Os for file server and plex! Pls

Hello !! 

Looking to pick the LTT community to help me figure out which os is best to host a file server and a plex server with hw transcoding using a old nivida gpu

budget?

what old gpu?

How much storage do you need? 

OS depends on needs, all the modern ones will work fine like unraid, windows, debian, centos, and others.

9 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

budget?

what old gpu?

How much storage do you need? 

OS depends on needs, all the modern ones will work fine like unraid, windows, debian, centos, and others.

About 600 and 12tb also a gtx 780. I would like to use it for hw transcoding 

7 minutes ago, Froggeraj said:

About 600 and 12tb also a gtx 780. I would like to use it for hw transcoding 

Do you have any other parts?

Id probably get something like a ryzen 1700, 16gb of ram, a b350 or b450 board. A ssd for boot.

Then Id get those 8tb external drives and remove them from their casing for storage.

The 780 will work fine, but Something like a 1700 will already do a lot of transocding with better quality and doesn't need plex pass(are you using plex?) 

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you have any other parts?

Id probably get something like a ryzen 1700, 16gb of ram, a b350 or b450 board. A ssd for boot.

Then Id get those 8tb external drives and remove them from their casing for storage.

The 780 will work fine, but Something like a 1700 will already do a lot of transocding with better quality and doesn't need plex pass(are you using plex?) 

Yes I'm going to use plex. What os is good for plex and file server 

Just now, Froggeraj said:

OS doesn't really matter, its what you want to use, unraid, freenas, windows, ubuntu and others will all work fine.

7 minutes ago, Froggeraj said:

I will echo what @Electronics Wizardy said... What OS is good for Plex? The answer is yes.

Hardware accelerated transcoding (as long as the OS can appropriately recognize and support the GPU) is done through Plex settings. So the limiting factor may not be the OS but rather the hardware you plan to use. I am personally curious though... what sort of CPU are you planning to use? How come you want to use GPU acceleration?

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

As of now I'm looking to possibly reuse my ryzen 5 2400g. And I just heard that gpu encoding was good for plex. And if you guys have any insight my goal is to use raid. Is there a way to use raid inside of linux?

3 hours ago, Froggeraj said:

As of now I'm looking to possibly reuse my ryzen 5 2400g. And I just heard that gpu encoding was good for plex. And if you guys have any insight my goal is to use raid. Is there a way to use raid inside of linux?

How many streams are you planning to run? A 2400g with no gpu should work fine for most uses.

You can easily use software raid on linux. What drive config do you want to use?

19 hours ago, Froggeraj said:

Hello !! 

Looking to pick the LTT community to help me figure out which os is best to host a file server and a plex server with hw transcoding using a old nivida gpu

If you have a limited CPU, and are relying on Hardware accelerated transcoding in Plex FreeNAS is off the table.  FreeNAS just doesn't handle VM's as well as UnRaid does.

UnRaid seems to do better in allowing hardware accelerating in a VM.

I love my FreeNAS server, and honestly I do not have any problems with the older i7-4790k handling way more 1080p streams than my Network connection can support.  I've stressed it with about 9 streams.  It will do about 2 4K streams, but not much else.  Then again, Plex's 4K HDR transcoding is broken as it doesn't handle the BT2020 color space conversion right.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

46 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How many streams are you planning to run? A 2400g with no gpu should work fine for most uses.

You can easily use software raid on linux. What drive config do you want to use?

4 3tb drives. in raid 5 

1 minute ago, Froggeraj said:

4 3tb drives. in raid 5 

Do you already have these, if not id get bigger drives.

But you can easily do that, id use zfs on linux.

6 minutes ago, Froggeraj said:

4 3tb drives. in raid 5 

and about 5ish streams at max. im hoping to direct play most of them and maybe have 2 over the internet at a time

32 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you already have these, if not id get bigger drives.

But you can easily do that, id use zfs on linux.

cool is there a tool or is it all command line based? and what sizes would you recommend? 

29 minutes ago, Froggeraj said:

and about 5ish streams at max. im hoping to direct play most of them and maybe have 2 over the internet at a time

a 2400g will do that alone easily then, no need for the gpu.

1 minute ago, Froggeraj said:

cool is there a tool or is it all command line based? and what sizes would you recommend? 

all commandline, its really the best way in linux.

Id get 8 or 10tb drives. HOw about these https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1433062-REG/wd_wdbwlg0100hbk_nesn_10tb_elements_desktop_hard.html

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

a 2400g will do that alone easily then, no need for the gpu.

all commandline, its really the best way in linux.

Id get 8 or 10tb drives. HOw about these https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1433062-REG/wd_wdbwlg0100hbk_nesn_10tb_elements_desktop_hard.html

so if i dont need the gpu would freenas be good to use?

27 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

freenas will work fine here.

thanks man! youve been alot of help!