Where is everyone staying? Looking for places.

Elektra57
15 hours ago, dizmo said:

If you stay in the hotel, maybe. That hotel is in Whalley, one of the worst parts of Surrey. The Surrey mayor once said "Air One (the RCMP helicopter used for the entire Lower Mainland) might as well be ours, it never leaves Whalley/Newton."

Avoid the skytrain at night. Surrey Central has one of the highest rates of disturbances.

For anyone staying in Whalley/Newton, rent a car and you should be fine since you won't be taking transit. No need to worry about the crazies if you're not on the skytrain or bus and just go to the car from the hotel.

Follow me on Twitter at: @edzelyago

18 hours ago, dizmo said:

@PrincessHeinz57 If you like ice cream, a place to definitely go check out is La Casa Gelato. They have something like 260 flavors on offer at once, and a catalog of over 500. It's pretty packed in the summer, but they offer small spoon samples of any flavor before you buy. It's a must stop place IMO.

I do, My kid has a severe nut/peanut allergy so I would feel bad eating ice cream in front of him. I may sneak though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor Motherboard: N7-B55XT-W1: [US-3DTC1-N] N7 B550 Motherboard - AMD B550 Chipset with Wi-Fi and White Cover  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Gaming OC 3X Video Card Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower White with Tempered glass  Storage: WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 5,150 MB/s   PSU: CORSAIR RM Series (2021), White, RM850, 850 Watt, 80 Plus Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply Display(s): 1xMSI Optix MAG272CRX 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor 2x ASUS VZ239H-W 23" Full HD 1080p IPS HDMI VGA Eye Care Monitor Cooling: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition: 5G Optical Sensor 16,000 DPI Sound: Audio-Technia ATH-M20x Professional studio monitor Headphones, black.  Operating System: Linux Pop!_OS with KDE Plasma desktop environment Mic: Elgato Wave:3

linktr.ee/Elektra57

17 hours ago, Edzel Yago said:

For anyone staying in Whalley/Newton, rent a car and you should be fine since you won't be taking transit. No need to worry about the crazies if you're not on the skytrain or bus and just go to the car from the hotel.

I was planning on driving up from the U.S. Thanks for all the information guys! I had no idea it was so sketchy but that's also probably my incorrect mental image of canada being sunshine and rainbows lol 

On 3/8/2019 at 12:22 AM, dizmo said:

If you stay in the hotel, maybe. That hotel is in Whalley, one of the worst parts of Surrey. The Surrey mayor once said "Air One (the RCMP helicopter used for the entire Lower Mainland) might as well be ours, it never leaves Whalley/Newton."

Avoid the skytrain at night. Surrey Central has one of the highest rates of disturbances.

Since I am staying in Surrey a few days before the event I planned on exploring the surrounding area (or going to Vancouver) what's the best stuff to do/eat from a locals perspective that won't get me shanked?

3 minutes ago, TheSwayzieExpress said:

Since I am staying in Surrey a few days before the event I planned on exploring the surrounding area (or going to Vancouver) what's the best stuff to do/eat from a locals perspective that won't get me shanked?

Something outside of Surrey ?

Honestly though, I'd just take the train into Vancouver and explore from there. Vancouver is a tiny city, everything within it is easily walkable. Check out Stanley Park, the aquarium is ok, walk the seawall, head up to the North Shore and do the Grouse Grind (of you're in shape), Metrotown in Burnaby is ok if you like malls. The Lonsdale Quay is fun to explore, as is the Granville Market. Commercial Drive has some cool shops on it, and great eats. Walking through some of the fancier neighborhoods can be amusing; some of the houses are jaw dropping, others just plain confusing. VanDusen gardens are beautiful if you're into that kind of thing. I can't think of anything noteworthy in Surrey other than beaches and parks, all of which are bountiful elsewhere. 

For food, I could give you a list a mile long of places to try, but it'd be easier if you said what kind of food you liked (or hated). 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Honestly though, I'd just take the train into Vancouver and explore from there. Vancouver is a tiny city, everything within it is easily walkable. Check out Stanley Park, the aquarium is ok, walk the seawall, head up to the North Shore and do the Grouse Grind (of you're in shape), Metrotown in Burnaby is ok if you like malls. The Lonsdale Quay is fun to explore, as is the Granville Market. Commercial Drive has some cool shops on it, and great eats. Walking through some of the fancier neighborhoods can be amusing; some of the houses are jaw dropping, others just plain confusing. VanDusen gardens are beautiful if you're into that kind of thing. I can't think of anything noteworthy in Surrey other than beaches and parks, all of which are bountiful elsewhere. 

For food, I could give you a list a mile long of places to try, but it'd be easier if you said what kind of food you liked (or hated). 

Haha I guess with a name like Surrey I should've really how close that was to slurry ? A few years back I was stationed in Korea and had some of the best Asian food I have ever tasted. Since I'm in a landlocked state (Colorado), I have been dying to get good sushi, Korean, Thai, etc. Basically any kind of Asian food as Colorado is so white it parallels snow.

