THQ nordic goes to 8chan to conduct an AMA

BlockedTheShot

So recently THQ went to 8chan to conduct an AMA. While some users posted genuine, respectable questions for THQ, THQ was met many offensive, racist and sexist questions.

Personally, I think THQ nordic should've done a little more research before conducting an AMA because in a lot of western imageboards(8chan, 4chan, 7chan, 420chan, etc), almost anything will go.

I will not be posting a link to the AMA or any images of it, go to 8chan /v/'s board if you wish to do so(at your own risk).

We're doing an 8chan AMA and we have no idea why. Come join us!

Damn....

i thought 8chan was supposed to be the more SFW version of 4chan.

with that said, what were they thinking would happen?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Not all people are involved in politics, so they thought that might have been a good idea.

They just didn't look too much into it and did an oopsie...

Jeremy H. did a video about it, wich is pretty balanced in this case (well, it ain't EA or Ubi)...

Should wwatch it...

No need to bash them for a mistake from the Marketing Department...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

11 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Not all people are involved in politics, so they thought that might have been a good idea.

They just didn't look too much into it and did an oopsie...

Jeremy H. did a video about it, wich is pretty balanced in this case (well, it ain't EA or Ubi)...

Should wwatch it...

No need to bash them for a mistake from the Marketing Department...

What? This isnt about politics? 8chan is just that kind of place

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Okay, for an oopsie, it is very hard for me to understand how it could have been made.

Everyone and their dog knows at this point about the infamy associated with 4chan. To the general public, it is already branded as "avoid at all cost", with the people remaining there holding a very strong "rooting for the underdog" mentality, as well as some highly questionable beliefs. 8chan sounds to a simpleton like an offshoot clone of 4chan.

So, to ask the question on the back of every gamer's mind: how did THQNordic think this was a good idea?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

any chan bad!

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

Actually no... It just made people make their own imageboard, it's far opposite than sfw and some board are full of illegal things I'm not telling here

And considering how many times those boards do not have moderators I wouldn't be surprised

Seriously, but first of all, what the hell did they thought to happen when asking an imageboard?

I'm surprised people also asked legitimate questions at all and not shit posted all the time

They are either stupid or actually know what would have happened just for laughing about it

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

what. Its the exact opposite. Also, most of the boards on 4chan are just as sfw as this forum is.

3 minutes ago, poochyena said:

what. Its the exact opposite. Also, most of the boards on 4chan are just as sfw as this forum is.

1 hour ago, Lukyp said:

Actually no... It just made people make their own imageboard, it's far opposite than sfw and some board are full of illegal things I'm not telling here

oooooooh, im an idiot, i'm thinking of 4channel

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, tp95112 said:

Why didnt they just use Reddit like everybody else? If they had even the smallest knowledge of the internet, they should have avoided it

I can just imagine the office conversation...

"Hey, Dave (whatever the Nordic names are translated to there)... I have this requests to make some sandwiches...

"Oh, great, where should we do this? In the kitchen, here?"

"Nah, let's go to the sewage treatment plant, oh, and take some dead carcases while you are at it... that's how chefs cook, right?"

13 minutes ago, Arika S said:

oooooooh, im an idiot, i'm thinking of 4channel

4channel is the sfw version of 4chan, it doesnt contain any of the NFSW boards

edit: nvm i see what you're saying yes you're right it's 4channel.

I'm not even sure how you make this mistake.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Could just have done it on Twitter. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

7 hours ago, Arika S said:

A SFW version of 4chan is still not very SFW. 4chan is already pretty awful, 8chan just makes it slightly more bearable. 

What did THQ think would happen though?  

8 minutes ago, 1kv said:

A SFW version of 4chan is still not very SFW. 4chan is already pretty awful, 8chan just makes it slightly more bearable. 

What did THQ think would happen though?  

The general idea would be they could actually have a free flowing conversation. The problem is the "crapflooding" effect. 8chan does have minor automoderation, but if there is enough concerted effort anyone can take over.

"Open Forums" work okay in the real world because there are actually de facto moderation effects in place. (At any point, you can actually say something that will cause others to have legal cover to kill you.  All interpersonal communication is, at some level, self-moderated.) Online, that isn't the case. Something like 8chan you run into the "one bad apple" problem, which means if there is any malicious actors out there against you, for any reason, you're in for trouble.

Most of the time, this stuff happens because there are evil assholes out there, but, with a company involved, you can never quite know if it wasn't paid for by another company to hurt their brand. That is a "thing" and it's been going on since the start of the WWW.

I really don't understand the stigma of hating any entity that even thinks about using any of the chans, it's literally just an ama on a site of their choice. None of these sites condone illegal activity, it just so happens that since they've been around much longer and are completely anonymous that they even see that kind of activity in the first place. There is no denying how they are toxic cesspits, but I see modern internet culture catering way too hard to easily offended individuals, so it's refreshing to see THQ deviate a bit.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

still better than doing it on reddit or worse interview at one of the "game journalists". At least on chan it won't get censored

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

This marketing attempt is so obvious it deserve to be on /r/oopsdidntmeanto

What I meant with this is that I do not believe for a second that THQ Nordic went "oopsies, we didn't know what kind of site 8chan was".

Little history lesson because I see a lot of people in this thread being confused.

8chan was created back in 2013 because some considered 4chan to be too heavily moderated (for example threads about Gamergate started being deleted and users banned). 8chan is kind of a hybrid between 4chan and 8chan Reddit, but with less moderation than neither.

THQ went on to do an AMA on 8chan and to me it is pretty obvious that they knew exactly what they were doing. Companies do AMAs for one reason, marketing and exposure. Reddit has like a dozen big AMAs every week so it's hard to stick out and get the exposure you want.

However, by going to a controversial website and doing it, all of a sudden everyone is talking about it. THQ Nordic is getting way more exposure now than they would if they just went the safe Reddit route, and that was exactly their goal with the entire thing.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

What I meant with this is that I do not believe for a second that THQ Nordic went "oopsies, we didn't know what kind of site 8chan was".

Little history lesson because I see a lot of people in this thread being confused.

8chan was created back in 2013 because some considered 4chan to be too heavily moderated (for example threads about Gamergate started being deleted and users banned). 8chan is kind of a hybrid between 4chan and 8chan, but with less moderation than neither.

THQ went on to do an AMA on 8chan and to me it is pretty obvious that they knew exactly what they were doing. Companies do AMAs for one reason, marketing and exposure. Reddit has like a dozen big AMAs every week so it's hard to stick out and get the exposure you want.

However, by going to a controversial website and doing it, all of a sudden everyone is talking about it. THQ Nordic is getting way more exposure now than they would if they just went the safe Reddit route, and that was exactly their goal with the entire thing.

It has to be like that, how they would even knew about 8ch