Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
funrelax

Battery Backup for Cable Modem

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am looking for a battery backup for my cable modem because my home phone is routed through there and if the power goes out, it goes out as well. What kind of battery backup would you guys recommend for a cable modem?

I don't think modems take up a lot of energy, so I say go with the cheapest one you can find. I saw an AmazonBasics UPS for $40USD, and the only flaw it has is that it isn't auto-restarting, so if it runs out of juice during a blackout, you have to go and physically turn it back on once the power comes back on. It is rated for 400VA/225W. Do tell, how frequently do you experience outages and how long does a typical outage last?

Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, nelsonpong said:

I don't think modems take up a lot of energy, so I say go with the cheapest one you can find. I saw an AmazonBasics UPS for $40USD, and the only flaw it has is that it isn't auto-restarting, so if it runs out of juice during a blackout, you have to go and physically turn it back on once the power comes back on. It is rated for 400VA/225W. Do tell, how frequently do you experience outages and how long does a typical outage last?

I experience power outages about once a month or once every other month. They are usually short but the reason I want the battery backup is because I recently had a 3 day power outage and had no home phone that entire time. I could use my cell phone but it eventually runs out of power and charging it in the car is really annoying to have to do. It would also be nice to have Internet during power outages. 

56 minutes ago, funrelax said:

I am looking for a battery backup for my cable modem because my home phone is routed through there and if the power goes out, it goes out as well. What kind of battery backup would you guys recommend for a cable modem?

They make 12V DC UPS's which can directly connect to the modem and are much more efficient than the regular AC plug ones, but do cost a bit more.

https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/Network-UPS-12Vdc-Lithium-Battery-19500mAh-BMS-4LED/P-CP12142LI

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-BATTERY-BACKUP-REVISION-BU3DC001-12V/dp/B004RRFY5I

Some modems and routers (or some other arbitrary networking device) will run off of low voltage AC, so if you take the advice @W-L you need to make sure it is compatible with your gear.

1 hour ago, funrelax said:

I experience power outages about once a month or once every other month. They are usually short but the reason I want the battery backup is because I recently had a 3 day power outage and had no home phone that entire time. I could use my cell phone but it eventually runs out of power and charging it in the car is really annoying to have to do. It would also be nice to have Internet during power outages. 

WHOA!  Weird!  Someone in another thread was saying that first world countries don't have power shortages!!  /s

Do you own or lease your CM from your ISP?  I know the RCA modem I got from Xfinity had a battery pack for when the power is out.  If you lease, and the one you're leasing doesn't have a battery, you should contact the ISP to see if they can provide one.