Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
floofer

YouTube Kids App Shows Suicide Video

Posted · Original PosterOP

Suicide video appears on YouTube Kids app

Source: https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/2019/02/suicide-video-appears-on-youtube-kids-app.html?fbclid=IwAR1ZOSNqxrLGlrVvjuZb2URoZXHP0gPn19nXk996GHs4DYB4Pz36MXRwIAM

Videos showing kids how to kill themselves have been found on Google's YouTube Kids app.

CBS News reports at least two have been featured on the supposedly child-friendly app since July, discovered by a paediatrician in the US.

A man in one of the videos is a YouTuber known as Filthy Frank who has more than six million subscribers and calls himself "the embodiment of everything a person should not be".

In the clip he's seen making cutting motions on his arm, telling viewers to "end it" and explaining the best way to ensure a suicide attempt works, CBS News reports. The clip was edited to appear in the middle of a kids' cartoon.

"Looking at the comments, it had been up for a while, and people had even reported it eight months prior," Florida paediatrician Free Hess said

Whilst I know Filthy Frank to be satirical, it is quite inappropriate to have his content on the Kids side of YouTube. 8 months is a total joke for any report. 

After she blogged about it, YouTube removed the clip. It's not clear if Filthy Frank knew his clip had been used in the offending video. It was originally a part of a video about a One Direction fan committing suicide.

Another version of the same clip was spotted last year, but reportedly wasn't removed until a parent directly contacted a Google employee.

The controversy comes a year after Google had to scrub the YouTube Kids app clean of disturbing 'Elsagate' videos, which often featured people dressed as popular cartoon characters taking part in violent and sexual activities.

"Once you start looking into it, things get darker and weirder," said Dr Hess. "I don't understand how it's not getting caught."

I know some people might dismiss it, but its pretty unacceptable to have this on YouTube for Kids. It's like letting your kids watch the morning cartoons on a Saturday and this video pops up, not exactly full of the stuff you want your kids to see. 

Spoiler

It is quite inappropriate for YouTube to detect videos suitable for kids using their algorithm and not curate the Kids all altogether. You'd have to have your head in a sandpit to think this is alright - especially dismissing the reports for 8 months. 

[EDIT]

This may be a sensitive topic for some people, so I encourage you if you feel distressed about this topic to reach out to your peers or access the suicide hotlines. It is quite a heavy topic in NZ and the NZ hotlines are in the article. 

A man in one of the videos is a YouTuber known as Filthy Frank.

LMAO! I wasn't expecting this shit at all lol! from the title it seemed too far of an  idea of suicide from this!

Pappa frankru what have you doneuru!

*Filthy Frank video gets approved for YouTube Kids*

YouTube, your algorithm is an f-ing disgrace!  Your coders should be embarrassed!

I have a G7 and it's DELLicious!!!

| Logitech Fanboy | #RiseUpAgainstRazer | #MacsAreGoodComputersToo

Meet Hex, my hexacore laptop!

i7-8750H  (6c/12t)
GTX 1060 Max-Q 6GB

16GB DDR4-2666

256GB Toshiba M.2 SATA (boot)

1TB 860 EVO SATA III (storage)

1080p IPS 60Hz display

also in use...

Logitech G603 wireless gaming mouse

Logitech G930 wireless gaming headset

Other tech: iPhone SE, Logitech G203 Prodigy, Cooler Master Devastator II (just the keyboard), Sennheiser HD4.40BT

5 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Pappa frankru what have you doneuru!

He made the video, but he's not the one who put it on YouTube Kids.  An automated system did that...

i7-8750H  (6c/12t)
GTX 1060 Max-Q 6GB

16GB DDR4-2666

1080p IPS 60Hz display

also in use...