10 hours ago, TheSwayzieExpress said:

Haha I guess with a name like Surrey I should've really how close that was to slurry ? A few years back I was stationed in Korea and had some of the best Asian food I have ever tasted. Since I'm in a landlocked state (Colorado), I have been dying to get good sushi, Korean, Thai, etc. Basically any kind of Asian food as Colorado is so white it parallels snow.

I can't wait to go to China Town. I have read several articles on Pinterest about the food to try in Vancouver and they all mention China Town. I want to try REAL ramen and find good sushi. I also must try Poutine, but since @LinusTech is a connoisseur of all things Poutine, I want to ask him first. I don't want my first Poutine to be subpar. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor Motherboard: N7-B55XT-W1: [US-3DTC1-N] N7 B550 Motherboard - AMD B550 Chipset with Wi-Fi and White Cover  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Gaming OC 3X Video Card Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower White with Tempered glass  Storage: WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 5,150 MB/s   PSU: CORSAIR RM Series (2021), White, RM850, 850 Watt, 80 Plus Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply Display(s): 1xMSI Optix MAG272CRX 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor 2x ASUS VZ239H-W 23" Full HD 1080p IPS HDMI VGA Eye Care Monitor Cooling: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition: 5G Optical Sensor 16,000 DPI Sound: Audio-Technia ATH-M20x Professional studio monitor Headphones, black.  Operating System: Linux Pop!_OS with KDE Plasma desktop environment Mic: Elgato Wave:3

linktr.ee/Elektra57

10 hours ago, dizmo said:

So I have heard there are swimming beaches. Are they extremely cold? Anytime I think of Canada, I always think of freezing temps.

linktr.ee/Elektra57

5 hours ago, PrincessHeinz57 said:

I can't wait to go to China Town. I have read several articles on Pinterest about the food to try in Vancouver and they all mention China Town. I want to try REAL ramen and find good sushi. I also must try Poutine, but since @LinusTech is a connoisseur of all things Poutine, I want to ask him first. I don't want my first Poutine to be subpar. 

Good to know! I will also have to check out China Town.

The street markets in chinatown are really cool! Last time I was up for LTX (2017) I went over there and it was really something for a small town folk like me.

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

Does Vancouver have some well known Japanese restaurants? 

I heard Toronto has "little Tokyo" area, is there anything similar in Vancouver?

9 hours ago, Bonzay0 said:

Does Vancouver have some well known Japanese restaurants? 

I heard Toronto has "little Tokyo" area, is there anything similar in Vancouver?

I googled it for you. I love Japanese food too. It looks like there are several places. I didn't see anything about a little tokyo though.  https://www.tourismvancouver.com/activities/sightseeing/vancouver-japanese-culture/

linktr.ee/Elektra57

1 hour ago, PrincessHeinz57 said:

I googled it for you. I love Japanese food too. It looks like there are several places. I didn't see anything about a little tokyo though.  https://www.tourismvancouver.com/activities/sightseeing/vancouver-japanese-culture/

That's awesome, thank you!

The little Tokyo is in Toronto, I think they don't call it that officially just between the locals.

I'm flying in from Hong Kong and am looking for people to hang out before/during the event. I just realized that due to time differences I will actually arrive one day earlier than my departure.

I planning to book an Airbnb accommodation. If people are interested in sharing an apartment, we could share the cost and get a whole apartment/floor with LTT fans and cook, explore the city and play games together (I also love playing board games). I'm looking at somewhat between $50-$75 per person per night. I am staying in Vancouver between 25th-29th (4 nights). Oh, and I'm 26.

If anyone is interested, please contact me!

On 3/8/2019 at 6:27 PM, PrincessHeinz57 said:

I do, My kid has a severe nut/peanut allergy so I would feel bad eating ice cream in front of him. I may sneak though.

Haha, shoulda fed him more peanuts as a small child ;)

10 hours ago, TheSwayzieExpress said:

Haha, well it's Vancouver; if Asian is your thing, you're in the right city. Especially if you venture into Richmond; it's basically China.

Anyway, here's 6 of my favorite Asian food spots:

• Ro Sushi
    Small spot, good prices, good rolls
  • Mega Sushi
    Big sushi rolls, lots of variety, but a little heavy on the sauce
  • Sawasdee
    Amazing Thai food, usually smart to book a table in advance
  • Royal Seoul House Restaurant
    Korean food. Only Korean place I can recall being to, so take that for what it's worth
  • Banana Leaf
    Great food, a little on the pricey side
  • The Eatery
    A wide menu of various awesome foods...though I was dating the owner's niece so I might have gotten better service

If you head into Richmond, there's tons and tons of options. I can't recall any of the good ones, I just went where the girl I was dating at the time suggested.

If you haven't had hotpot, it'd be a great thing to try with a bunch of people.

22 minutes ago, PrincessHeinz57 said:

There's so many good poutine places in Vancouver, that serve poutine and poutine only.

La Belle Patate, Mean Poutine, Frenchie's, and Belgian Fries top my list.

