Problem with 1gbps internet

Lucifer Morninstar

I subscribed to Bell fibe 1gbps ftth with the HH3000, everything is fine so far but there is something really weird happening, I'm certainly doing something wrong.

As you can see in the attached pictures the bandwidth is 1gbps and consistant tested from the HH3000 itself.

But when I test it on my devices I have weird results, using 2.4ghz and 5ghz (both AC and N) and ethernet. I have significantly less bandwidth through WiFi, that's expected (i still find odd that the AC doesn't give better results than the G or N and why do I always have the upload speed higher).

With ethernet I can't reach more than 300mbps in download and 700 in upload. I tested it with two macbook pro (2013 and 2018), same result. I set all the ethernet ports on both ends to 1000 full duplex.

Is there a bottleneck somewhere? How can I get something like 800 for both up and down via ethernet?

Screenshot 2019-02-15 at 4.37.11 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-02-15 at 4.36.04 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-02-15 at 4.32.11 PM.png

I have the same issue with speedtest, however I get far better results with DSLreports speed test.

15 minutes ago, Daimaou said:

I have the same issue with speedtest, however I get far better results with DSLreports speed test.

I just tested it and yeah, the results were promising, but I did test on speedtest and fast as well as control

8067062922.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 7.29.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 7.33.20 PM.png

3 minutes ago, jmack said:

Not sure if its useful, here here is some related info:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31998182-HomeHub-3000-LAN-speed-issue

Thank you. I expected the HH3000 to be the problem, do all HH3000 users have the same issue?

Looks like I have to bypass this garbage, do you have a ONT or ONR capable of 1.5gbps speed in mind? If a router is rated for 1gbps, can it handle more via ethernet?

11 hours ago, Lucifer Morninstar said:

Thank you. I expected the HH3000 to be the problem, do all HH3000 users have the same issue?

Looks like I have to bypass this garbage, do you have a ONT or ONR capable of 1.5gbps speed in mind? If a router is rated for 1gbps, can it handle more via ethernet?

Unless you plan on upgrading to the 1.5gb plan later on I would just try to find routing equipment that can handle vlan tagging and pppoe at gigabit speeds (ether get a fiber to ethernet converter or a router that can take a sfp module) with maybe with some NAT rules and filters. To hit the 1.5gbs speeds you need a router or NIC that can sync at 2.5gbs and there isn't that many options. Currently I'm using a mikrotik RB-3011 to bypass for the 1gb fiber. But this router is pretty difficult to configure unless you're savvy with cmdline. PFsense is another good options, but do research on the NICs you're going to use if you do that because not all NIC's can do pppoe at gigabit due to some issue with freebsd and the drivers so pppoe is limited to a single thread.

IMO the best route to go is get a dedicated enterprise router (Ether you buy one or build one or virtualize one) and a dedicated switch because most enterprise grade routers don't have a switch built into them and you should be good to go.

But if you're deadset on using your own equipment for 1.5gb here a link to the options: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32293970-Media-converter-for-1-5G

Sorry if my thoughts are all over the place, it's a bit early for me.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

one thing you might want to check is if your router has any sort of QoS enabled.

I was wondering why my 1Gb/sec symmetrical fiber was only giving me about 350 down and 600 up on speed tests.

After some googling, i disabled the guest wifi bandwidth throttling (which is a QoS function) and poof, now I get about 950 up and down. Apparently any QoS is too much for most consumer routers to handle while still processing high transfer rates.

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse