Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReggieGRS

Is there a way to freeze a game?

Open up Resource Monitor (you can do so from Task Manager from the "Performance" tab), go to the CPU tab, find the app name, right click on it, and select "Suspend process"

You can also use Process Explorer.

EDIT: If you suspend a process, do not try to interact with it. Upon resuming the app may hang.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Or have it go into a hibernated mode sort of speak? A way where the system no longer attributes resources to it or as little as possible to keep it going minimized in the background (until user demands otherwise). Is something like that possible at all?

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

It's called saving and closing the game?

There are ways to "freeze" a game, but it won't clear its memory usage or anything, because then it'd crash.

CPU: Intel Core i7 875k / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB  / RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GBx2 DDR3-1600
MOBO: ASUS P7P55D-e LX / SSD: Intel 520 120GB / Case: Cooler Master HAF912 / PSU: Corsair TX850w / OS: Windows 10 Pro

you can do something similar with cheat engine by pausing the game entirely, but im not sure about its resource allocation and if any functions keep up in the background like as if you were farming something in minecraft and came back and its all grown, but you can always try

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

Just going off the title I was like "I got this radical concept where you can just pause a game with the push of a button" lol. Anyway yeah, save and close is the closest you're gonna get

r5 2400G | Noctua Nh l9x65 am4 | MSI b450i gaming ac | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB ddr4-3000 | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG | Silverstone ML08

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 8GB cheap ram | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Msi rx 560 aero itx | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Just run all your games in a VM and suspend the VM when you want to pause. EZ.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

Posted · Best Answer

Open up Resource Monitor (you can do so from Task Manager from the "Performance" tab), go to the CPU tab, find the app name, right click on it, and select "Suspend process"

EDIT: If you suspend a process, do not try to interact with it. Upon resuming the app may hang.

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I assume i'll be able to unsuspend it later? Also, won't that make the game crash as @TetraSky said?

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

there are ways as listed about...but why? what's wrong with just closing the game?

Uh... It's complicated... Actually, it's not. Its just inconvenient. Why, you ask? Currently, summer's overly hot where i live and it rains all the fucking time. Its a rural area where rain makes the energy unstable (frequent power outtages), right now, it's happening daily. My thought is, the PC under a heavy load of AAA game, my UPS will hold the PC for less time vs idling. As i said, closing the game and re-opening later is inconvenient as the outtages are unpredictable. It may last 5mins or 30. Sometimes it comes and goes repeatedly in a short amount of time which makes my UPS a bit crazy with all the beeping switching from battery to power outlet energy. I know, 1st world problems. Just thought there could be a way of playing my games and "freezing it" when necessary so it is not longer a heavy load while i wait power to return. Just pausing the game through ingame menus and alt-tabbing reduces a bit of cpu and gpu usages but not enough and my old cpu still keeps its high temps.

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

2 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

I assume i'll be able to unsuspend it later? Also, won't that make the game crash as @TetraSky said?

Yes, there's an option to resume the process. And no, it should not make the game crash. All it should do is freeze the RAM contents and stop the CPU and GPU from servicing it. Assuming that everything the game used can be ready at the drop of a pin, it should continue on as if nothing happened.