21 minutes ago, PrincessHeinz57 said:

So I have heard there are swimming beaches. Are they extremely cold? Anytime I think of Canada, I always think of freezing temps.

Haha, yes. Well, not super super cold, but not warm. Also don't expect nice sand, it's very much really small pebbles.

Don't you live in Seattle? We're not that much farther north. Our beaches will be similar to yours.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

18 hours ago, dizmo said:

Haha, shoulda fed him more peanuts as a small child ;)

Haha, well it's Vancouver; if Asian is your thing, you're in the right city. Especially if you venture into Richmond; it's basically China.

Anyway, here's 6 of my favorite Asian food spots:

• Ro Sushi
    Small spot, good prices, good rolls
  • Mega Sushi
    Big sushi rolls, lots of variety, but a little heavy on the sauce
  • Sawasdee
    Amazing Thai food, usually smart to book a table in advance
  • Royal Seoul House Restaurant
    Korean food. Only Korean place I can recall being to, so take that for what it's worth
  • Banana Leaf
    Great food, a little on the pricey side
  • The Eatery
    A wide menu of various awesome foods...though I was dating the owner's niece so I might have gotten better service

If you head into Richmond, there's tons and tons of options. I can't recall any of the good ones, I just went where the girl I was dating at the time suggested.

If you haven't had hotpot, it'd be a great thing to try with a bunch of people.

There's so many good poutine places in Vancouver, that serve poutine and poutine only.

La Belle Patate, Mean Poutine, Frenchie's, and Belgian Fries top my list.

Haha, yes. Well, not super super cold, but not warm. Also don't expect nice sand, it's very much really small pebbles.

Don't you live in Seattle? We're not that much farther north. Our beaches will be similar to yours.

He was diagnosed as a baby. 5 months old. Almost died :( I live in Tennessee. We are landlocked. I have only been to beaches in the Carribean and Florida. Thanks for the Poutine suggestions. Time is going by fast. I can't wait to get up there.

linktr.ee/Elektra57

Home....

image.jpeg.b9f925be23946fe44dbb8e710d7c0573.jpeg

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Yea if you havent been to the lower mainland before, and are NOT having access to a car and are not the most bus savvy people should probly find somewhere kind of close to the event. All hotels close by will be expensive, there aren't many houses near the event so air bnbs will be a bit of distance And like someone else said, all the drug addicts are within like a 2-3 block radius so dont go near main and hastings unless you are looking for the CHEAPEST hotel rooms. In that case, there are a few that honestly aren't horrible and are cheap and some hostels if you dont mind that. And honestly even if you do walk through the garbage dump of vancouver (main and hastings) you will usually make it out with all your belongings 

On 3/14/2019 at 2:40 PM, PrincessHeinz57 said:

He was diagnosed as a baby. 5 months old. Almost died :( I live in Tennessee. We are landlocked. I have only been to beaches in the Carribean and Florida. Thanks for the Poutine suggestions. Time is going by fast. I can't wait to get up there.

Ahhh terrible. Yeah, don't expect awesome beaches, that's not what we have up here at all. They're quite rocky, water is quite cold. Nice on a hot day, though. Vancouver beaches are often packed because they're tiny. Don't go to Wreck beach unless you're down for some nudity.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I'm travelling from the UK, booked into a hostel called Samesun on Granville Street, near Yaletown I believe. An 18-minute walk from the convention google says. Good reviews and very cheap, and hopefully not too sketchy. If anyone knows the area and can give any advice do let me know. Also if anyone else staying near there or in the vicinity and is heading to the con, it would be great to meet and chill

On 3/16/2019 at 10:59 PM, Infensus said:

I'm travelling from the UK, booked into a hostel called Samesun on Granville Street, near Yaletown I believe. An 18-minute walk from the convention google says. Good reviews and very cheap, and hopefully not too sketchy. If anyone knows the area and can give any advice do let me know. Also if anyone else staying near there or in the vicinity and is heading to the con, it would be great to meet and chill

I'm heading over from the UK too, staying in the Travelodge over in North Vancouver

On 3/16/2019 at 10:59 PM, Infensus said:

I'm heading over from the UK too, staying in the Travelodge over in North Vancouver

I'll be at the Samesun Hostel as well.

Richmond is a good option for cheaper stays. $3 train ticket to LTX - 25 minutes.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

On 2/25/2019 at 4:33 PM, PrincessHeinz57 said:

Hey guys! My tickets are purchased. I am still looking for a place to stay. What is everyone else doing? What area are you all staying in? This will be our first time going to Canada so I am pretty lost. It will be my son, sister, and I. I would love to have a view of the water, but it looks like that is the most expensive option. I would also like to be in a safe area. The Canadian stereotype is that everyone in Canada is really nice, so I don't know if there is a dangerous place. Thanks!

I'd love to say just stay with us but there wouldnt be enouph, only got one bed left. "My daughters room" which is very small. And my SUV sits 7 but have promised some underage kids and there parents I'd drive them to the convention center so I wouldnt have enouph seets.