Getting electric shocks when touching the case

Alan GE

Hi.

I built a pc 2 months ago (my first build) so I'm using this case :

Bitfenix Pandora Core - window

So I decided to install a new stick of ram .. when I touched the case I got a strong shock from the metal part of the case ? Literally my hand is still hurting from that shock ? 

even when I touch the USB port it gives me a  shock

my motherboard is screwed to the standoff's and I have an HDD and fan at the top of the case like this :

Pandora-Core-Window-800px-21.png

My PowerSupply is CoolerMaster MWE 650W (Non-Modular)

is it because of the power supply cables? because both of the side panels are metal and the back one is touching the cables.?

I'm new to pc world so I don't know what to do actually :( 

(I'm using a power Extension to power up my monitor and pc)

Help ? 

If you actually got shocked it's either line voltage or static, since no other voltage inside a computer will create a noticeable shock on skin. If you heard a noise it was probably just strong static. If it wasn't static that means you've got an issue inside your PSU causing it to be both improperly grounded and to run line voltage through the case. If that's true it's time to take the PSU out behind the barn and get a new one.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

2 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

If you actually got shocked it's either line voltage or static, since no other voltage inside a computer will create a noticeable shock on skin. If you heard a noise it was probably just strong static. If it wasn't static that means you've got an issue inside your PSU causing it to be both improperly grounded and to run line voltage through the case. If that's true it's time to take the PSU out behind the barn and get a new one.

well, sometimes I don't get shocks when I touch the case .. this is the second time I got a strong shock (literally strong) that causes pain ... should I try to plug the pc directly into the wall? would that even help?

15 minutes ago, Alan GE said:

is it because of the power supply cables?

No, its either because you are charged electrically.

Or because the PSU is not grounded.

That's something you might want to check.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

It's most likely startic from you, grounding through the case, through the power supply to the ground wire through your home. PCs have a very good grounding system built in, to keep the internal components from being damaged by your static, so if you've picked up a charge from shuffling your feet or scooching around in your chair, the computer is going to discharge it for you. Be glad you shocked the case, and not that new stick of ram.

2 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

Touch your room heater and see if you get shocked before touching the case. 

I touched the monitor from the DVI cable and I got shocked ?  .. I touched the back side of the case with Electrical Tester it lights only with that part. the front side panel didn't light the tester after changing the extension.

I'M CONFUSED

the extension that I have got 2 prong cord (the outlet is 2 aswell )while the power supply is 3. does that make any difference?

2 hours ago, Alan GE said:

the extension that I have got 2 prong cord (the outlet is 2 aswell )while the power supply is 3. does that make any difference?

Yes.

The third pin is for grounding.

Grounding is important.

Go buy an extension cord, to plug your setup in a proper power outlet, that has the three pins.

4 hours ago, Alan GE said:

Yes.  You're not grounded.  Third pin is a ground.  You need an earth ground.