LTX 2019 Featuring DreamHack Questions Megathread

CPotter
15 hours ago, AppleRepairLady said:

This may sound like weird questions, but going to ask anyway. I'm a total newbie to gaming. My son and I are coming up from Oregon and will be doing the BYOC. What are the minimum specs that you will need to play games? I don't mind looking like the village idiot, but I would really like my son to have a computer that will do well there. He can't bring his brand new gaming computer, (will not let him, to expensive) and all we have currently is (from my stash) a HP Xeon Z600, 2x quad cores, but old and the graphics card will be a 2gb at best. Will that work? This trip with hotel is getting spendy and was hoping to not have to purchase a newer system just for this trip and then have the guilt and shame of returning it when we get back home.

Thanks much for any advice you have.

Also, my computer is a gaming laptop. Lenovo Legion Y530, just bought it. Hopefully it will be good enough for the basic games?

@AppleRepairLady If your son is planning on participating in any of the 4 official tournaments (Rocket League, Rainbow 6 Siege, Overwatch, and League of Legends), then I would suggest making sure the PC he games on will meet and exceed the minimum system requirements for these games, and preferably at the recommended specs . Otherwise, just make sure whichever game he has in his collection he will be playing at the event will be supported by the PC he can bring.

Rocket League System Requirements: https://support.rocketleague.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020051214-What-are-the-minimum-system-requirements-on-Steam-

Rainbow 6 Siege System Requirements: https://support.ubi.com/en-us/faqs/000024693/Minimum-Requirements-PC-RSIX7/

Overwatch System Requirements: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/65159

League of Legends System Requirements: https://support.riotgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/201752654-Minimum-and-Recommended-System-Requirements

Other games/events mentioned by Dreamhack as popular at the events include build-offs in Minecraft and Terraria, private free-for-all servers in PUBG and Fortnite, and 32v32 brawls in Quake and UT.

Alternatively, you can also check system requirements for other games at https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Your gaming laptop will have no problem playing any of the 4 listed official tournament games.

On 7/15/2019 at 12:21 PM, CPotter said:

LOL, of course people will have time for signing autographs. Maybe not EVERYONE depending on what they're doing and where they're going, but that's one of the main priorities of the event.

Thanks, :) 

Awesome! Thanks for the reply! Look out for the green dragons :P

Linus mentioned on the wan show today there would be a tech vendor (the name escapes me atm) at the event; what are the odds I could just buy a monitor either at the event or in the days leading up to it? I'm flying from the states and can't really travel with an ultrawide....

On 7/16/2019 at 4:01 AM, AppleRepairLady said:

This may sound like weird questions, but going to ask anyway. I'm a total newbie to gaming. My son and I are coming up from Oregon and will be doing the BYOC. What are the minimum specs that you will need to play games? I don't mind looking like the village idiot, but I would really like my son to have a computer that will do well there. He can't bring his brand new gaming computer, (will not let him, to expensive) and all we have currently is (from my stash) a HP Xeon Z600, 2x quad cores, but old and the graphics card will be a 2gb at best. Will that work? This trip with hotel is getting spendy and was hoping to not have to purchase a newer system just for this trip and then have the guilt and shame of returning it when we get back home.

Thanks much for any advice you have.

Also, my computer is a gaming laptop. Lenovo Legion Y530, just bought it. Hopefully it will be good enough for the basic games?

Easiest way to know would be to install the games on the computer you plan to bring and see how they perform before going on the trip. You can also try temporarily swapping the GPU from the new build to the one you plan to bring and see how that performs. Then when traveling just store the GPU separately and quickly install it at the event.

Also if you haven't already, you can check out how to travel with computers video:

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

On 7/20/2019 at 3:04 AM, Handmeat said:

Linus mentioned on the wan show today there would be a tech vendor (the name escapes me atm) at the event; what are the odds I could just buy a monitor either at the event or in the days leading up to it? I'm flying from the states and can't really travel with an ultrawide....

Memory Express. They have brick and mortar stores you can buy from as well. I assume they would only be bringing small items like GPUs and CPUs for the deconstruction/delidding booths.

On 7/20/2019 at 7:09 AM, colonel_mortis said:

@CPotter will there be anywhere to leave bags (cloakroom or something)?

No cloakrooms or anything like that sadly. :( 

Is everything suddenly CAD only in Canada or is USD accepted at most major places? I'm talking cash, not cards.

5 hours ago, YevNi said:

Is everything suddenly CAD only in Canada or is USD accepted at most major places? I'm talking cash, not cards.

From what I understand in doing research, most places will accept USD but there will be a surcharge for conversion to CAD. Your best bet is to get your currency exchanged before leaving at your local bank/credit union. ATMs and banks both in canada and at the airport will have much higher conversion rates.

11 hours ago, DaiGurenMK42 said:

Memory Express. They have brick and mortar stores you can buy from as well. I assume they would only be bringing small items like GPUs and CPUs for the deconstruction/delidding booths.

@CPotter can you confirm?

Edit: confirmed by Silva in the discord, MemEx will have monitors for sale.

Sorry if this was already answered but for the panels will there be floatplane vods if you miss the stream?

Thanks!

10 hours ago, 1re said:

Sorry if this was already answered but for the panels will there be floatplane vods if you miss the stream?

Thanks!

I'm actually not 100% sure on the current functionality of Floatplane... Probably not though IIRC.

7 hours ago, CPotter said:

I'm actually not 100% sure on the current functionality of Floatplane... Probably not though IIRC.

Please try to find a way to upload the entire WAN show and all the other streams of LTX in some form, even if it is just a download link.

@CPotter So just a few days away, did you need my help before or after the event?

(Edit) Should I bring extra CPUs for people to practice on for the deliding?

On 7/16/2019 at 4:28 PM, xorkon said:

@AppleRepairLady If your son is planning on participating in any of the 4 official tournaments (Rocket League, Rainbow 6 Siege, Overwatch, and League of Legends), then I would suggest making sure the PC he games on will meet and exceed the minimum system requirements for these games, and preferably at the recommended specs . Otherwise, just make sure whichever game he has in his collection he will be playing at the event will be supported by the PC he can bring.

Rocket League System Requirements: https://support.rocketleague.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020051214-What-are-the-minimum-system-requirements-on-Steam-

Rainbow 6 Siege System Requirements: https://support.ubi.com/en-us/faqs/000024693/Minimum-Requirements-PC-RSIX7/

Overwatch System Requirements: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/65159

League of Legends System Requirements: https://support.riotgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/201752654-Minimum-and-Recommended-System-Requirements

Other games/events mentioned by Dreamhack as popular at the events include build-offs in Minecraft and Terraria, private free-for-all servers in PUBG and Fortnite, and 32v32 brawls in Quake and UT.

Alternatively, you can also check system requirements for other games at https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Your gaming laptop will have no problem playing any of the 4 listed official tournament games.

Thank you for all the info!  We decided to build one for the trip. It's been quite a few years since I built a PC (Apple ACMT tech).It was really fun. Picked up a Ryzen 7 CPU, great motherboard and memory, and a awesome white case! Which we will be hauling around with are multicolored "sharpies", hunting autographs from celebs. We are pretty excited! I couldn't think of a better souvenir to take home and admire for years. We have a nice padded case with wheels so we can haul it around without getting in anyones way.

Good to know my gaming laptop will work fine. I will still look like the village idiot, but I'm going to love being that idiot. Yay!

Hey I want to know how I can get in touch with the A/V production team. Can someone message me their contact?