Setting up RDP to a VM created in Hyper-V

ThunderDave

Hi Guys, 

I'm all googled out and completely stuck now with a project. 
I've been tasked with setting up MS Access on an old server (running 2012 R2) that will allow 4 users to access for the application and files. 

I would like to start by saying I have never done this before and networking/VM is definitely not my strong point and I have never done this before, so have been relying on youtube and google. 

I have set up a VM using Hyper -V and installed the OS on it. However, I am unable to RDP into it from the Host Server or from my PC which is on the same network. I keep getting the response 'The logon attempt failed'. 

I have set up a virtual switch for the connection, enabled RDP on it, allowed RDP through the firewall and am able to ping the VM from my PC. 

I am now at a loss, so figured I would ask you legends for advice! Any advice or KB articles you guys would be greatly appreciated! 

Hey,

Will these 4 users need to be logged on at the same time? If so, you will need to ensure you have necessary RDSH roles and licensing installed and configured.

If the server is joined to a domain then:

Have you defined 'Allow users to connect remotely by using Remote Desktop Services' in the group policy (Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Remote Desktop Services -> Remote Desktop Session Host -> Connections) ?

Are you attempting to RDP with a domain or a local account? 

If the server is not joined to a domain, you should still be able to define above with gpedit.msc (Windows Key + R for run dialog).

Are you receiving the 'The logon attempt failed' error after putting in credentials?

Thanks for the response! 

The users would most likely be logged in at the same time, if possible. However, as I'm doing this on the cheap I would have to consider this with the licensing. 

I have defined the 'Allow users to connect' in the group policy, as you mentioned above. The server is the domain controller but none of the PCs that will use RDP are on the domain. 

I receive the 'logon attempt failed' after putting in full credentials. 

Does the VM OS need to be set up on the domain? 

16 hours ago, ThunderDave said:

Thanks for the response! 

The users would most likely be logged in at the same time, if possible. However, as I'm doing this on the cheap I would have to consider this with the licensing. 

I have defined the 'Allow users to connect' in the group policy, as you mentioned above. The server is the domain controller but none of the PCs that will use RDP are on the domain. 

I receive the 'logon attempt failed' after putting in full credentials. 

Does the VM OS need to be set up on the domain? 

So to recap, you have a Windows Server 2012 running as the Domain Controller and will also allow people RDP access to it. 

What credentials are you attempting to log in with to the server over RDP? Are they domain credentials? They will have to be domain credentials in order to connect. Also, this is kind of stupid but checking anyway, ensure that you are using the correct domain for the user account when you're trying to log in. For example, with a NETBIOS name of the DC being WORK, you would be logging on as 'WORK\Username' and not just 'Username' as a lot of workstations will default to trying to RDP with the computer name of the one you are connecting from. For example, attempting to RDP to that server from a computer named 'WIN-JDH329' with the username 'Username' will actually pass the credentials on to the server as 'WIN-JDH329\Username' which the server will find as not correct credentials.

I would add 'Domain Admins' group to the list of users allowed to connect in the group policy you defined and then do a gpupdate /force command in cmd as admin and then try signing in as a user that's inside the Domain Admins group.

So you've got 2 "servers" running, I shall call them: Hyper-V01 and RDS01 (running M$ Access). When you log into RDS01 through a console window, what account are you using (local or domain)?

If local and the account is say Robert, then when you RDP you should put in RDS01\Robert for the Login

If domain and the account is say Robert, then when you RDP you should put in NAMEofYOURDOMAIN.Whatever\Robert for the login.

If you're genuinely trying to license this the right way, you will need CAL licensing for RDS, and you will need a volume license for Access/Office. Each user CAL for RDS is roughly $150, and if all four are going to log in at once then you need 4 user CALs. Office VL I think is around $400 per server.

Wondering if you might have the network options on your VM wrong. I know with VirtualBox you need to set it to bridged in order to access it on the LAN. Can you ping the vm with another one on the same subnet? Or from the host machine? Is the VM OS for DCHP or static? You also might look in the event viewer and see if there are any generated errors.