Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alan GE

Getting electric shocks when touching the case

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi.

 

I built a pc 2 months ago (my first build) so I'm using this case :

Bitfenix Pandora Core - window

 

So I decided to install a new stick of ram .. when I touched the case I got a strong shock from the metal part of the case 😕 Literally my hand is still hurting from that shock 😢 

even when I touch the USB port it gives me a  shock


my motherboard is screwed to the standoff's and I have an HDD and fan at the top of the case like this :

Pandora-Core-Window-800px-21.png

 

 

My PowerSupply is CoolerMaster MWE 650W (Non-Modular)

 

is it because of the power supply cables? because both of the side panels are metal and the back one is touching the cables.😕

 

I'm new to pc world so I don't know what to do actually :( 

(I'm using a power Extension to power up my monitor and pc)

Help 😕 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Check if any cable metal contacts touch the case before turning it on again.


Do you like tactical shooters? Play Project Reality for free!

Use Brave or tor browser to surf through the web! :x And don't forget to use DuckDuckGo or StartPage instead of Google!

itcoin accepting VPN services: NordVPN

itcoin accepting Computer Store in Europe: caseking and overclockers

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you actually got shocked it's either line voltage or static, since no other voltage inside a computer will create a noticeable shock on skin. If you heard a noise it was probably just strong static. If it wasn't static that means you've got an issue inside your PSU causing it to be both improperly grounded and to run line voltage through the case. If that's true it's time to take the PSU out behind the barn and get a new one.


¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

 

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

 

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

If you actually got shocked it's either line voltage or static, since no other voltage inside a computer will create a noticeable shock on skin. If you heard a noise it was probably just strong static. If it wasn't static that means you've got an issue inside your PSU causing it to be both improperly grounded and to run line voltage through the case. If that's true it's time to take the PSU out behind the barn and get a new one.

well, sometimes I don't get shocks when I touch the case .. this is the second time I got a strong shock (literally strong) that causes pain ... should I try to plug the pc directly into the wall? would that even help?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Alan GE said:

is it because of the power supply cables?

No, its either because you are charged electrically.

Or because the PSU is not grounded.

That's something you might want to check.


"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's most likely startic from you, grounding through the case, through the power supply to the ground wire through your home. PCs have a very good grounding system built in, to keep the internal components from being damaged by your static, so if you've picked up a charge from shuffling your feet or scooching around in your chair, the computer is going to discharge it for you. Be glad you shocked the case, and not that new stick of ram.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

Touch your room heater and see if you get shocked before touching the case. 

I touched the monitor from the DVI cable and I got shocked 😕  .. I touched the back side of the case with Electrical Tester it lights only with that part. the front side panel didn't light the tester after changing the extension.

 

I'M CONFUSED

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

the extension that I have got 2 prong cord (the outlet is 2 aswell )while the power supply is 3. does that make any difference?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alan GE said:

the extension that I have got 2 prong cord (the outlet is 2 aswell )while the power supply is 3. does that make any difference?

Yes.

The third pin is for grounding.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alan GE said:

the extension that I have got 2 prong cord (the outlet is 2 aswell )while the power supply is 3. does that make any difference?

Yes.  You're not grounded.  Third pin is a ground.  You need an earth ground. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×