How do I know which PSU i can use?

virtuality

Hey everyone my PSU slowly and painfully died after a few months of struggle with it.

Now I'm in search of a new one.

I know how to replace parts etc and how to plug cables but what I don't know is which PSU I need mostly how much power it needs to have.

I have quite an old system:

SPECS: 

CPU: i5 650

GPU: ASUS Gts 450 direct-cu

MEMORY: 6gig's DD3 

BROKEN-PSU: Cooler Master V450 it has 450w

STORAGE: 1TB WD BLUE

I'll be getting a new system by the middle of the year but I still want this one fixed and I'd like to go as cheap as possible.

So I am wondering how much power a PSU needs to run the given components.

I mostly do programming on the computer but sometimes I like to play TES skyrim 

It also runs two monitors one is 1080p and the other one is 900P

So that's all I do.

Thanks for the help.

If you go to pc part picker and enter your parts it should tell you from their how much voltage you draw. I'd assume that you can just get another 450w. 

@virtuality Check this list

Don't forget to quote or mention me

Primary PC:

CPU: i5-8600K @Stock  GPU: RTX 2060 Zotac GAMING Amp  RAM: 4x4GB 2400 MHz DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport LT  MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A  HDD: 4 TB 5400 RPM Seagate Barracuda, 2TB 7200 RPM Seagate Backup Plus Ultra Slim  SSD: Inland Professional 120 GB  Soundcard: built in  Case: NZXT H500i  Screen: HP 22cwa IPS

Server: Working on it (See https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1039535-server-build/)

Laptop : Microsoft Surface Pro 5:

CPU: i5-7300U  GPU: Intel HD 620  RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 1866 MHz  MOBO: Microsoft Custom  SSD: Internal M.2  Soundcard: built in  Case: lol its a laptop  Screen: see case: lol its a laptop

Phone: Google Pixel:

CPU: Qualcomm 821  GPU: Adreno 530  RAM: 4GB LPDDR4X  Storage: 32GB eMMC  Display: 5" 16:9 1080x1920p Corning Gorilla Glass 4

Dog: Shorty, Absolute Mutt:

Ears: Floppy  Tail: Long  Paws: Muddy  Fur: Brown

Cats: Chili and Cheddar (Don't Ask):

Cute: Yes  Fur: Soft  Tail: In front of you whacking your face

Cereal: 

Dry: NOPE  With Milk: Cinnamon Toast Crunch  Milk: Whole % Vitamin D  Hot: Quaker Instant Maple  Steel Cooked: Wegmans with Sweetened Condensed Milk

Coffee:

Type: Latte  Caffeinated: very much so  Milk: Yes

Game consoles:

PC ALL THE WAY

Don't forget to quote or mention me

Primary PC:

CPU: i5-8600K @Stock  GPU: RTX 2060 Zotac GAMING Amp  RAM: 4x4GB 2400 MHz DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport LT  MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A  HDD: 4 TB 5400 RPM Seagate Barracuda, 2TB 7200 RPM Seagate Backup Plus Ultra Slim  SSD: Inland Professional 120 GB  Soundcard: built in  Case: NZXT H500i  Screen: HP 22cwa IPS

Server: Working on it (See https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1039535-server-build/)

Laptop : Microsoft Surface Pro 5:

CPU: i5-7300U  GPU: Intel HD 620  RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 1866 MHz  MOBO: Microsoft Custom  SSD: Internal M.2  Soundcard: built in  Case: lol its a laptop  Screen: see case: lol its a laptop

Phone: Google Pixel:

CPU: Qualcomm 821  GPU: Adreno 530  RAM: 4GB LPDDR4X  Storage: 32GB eMMC  Display: 5" 16:9 1080x1920p Corning Gorilla Glass 4

Dog: Shorty, Absolute Mutt:

Ears: Floppy  Tail: Long  Paws: Muddy  Fur: Brown

Cats: Chili and Cheddar (Don't Ask):

Cute: Yes  Fur: Soft  Tail: In front of you whacking your face

Cereal: 

Dry: NOPE  With Milk: Cinnamon Toast Crunch  Milk: Whole % Vitamin D  Hot: Quaker Instant Maple  Steel Cooked: Wegmans with Sweetened Condensed Milk

Coffee:

Type: Latte  Caffeinated: very much so  Milk: Yes

Game consoles:

PC ALL THE WAY

8 minutes ago, virtuality said:

Hey everyone my PSU slowly and painfully died after a few months of struggle with it.

Now I'm in search of a new one.

I know how to replace parts etc and how to plug cables but what I don't know is which PSU I need mostly how much power it needs to have.

I have quite an old system:

SPECS: 

CPU: i5 650

GPU: ASUS Gts 450 direct-cu

MEMORY: 6gig's DD3 

BROKEN-PSU: Cooler Master V450 it has 450w

STORAGE: 1TB WD BLUE

I'll be getting a new system by the middle of the year but I still want this one fixed and I'd like to go as cheap as possible.

So I am wondering how much power a PSU needs to run the given components.

I mostly do programming on the computer but sometimes I like to play TES skyrim 

It also runs two monitors one is 1080p and the other one is 900P

So that's all I do.

Thanks for the help.

Coolermaster do a PSU calculator and pcpartpicker uses one too (coolermaster might be better since pcpartpicker might not have some of the parts listed)

http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

I input some of the details you mentioned and it suggested 400W. Sounds about right

CPU
Intel® Core i9 9900K 8 Core 16 Threads
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG Strix Z390-E
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB
Graphics Card
MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio

1st Drive

500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVME 

2nd Drive

1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVME
3rd Hard Disk
480GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
4th Hard Disk
2TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM

5th Hard Disk
2TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET 
Processor Cooling
Corsair H150i Pr 360mm AIO

Case:

Lian Li O11 Air

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Whoa so many replies you lot are awesome.

To answer a few questions.

I'm from Croatia, once I get myself the new PC i plan on giving the other one to my sister for use so i'd like to have both of them working and I'm on a tight budget at the moment.

I Am checking all the resources given too and I appreciate all the help given.

Also I tend to buy from a local store so if anyone's willing to help This is the website i buy my items from.
The prices are in Croatian Kuna 100 kunas = 15 usd.

http://makromedia.hr/katalog/komponente/napajanja/

Thanks for helping me out everyone.

7 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

Prices and availability of PC parts can vary wildly depending on location.

True, but with access to the psu tier list and the recommendation they should be able to cross reference to find something in their area... I also didn't take the consideration of what their future build might be and if they wanted to reuse the PSU for that. Plenty of cooks in this kitchen though, I'll see myself out

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Tbh I wouldn't go as cheap as possible on a power supply. If it's rubbish you won't be happy with it.

Go get a Gold certified PSU if possible. Like one from Seasonic, they give you 10 years of warranty! 

15 minutes ago, AKinsey2468 said:

No. That tool overrates the wattage quite a bit just so you buy a more expensive PSU 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

DO NOT get a cheap PSU!  That is one place you don't want to cheap-out on.  If any other part is defective, it can usually be replaced without taking out others with it, but if a PSU fails spectacularly (it happens), it can kill everything it is connected to.  That happened to me this summer.  A cheap power supply killed a mobo, CPU, 2 crossfire video cards, and the memory.  I always look at the warranty a company is willing to offer as a good idea of how much faith they have in their products.  Some EVGA supplies have a 5, 7, or even 10 year warranty.