Is there a way to use different connections on different programs?

rhavimarques

recently moved, got fibre installed for the first time, yay, except it sucks, super unstable, packet loss galore, don't really know if its the network they installed that's bad or the configs they're using on the huawei spy router they left me, but while i don't get it fixed, i'm using my phone to at least play some dota without massive packet loss, question is..

TL;DR: I have ethernet, and a 4g modem, 4g modem works better for gaming, (sadly), ethernet works best for youtubes. Is there a program that routes all dota/steam connections through the 4g modem, and routes everything else through the fibre? so i can do both at the same time without either eating my mobile data or getting crazy lag in games?

edit: i did a quick google before i posted, found a thing called forcebindIP, but that thing is like, command-line stuff that " might" have worked on a win7 machine back in 2013...so....

How about, instead of different programs; think of different destinations. (windows has commands to modify routes)

If you can determine which IP ranges your game uses, then you can add a route in windows to route any traffic destined for those IPs to route-out of your 4g gateway (interface).

Just set your ethernet interface metric to a lower number then the 4G interface so all trafic goes though ethernet first. Then add your own custom routes that you want to go out of your 4G gateway instead.

I tested this just now and it works. Heres an example of commands used.

route print

route ADD destination_network MASK subnet_mask  gateway_ip metric_cost

I have a 4G  interface (gateway 192.168.1.1), and a Ethernet interface (gateway 192.168.2.1)

So I set my Ethernet metric is lower then my 4G so everything else uses Ethernet by default.

As an example test,

Tested using http://ip-check.info  got its ip range via a whois search, which is 78.129.128.0/17

forced that IP range to route out of my 4G gateway instead:

route ADD 78.129.128.0 MASK 255.255.128.0 192.168.1.1

After that I refreshed the page, and it showed me the public IP of my 4G. Which means it worked, and routed only traffic for that range out the 4G gateway.

17 hours ago, rhavimarques said:

recently moved, got fibre installed for the first time, yay, except it sucks, super unstable, packet loss galore, don't really know if its the network they installed that's bad or the configs they're using on the huawei spy router they left me, but while i don't get it fixed, i'm using my phone to at least play some dota without massive packet loss, question is..

TL;DR: I have ethernet, and a 4g modem, 4g modem works better for gaming, (sadly), ethernet works best for youtubes. Is there a program that routes all dota/steam connections through the 4g modem, and routes everything else through the fibre? so i can do both at the same time without either eating my mobile data or getting crazy lag in games?

edit: i did a quick google before i posted, found a thing called forcebindIP, but that thing is like, command-line stuff that " might" have worked on a win7 machine back in 2013...so....

Huawei lol. ANYTHING CHINESE (Especially when dealing with data) GETS THROWN OUT EITHER THE DOOR OR THE WINDOW IF SOMEONE EVER GIVES RELATED CRAP TO ME

5 hours ago, datboi8192 said:

How about, instead of different programs; think of different destinations. (windows has commands to modify routes)

If you can determine which IP ranges your game uses, then you can add a route in windows to route any traffic destined for those IPs to route-out of your 4g gateway (interface).

Just set your ethernet interface metric to a lower number then the 4G interface so all trafic goes though ethernet first. Then add your own custom routes that you want to go out of your 4G gateway instead.

I tested this just now and it works. Heres an example of commands used.

route print

route ADD destination_network MASK subnet_mask  gateway_ip metric_cost

I have a 4G  interface (gateway 192.168.1.1), and a Ethernet interface (gateway 192.168.2.1)

So I set my Ethernet metric is lower then my 4G so everything else uses Ethernet by default.

As an example test,

Tested using http://ip-check.info  got its ip range via a whois search, which is 78.129.128.0/17

forced that IP range to route out of my 4G gateway instead:

route ADD 78.129.128.0 MASK 255.255.128.0 192.168.1.1

After that I refreshed the page, and it showed me the public IP of my 4G. Which means it worked, and routed only traffic for that range out the 4G gateway.

Ok, get the logic behind it, kinda.

so I'd have to find out the IP of the Dota 2 SA server? or servers? and then route traffic to those IPs via my 4g gateway,  (192.168.42.127?) and everything else will go naturally through my ethernet (192.168.1.6)? How would i go about finding out their IP?

ok, finding the IP of those servers wasn't hard, lul.  so what would be the command to add the mask? im kinda confused. these are the dota 2 servers:

I tried:

route ADD 209.197.29.1 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.42.129

and got parameter is incorrect, tried adding a number at the end as a metric and got bad argument >_>

9 hours ago, rhavimarques said:

I tried:

route ADD 209.197.29.1 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.42.129

and got parameter is incorrect, tried adding a number at the end as a metric and got bad argument >_>

Thats because route add is based on the NETWORK ADDRESS and not the usable IP inside the network range. (your network address is invalid based on the mask you provided.. your confusing the poor computer)

You told it to use a mask of /24 (255.255.255.0) this would mean that your network address would have to be 209.197.29.0. And /24 on that network would route all IPs from 209.197.29.1-209.197.29.254

So if you want to include only a single IP you can use a mask like 255.255.255.255 for just 209.197.29.1

If you dont understand subnets then use this tool to enter some IP and choose a mask from the dropdown, and it will tell you the NETWORK ADDRESS to use

https://www.calculator.net/ip-subnet-calculator.html

Single IP

route ADD 209.197.29.1 MASK 255.255.255.255 192.168.42.129

All IPs from 1-254 

route ADD 209.197.29.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.42.129

I hope you are sure that your gateway is 192.168.42.129 (most home routers usually end in .1 or .254 but its possible it could be .129)

remember to delete these routes if your network changes so stuff dont break.

route delete NETWORKADDRESS

keep in mind some games could use a ton of IPs that they dont tell you about, so this may not work if you dont know their range.