Building a NAS out of post upgrade parts

Hobgoblin101

So I realized I haven't been backing up anything in my life, and external hard drives are a pain.

I remembered that my current PC (which now has completely different parts except for some RAM sticks) was originally a Lenovo 3498CTO.
So I have its original motherboard, and CPU (Intel i5 3470) + stock cooler as well as an old power supply. However, I would really love to get it into a Mini-ITX build (kind of have my heart set on a CoolerMaster Elite 110), however the motherboard that came with the Lenovo will not fit, and for some reason used LGA1155 motherboards in a Mini-ITX form are going for more than 100AUD, normally around 200AUD.

Were those older Mini-ITX boards originally that expressive, or am I being price hiked?

Also, there is very little information about the i5-3470 anymore as even Intel's compatibility listing is gone for it, so far all of Asrock's LGA1155 boards I have looked at saying they have i5-3470 support. Is it risky to presume that all LGA1155 boards will work with my CPU?

(FYI I am in Australia)

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/68316/intel-core-i5-3470-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html

Here is your ARK page, not sure what you mean about it being gone.

But yes, it would be reasonable to assume all Ivy bridge compatible boards would support the 3470. 

I have an Elite 130 I would sell to you for 85 AUD + Shipping (I am in the US. I'll calculate shipping costs if you're interested). I know you said you wanted a 110, but it's essentially the same case with 5 1/4" drive support.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

16 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

look for one used, and any chipset with 1155 will work. look for used.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Foxconn-Motherboard-H67S-Mini-ITX-LGA-1155-no-backplate/273726323393?hash=item3fbb5c3ac1:g:WmkAAOSwd9dcchF7:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

I wouldn't spend more than 40-50USD, or 55-70AUD.

I was looking at that one, however, I hadn't found anything yet that explicitly said it would work with an i5-3470.

I'll probably end up getting that unless a better offer arrives, or I find a stand out reason not to get it before the bid ends

18 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/68316/intel-core-i5-3470-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html

Here is your ARK page, not sure what you mean about it being gone.

But yes, it would be reasonable to assume all Ivy bridge compatible boards would support the 3470. 

I have an Elite 130 I would sell to you for 85 AUD + Shipping (I am in the US. I'll calculate shipping costs if you're interested). I know you said you wanted a 110, but it's essentially the same case with 5 1/4" drive support.

I can get the 110 for 54AUD + shipping from a local seller, plus I don't need a 5 1/4"drive, instead, I prefer the smaller size.

Also, the Ark Compatible products page is only listing 6&7 series chipsets when my i5 is a 3rd gen. So I thought something was going wrong - also when I look at my i7-4790's page it looks completely different so I thought it was their system miss firing results.

Also is it worth trying to cram in an AMD R7 250 into the case to help with video encoding for Plex? Or should I just save the space for more storage and better air flow?

1 hour ago, Hobgoblin101 said:

Also is it worth trying to cram in an AMD R7 250 into the case to help with video encoding for Plex? Or should I just save the space for more storage and better air flow?

I figured I'd offer.

And as for GPU. R9 nano is probably your best AMD bet.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

6 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

I figured I'd offer.

And as for GPU. R9 nano is probably your best AMD bet.

It meant is it worth me putting in a R7 250 which I already own.
Would it actually help that much with video encoding since it's a 4c 4c 3.2-3.6Ghz processor and it's a NAS so it won't be doing much else?

1 minute ago, Hobgoblin101 said:

It meant is it worth me putting in a R7 250 which I already own.
Would it actually help that much with video encoding since it's a 4c 4c 3.2-3.6Ghz processor and it's a NAS so it won't be doing much else?

Specifically, my 250 is https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/R7-250-1GD5-OC.html, so it'll fit in the space according to the dimensions.

Have you decided on an OS? I'm running Ubuntu Sever with urBackup on an older i7-4510U laptop with 8 gb of ram and 6tb of extrenal storage via a external bay over usb 3.1. Oh and urBackup is a fantastic agent server based backup solution  for any server OS. 

12 hours ago, Hobgoblin101 said:

Specifically, my 250 is https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/R7-250-1GD5-OC.html, so it'll fit in the space according to the dimensions.

That is a rather short card, you should be fine.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

9 hours ago, soulreaper11207 said:

Have you decided on an OS? I'm running Ubuntu Sever with urBackup on an older i7-4510U laptop with 8 gb of ram and 6tb of extrenal storage via a external bay over usb 3.1. Oh and urBackup is a fantastic agent server based backup solution  for any server OS. 

I am thinking of trying an OEM copy of Windows 10 Pro (just using the key, I'll get the iso its self from Microsoft to ensure it isn't laced with anything dodgy). Partly because it's what I already know in depth so it'll be easy to use, but also I plan to run multiple other services that I develop on it, and possibly my own backup routine which'll be easier to develop for an OS I know.

Plus I can remote desktop in to get a GUI without needing to connect any HIDs or monitors to my NAS. Whereas most Linux distros would rather I SSH in.

Edit:

Also if it's a windows OS then I can setup network drivers super easy, also in the case of my laptop, you can tell windows to generate an offline copy of a network folder which it'll then sync next time it can which'll be useful for my laptop and any school work.

Edited by Hobgoblin101
Missing some additional details

On 2/26/2019 at 10:04 AM, Firewrath9 said:

look for one used, and any chipset with 1155 will work. look for used.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Foxconn-Motherboard-H67S-Mini-ITX-LGA-1155-no-backplate/273726323393?hash=item3fbb5c3ac1:g:WmkAAOSwd9dcchF7:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

I wouldn't spend more than 40-50USD, or 55-70AUD.

In the event that I don't win the bid there are a lot of unbranded boards from Hongkong available, is there anything, in particular, I should be watching out for in that regard?

7 hours ago, Hobgoblin101 said:

In the event that I don't win the bid there are a lot of unbranded boards from Hongkong available, is there anything, in particular, I should be watching out for in that regard?

I wouldn't touch a unbranded board.

On 2/25/2019 at 11:21 PM, Hobgoblin101 said:

DO you have plex pass, you need plex pass to use a gpu.

And the amd encoder is pretty bada on those older gpus

how many streams at once? Id try cpu only first.

18 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

DO you have plex pass, you need plex pass to use a gpu.

And the amd encoder is pretty bada on those older gpus

how many streams at once? Id try cpu only first.

I have a plex pass subscription.

I'm not so worried about 'live streams' (aka. on-demand video streaming). It's just syncing a music library with over 3000 songs takes a long time when it re-encodes each one.
Do you think having it idle in a CoolerMaster 110 case would affect thermals though? If not, since I already have it I may as well put it in right?
Also, it's a 3rd gen CPU, so its hardware encoding is probably equally bad.

49 minutes ago, Hobgoblin101 said:

I have a plex pass subscription.

I'm not so worried about 'live streams' (aka. on-demand video streaming). It's just syncing a music library with over 3000 songs takes a long time when it re-encodes each one.
Do you think having it idle in a CoolerMaster 110 case would affect thermals though? If not, since I already have it I may as well put it in right?
Also, it's a 3rd gen CPU, so its hardware encoding is probably equally bad.

Music won't be affected by the gpu at all. Look at storage, ram and cpu for that.

That case will be fine, those i5s don't make much heat.

The amd video encoder is a good amount worse than quicksync, really stay away from it.

The Foxconn board doesn't work...

So I'm down to either a chines main board or throwing my mini-ITX case out the window.