New build no post

mellow37
Go to solution Solved by averagebilly,
1 minute ago, Togglebg said:

It is showing 00

My understanding is that that is a problem with either the motherboard or cpu.

If you have another motherboard that supports 9th generation Intel, try the cpu on that.

Hi, I'm having a really tough time and am hoping someone can help. I built a new rig and it turns on, but does not post. The Motherboard has a CPU LED that is constantly red. I tried removing the GPU, re-seating the CPU and it's cooler and 1 stick of ram in each slot 1 by 1. All power cables are connected as well. The GPU and the cooler light up and all the fans spin. The monitor was tested by plugging into a laptop and it works. A second monitor was also tested (this time via display port instead of hdmi) and also remains black. My biggest nightmare would be a faulty motherboard or CPU so I hope there is a solution that does not involve me trying to return components.

CPU: i9-9900k

Mobo: Maximus XI Code

Ram: 1x8gb G.Skill Ripjaws 3200mhz (temporary ram until the other one arrives)

GPU: Strix 2080 ti OC

PSU: Supernova G3 850w

Cooler: Corsair H115i

7 minutes ago, Togglebg said:

Hi, I'm having a really tough time and am hoping someone can help. I built a new rig and it turns on, but does not post. The Motherboard has a CPU LED that is constantly red. I tried removing the GPU, re-seating the CPU and it's cooler and 1 stick of ram in each slot 1 by 1. All power cables are connected as well. The GPU and the cooler light up and all the fans spin. The monitor was tested by plugging into a laptop and it works. A second monitor was also tested (this time via display port instead of hdmi) and also remains black. My biggest nightmare would be a faulty motherboard or CPU so I hope there is a solution that does not involve me trying to return components.

Did you check for bent pins on your motherboard/cpu and swollen/ruptured capacitors on the motherboard?

3 minutes ago, averagebilly said:

Did you check for bent pins on your motherboard/cpu and swollen/ruptured capacitors on the motherboard?

When I took out the CPU i did look but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I also don't see anything wrong with the capacitors now that I am taking a look. The Mobo is brand new like everything else.

1 minute ago, Togglebg said:

When I took out the CPU i did look but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I also don't see anything wrong with the capacitors now that I am taking a look. The Mobo is brand new like everything else.

Is your motherboard beeping at all when you turn it on?

4 minutes ago, averagebilly said:

Is your motherboard beeping at all when you turn it on?

There is no beep, everything turns on but it gets nowhere after that.

1 minute ago, averagebilly said:

Have you tried the on-board graphics?

Yes I removed the GPU and plugged in the monitor to the mobo HDMI, but still does not help.

Double check the board mounting, start replacing cables and power supplies.

31 minutes ago, Togglebg said:

First thing i would make sure to check is that you've put all of the wires in the correct connection spots 
secondly i would switch your powersupply out if you have a spare one 

Sorry that this is happening to you trust me i hate it when something isnt working right :P

39 minutes ago, Togglebg said:

Also the mother board that you have requires you to have the 4 pin and 8 pin molex plugged into the top of your mother board or it will not boot!

13-119-156-V01 - Copy.jpg

9 minutes ago, Narsmow said:

Also the mother board that you have requires you to have the 4 pin and 8 pin molex plugged into the top of your mother board or it will not boot!

13-119-156-V01 - Copy.jpg

I check to make sure but both are plugged in nice and tight (it clips in). I think I might have to contact the vendor and see if they can troubleshoot and replace the mobo :/ 

3 minutes ago, averagebilly said:

Is the display giving you a code? (top-right)

It is showing 00

6 minutes ago, averagebilly said:

Is the display giving you a code? (top-right)

I don't have your board but most of the time code 00 is caused by three things, a faulty psu, motherboard or cpu. 

2 minutes ago, averagebilly said:

If you have another motherboard that supports 9th generation Intel, try the cpu on that.

vis versa that psu

also dose it not post at all or can you get to the bios settings?

11 minutes ago, Narsmow said:

also dose it not post at all or can you get to the bios settings?

There is no post, no bios settings, nothing.

15 minutes ago, averagebilly said:

I just flashed a new bios using the bios USB slot at the back but this also did not help. Tomorrow when the light is better I will take another look for any bent pins I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for super long time with no reply, but the mobo was defective after all.