Running Out of PCIe Lanes

GeoSquigg

I have a 2200g on a b450 chipset. Because of the apu, I only have 8 lanes availabl. I know i can run a graphics card at x8 speed and have minimal, if any, decrease in performance. My question is, what would happen if I had NVMe storage?? Couldn't find anything and I'm genuinely curious. 

~~~~Started Folding - Feb 7, 2019~~~~

NVMe will take the dedicated lanes built into ryzen. It has 4 separate for a drive,and a second NVMe drive will take from the chipset.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

NVMe will take the dedicated lanes built into ryzen. It has 4 separate for a drive,and a second NVMe drive will take from the chipset.

Having the 2 drives and Say I add a usb card and a sata expansion card, both being x1. Would the graphics card just run at x6 speeds ??

All just hypothetical, just trying to figure out how it works lol

The x1 devices would run off the chipset lanes, not CPU lanes. So you still have 8x to GPU.

Edit: double check the mobo manual to see which slots are connected to where.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 minutes ago, GeoSquigg said:

Having the 2 drives and Say I add a usb card and a sata expansion card, both being x1. Would the graphics card just run at x6 speeds ??

All just hypothetical, just trying to figure out how it works lol

A GPU can't tun at x6, the only available modes are x16, x8, and x4.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

11 minutes ago, GeoSquigg said:

I have a 2200g on a b450 chipset. Because of the apu, I only have 8 lanes availabl. I know i can run a graphics card at x8 speed and have minimal, if any, decrease in performance. My question is, what would happen if I had NVMe storage?? Couldn't find anything and I'm genuinely curious. 

Zen processors have 4 additional lanes for generic use. This is normally assigned to the NVMe slot.

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

A GPU can't tun at x6, the only available modes are x16, x8, and x4.

7 minutes ago, porina said:

The x1 devices would run off the chipset lanes, not CPU lanes. So you still have 8x to GPU.

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Zen processors have 4 additional lanes for generic use. This is normally assigned to the NVMe slot.

If I'm understanding this right,

if i had the 2 x4 drives and 2 x1 cards, the gpu would run at x4 speed(since htats the highest available/compatible speed)? Or Would something get disabled

1 minute ago, GeoSquigg said:

if i had the 2 x4 drives and 2 x1 cards, the gpu would run at x4 speed(since htats the highest available/compatible speed)? Or Would something get disabled

No.

PCIe x16 slots meant for video cards always get their own set of PCIe lanes. Nothing else will touch it (well, unless you're using an HEDT platform but that's another can of worms). The additional PCIe lanes come from other sources, primarily from the chipset.

27 minutes ago, GeoSquigg said:

What is your mobo?

You could have up to 16x from CPU to GPU

You have one 4x from CPU to M.2 NVMe

All other slots will connect to chipset lanes. I understand B450 does not support splitting the CPU lanes to two slots.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

37 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

so if I'm reading this right, Ryzen has 20 PCI-E lanes, 16 for the GPU and 4 for NVME use? kinda wanna rip out the current m.2 drive and get an NVME drive now....

Just looked up OP's mobo in profile, and based on product page (not looked in manual).

It has:

16x slot from CPU, supporting up to 16x PCIe 3.0 depending on CPU

16x slot running at 4x PCIe 2.0 if the 1x slots are not used, and at 2x if they are.

16x slot running at 1x PCIe 2.0

1x slot running at 1x PCIe 2.0

There are two M.2 connectors, both supporting PCIe NVMe drives. One supports 4x 3.0, the other supports 2x 3.0 only.

I'd assume the 16x 3.0 slot, and M.2 4x are the two connected to the CPU, and the others are all connected via chipset.

Edit: B450 chipset has 6 PCIe 2.0 lanes for general use. This ties up with the up to 4x to slots, and 2x to 2nd M.2 connector. Gigabytes web page probably has a typo saying the M.2 2x is PCIe 3.0 when it is probably 2.0.