GOG (Good Old Games) is struggling financially

Andreas Lilja
13 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Do you need a seperate pc for that? Can't you just run windows xp in a virtual machine on top of modern windows 10 or Linux?

Having a separate machine can be both easier (not having to fork around with issues), and a lot of times happens just as a matter of course.  If you've been into PC gaming and haven't been selling all the old gear, you'd easily find yourself with old PCs that aren't worth selling and work great for old tittles.

I've a number of them holding up shelves.

I really hope GOG doesn't go under. I don't buy anything from them myself, because... well, they don't have the kinds of games I like. Still, they're a really good alternative to have around for anyone who does like those games and I would be sad to see the only, real non-DRM store die.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

Do you need a seperate pc for that? Can't you just run windows xp in a virtual machine on top of modern windows 10 or Linux?

The point of GOG is that you don't have to run games using "hacks". You just run them on latest OS.

16 hours ago, elderago said:

Man I love gog I have a windows xp pc and play old games on it. Most of those games are from gog. If gog goes under alot of us classic pc game enthusiasts are screwed. Physical copies can be rare or very expensive.

Side note Im really starting to hate the epic store. Iv already chosen to boycott epic over there anti-competitive tactics

3 hours ago, Humbug said:

As @RejZoR says, all games on GOG is supposed to have been modified to be able to run on newer OS without problems. People working at GOG modify the game to make it run as it should.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

41 minutes ago, Mihle said:

As @RejZoR says, all games on GOG is supposed to have been modified to be able to run on newer OS without problems. People working at GOG modify the game to make it run as it should.

Im aware but I have other games plus some games look really weird on my 27 inch 1440p monitor and look better at 1366 x 720.

Theres also something fun about useing really old hardware. I love playing tron 2.0 on a bfg 6600gt as it works flawlessly on that hardware.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

4 hours ago, Humbug said:

No a virtual machine is mnot meant for gaming, and technically you do not need a separete computer its just kinda a hobby.

The main reason for a seperete windows xp machine is that some old packaged games just dont run well on modern windows and need a ton of patching. Even then there maybe issues with certain things not workimg right. 

As for Why I play gog games on a windows xp machine ? Because I can but also a lot of the games dont look good on a 27 inch 1440p monitor.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

This kinda fits in with the closing of their 'Fair Price Package Program': https://www.gog.com/news/conclusion_of_the_bfair_price_packageb_program

Yeah... I had a feeling GOG is not doing very good. As much as I love and prefer GOG, they aren't that big of a player, with many causal PC gamers never hearing of them, or not really caring. (I can't tell you how many people I know who wont make a GOG account even though they don't need GOG's launcher at all, and a game they want is on sale there for 80% off)
I hope they start doing better soon.

The Fair Price thing I appreciated, but it's not end of the world.

6 hours ago, Sypran said:

This kinda fits in with the closing of their 'Fair Price Package Program': https://www.gog.com/news/conclusion_of_the_bfair_price_packageb_program

Yeah... I had a feeling GOG is not doing very good. As much as I love and prefer GOG, they aren't that big of a player, with many causal PC gamers never hearing of them, or not really caring. (I can't tell you how many people I know who wont make a GOG account even though they don't need GOG's launcher at all, and a game they want is on sale there for 80% off)

They are not doing that well, but they are neither going down. As their user agreement states: If they were going down they would inform their users at least 2 months before (because that is the time they promise to give for everyone to download their content and make copies) and that is as elcook (the PR guy in GOG) puts it "This is not only a legal obligation to you (users) but a core part of our ethics as a company." so if they were doing dangerously bad, they probably would tell about it and we would see a lot more laid offs and we would probably see some deep dives in the CD Projekts stock prices (which has been in slight rise all this time).

Also those old enough and who have known GOG for a long time probably remember the 2010 "closing" marketing stunt (which in my opinion was excelent, people were terrified and downloading their libraries in panic and then it was just "LoL, we just made a lot of changes to the site and service, everything is fine").

13 hours ago, Sypran said:

By that, GOGs effective cut in countries with other currencies have been about 18% on average until now.

Who knows, maybe this isn't about them not doing well, maybe they plan to lower the cut they take from 30% to something lower, for example 20%, and this is one way they can afford to do it? Only way to know is to wait and see what they do in the future.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

6 hours ago, Thaldor said:

They are not doing that well, but they are neither going down. As their user agreement states: If they were going down they would inform their users at least 2 months before (because that is the time they promise to give for everyone to download their content and make copies) and that is as elcook (the PR guy in GOG) puts it "This is not only a legal obligation to you (users) but a core part of our ethics as a company." so if they were doing dangerously bad, they probably would tell about it and we would see a lot more laid offs and we would probably see some deep dives in the CD Projekts stock prices (which has been in slight rise all this time).

Also those old enough and who have known GOG for a long time probably remember the 2010 "closing" marketing stunt (which in my opinion was excelent, people were terrified and downloading their libraries in panic and then it was just "LoL, we just made a lot of changes to the site and service, everything is fine").

I bet they could run at a loss for quite a while if they wanted to on the money from Witcher 3, but that they don't want that, they want gog to run with a profit independently. But yes, games would have been safe if they closed down. Well, as long as you could manage to keep a backup for yourself and don't loose it :)

-Stephen Hawking