The REAL Solution to the NOTCH

jakkuh_t

We take a look at all of the different all-screen phone designs, including an exciting new idea.

Buy the Vivo Nex Dual Display: 
On Amazon: https://lmg.gg/8KV9g

Buy the Google Pixel 3 XL:  
On Amazon: https://lmg.gg/8KV9x

Buy the Oppo Find X:  
On Amazon: https://lmg.gg/8KV9G

Buy the Xiaomi Mi Mix 3:  
On Amazon: https://lmg.gg/8KV9D

Buy the iPhone XR:
On Amazon: https://lmg.gg/8KV9v

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

please please please do a full review of the VIVO NEX dual display It's a very useful phone for nerds who attend alot of conventions(SDCC, NYCC, SXSW, PAX, RTX etc) and prefer full photos of them and their context (taken by a friendly stranger) as opposed to a narcissistic selfie.

12 minutes ago, AlbertW035 said:

please please please do a full review of the VIVO NEX dual display It's a very useful phone for nerds who attend alot of conventions(SDCC, NYCC, SXSW, PAX, RTX etc) and prefer full photos of them and their context (taken by a friendly stranger) as opposed to a narcissistic selfie.

i refer you to this thread

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Solution: bezels.

I rest my case.

It's so simple and effective; it might just work!!!!

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Notch: a solution to the problem that doesn't exists

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

nah, i like notches more

you're allowed to judge me

Image result for judging meme

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

I find having a second screen is a great solution but it doesn't solve everything. So where do you do the speakers (though that also has a few solutions but its never really the same), where do you leave the face scanner or even iris scanner? Where do you leave the light sensor? The notification LED?

I'm fine with having a black bar on the front that just contains these things. I don't mind that my device still has that. It helps gripping the phone too and I would much rather have a bigger battery (life) or better camera's to take my shots. The second screen could already help us make use of the better cameras and give us some solutions for other problems, but in my book it doesn't replace some of the sensors I really like to use

I'm all for thin bezels on computer monitors but on phones, especially when it comes at the expense of usability and appearance, I just think it's silly; I was mortified when I found out my brother's phone didn't have a hardware home button (LG K4 2017) but now the joke's on me since I'm getting an LG G3, a phone with the same problem. Anyway, I will wait for this to blow over in one way or another and then laugh at and speculate upon the next silly phone trend.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

Ya wanna know the real solution?

Don't have a smartphone.

don't @ me plz

Best solution: Keep the bezels. They make it so you can't accidentally touch the screen, and don't compromise any functionality. They also allow for better protection, because with bezels you can comfortably have a case that makes the screen a little recessed into the phone, so if you drop it face down it has a much better chance of survival.

This whole "kill the bezels!" thing is so immature it hurts. People should care about real things, like durability or battery life.

Under screen fingerprint scanners though? That's fucking awesome. Also, the dual screens DOES seem cool, because you can use your full camera instead of a crappy secondary camera (as said in the video).

But if any of it affects battery life, screw it. I wish the phone companies would start a battery life war sooooo bad. It's one of the most important things on ANY portable device. If the damn thing died because you forgot to charge it the night before, then it's a useless brick. But hey, at least it'll look pretty!

I'm gonna miss my s5 when the time comes. Thankfully, that's still probably a couple of years away, or a little more if I really stretch like I did with my 3GS.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

3 hours ago, 2Buck said:

Best solution: Keep the bezels. They make it so you can't accidentally touch the screen, and don't compromise any functionality. They also allow for better protection, because with bezels you can comfortably have a case that makes the screen a little recessed into the phone, so if you drop it face down it has a much better chance of survival.

believe or not, I used to accidentally touch back button of my samsung s3, 

after so many yrs, I learn that we are all holding the phone with one hand wrongly. imagine holding a big phone (note)by  one hand, you cant firmly hold and use if you grip at bottom. you should place 4 fingers spread out in middle and let gravity do its job, while the thumb could nearly touch the 4 corners

We'll go back to bezels once 100% of screen area is used and screen area is no longer a sign of wealth or being on the cutting edge. When everyone has and can afford a fullscreen phone, then a sign of a phone looking expensive, rich, and new will be having bezels. Why? Because humans like frames. They're on designer eyewear, mounted photographs or artwork, architecture, margins in books... they're everywhere. Visible Displays might be the only item in human history to buck this trend because for the past 80 years it's been difficult to uncurve the frame (CRTs) then remove the frame (LCDs). Hell, there's no mainstream attempt to remove bezels on projector screens because there's zero technical limitation to snipping the one or two inches of black edging from the canvas and they improve the theater experience. Bezel-less phones are a predetermined doomed fad.

15 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Solution: bezels.

I rest my case.

What's that? Dual front speakers? Sounds like function over form, we can't have that.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence