Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yiannis15

Unplugging PSU when working on PC always?

I usually keep it plugged in with the switch off and haven't electrocuted my self yet, that said if you have a shady power supply it may be best to unplug it while you work on it.

Keep it plugged in with the switch off. That way the PC is grounded. 

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, PeytonG said:

I usually keep it plugged in with the switch off and haven't electrocuted my self yet, that said if you have a shady power supply it may be best to unplug it while you work on it.

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Ok is it necessary to press the power switch to empty the capacitors? Also the wall should be on or off?

4 hours ago, Yiannis15 said:

Ok is it necessary to press the power switch to empty the capacitors? Also the wall should be on or off?

Wouldn't hurt to press it once, but I never have

Wall on or off?? You mean the breaker?? Keep it on 

~~~~Started Folding - Feb 7, 2019~~~~

4 hours ago, seon123 said:

never though about it. dang thats helpful.

usually i unplug it when i work on it but mostly because i physically take it to a different table then. one my stupid ass was "repairing" a PSU (so no PC connected to it) because the fan was rattling and i thought why not just change the fan im sure its just a 3-pin. so i removed the shroud and plugged it in to see what exactly was causing the rattling. didnt find a reason other than the  fan itself. pulled it out. plugged in the new one and ZAPP!! lights out and my heart doing a 360. my stupid ass forgot to unplug it or turn it off before getting my fingers in there. so i put the breaker back in and ran the psu on a tester. seemned fine and still works today.

tldr: not sure if keeping the plug in for ground is neccessary i never did but you should definitly do one of the 2 either unplug it or turn it off before you get your hands in there

"I know its stupidly overdone and unreasonably unneccesary but wouldnt it be awesome if ..."

CPU: Delidded i7 7700k (watercooled) Cooling: 3x 360 rads by Alphacool  MB: ASUS z270i  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB  GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled)  DISPLAY: LG 34UC88-B 21:9 1440p SSD(OS): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD(Games): Corsair MP510 960GB SSD(Applikations): Samsung 850 EVO 500GB  HDD(Scratch): WD Blue 500GB HDD(Downloads): WD Blue 320GB HDD(Long-term): WD Green 2TB (external)   PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 D Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon

Posted · Original PosterOP
41 minutes ago, GeoSquigg said:

Wouldn't hurt to press it once, but I never have

Wall on or off?? You mean the breaker?? Keep it on 

I mean the socket on the wall which delivers electricity

2 minutes ago, Yiannis15 said:

I mean the socket on the wall which delivers electricity

leave it pluged in

~~~~Started Folding - Feb 7, 2019~~~~