Other tech: iPhone SE, Logitech G203 Prodigy, Cooler Master Devastator II (just the keyboard), Sennheiser HD4.40BT

Lately it seems Google itself is trying to commit suicide. Nothing but awful things have hit Google recently, I wonder how they'll cope. It's way too big to fall, but it's big enough to make a change. Let's hope that at least happens. Kids, nor adults for that matter, should ever be exposed to shit like that. I'm surprised a content bot of some sort didn't catch the original video, let alone what one would think is an even more rigorously moderated portion of the site (being for kids). Nothing makes sense anymore.

If you can't manage an app specifically advertised as "kid friendly" then you shouldn't have one at all. 

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

If you knew what else makes the cut for YT Kids ahead of times, this isn't news to you.

You poor bastards.

Seagull eat fish. But fish belong to Mafia. Mafia punch seagull for not respecting Mafia. Seagull say "No, please! I have child!"

Mafia punch seagull with child.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

If you knew what else makes the cut for YT Kids ahead of times, this isn't news to you.

You poor bastards.

who does then?

All i can see when searching up is the youtube channel cut

Making Memes using Microsoft word!

There was this great TED Talk on children's content on YouTube and how kids really shouldn't use YouTube at all. Check it out if you're interested.

YouTube really dropped the ball on this one. It seems the larger their platform gets the less control and stability it has and that's been very apparent the last few weeks.

19 minutes ago, Arika S said:

youtube has really dropped the ball despite not having held it for about 5 years

They dropped it 5 years ago, and then in 2018-19, they stepped on it, tripping over it, and falling flat on their faces.

i7-8750H  (6c/12t)
GTX 1060 Max-Q 6GB

16GB DDR4-2666

1080p IPS 60Hz display

also in use...

50 minutes ago, Techstorm970 said:

*Filthy Frank video gets approved for YouTube Kids*

YouTube, your algorithm is an f-ing disgrace!  Your coders should be embarrassed!

It's been broken for a few weeks tbh.  First the false flagging of other channels and now shit like this.  Google really needs to look into this crap.

VashTheStampede 4.0:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x | CPU Cooling: EKWB S280 with the EK Supremacy sTR4 RGB Nickel Water Block and Scarlet Red Premix | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GBs (2x16) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB M.2-2280 SSD/PNY CS900 240GB SSD/Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM/Toshiba X300 4TB 7200RPM | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition | Case: Fractal Define R5 Blackout Edition w/Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 with Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS | Headphones:  AKG K7XX Massdrop Editions | Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2500 | Speakers: Mackie MR624 Studio Monitors

Prince of Dark Rock:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G(Temp/Upping to a Zen 2 CPU) | CPU Cooling: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: Asrock x470 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GBs (2x4) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX200 240GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SSC GAMING  | Case: Fractal Focus G | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 Home | Keyboard: Gigabyte FORCE K83 with Cherry MX Reds | MouseRazer DeathAdder Elite Destiny 2 Edition Speakers: JBL LSR 305 Studio Monitors(At some point)

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

It's been broken for a few weeks tbh.  First the false flagging of other channels and shit like this.  Google really needs to look into this crap.

Maybe google is blind and cant look into this crap... Maybe that's why so much has been messing up, They're doing this blind

Making Memes using Microsoft word!

inb4 media blames filthly frank like it was his intention for it to be a kids video and google didn't catch him sneaking it to kids

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

Maybe google is blind and cant look into this crap... Maybe that's why so much has been messing up, They're doing this blind

TBH, they probably do what a lot of developers do.  They make it "work" then say "good enough!"

VashTheStampede 4.0:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x | CPU Cooling: EKWB S280 with the EK Supremacy sTR4 RGB Nickel Water Block and Scarlet Red Premix | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GBs (2x16) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB M.2-2280 SSD/PNY CS900 240GB SSD/Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM/Toshiba X300 4TB 7200RPM | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition | Case: Fractal Define R5 Blackout Edition w/Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 with Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS | Headphones:  AKG K7XX Massdrop Editions | Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2500 | Speakers: Mackie MR624 Studio Monitors

Prince of Dark Rock:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G(Temp/Upping to a Zen 2 CPU) | CPU Cooling: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: Asrock x470 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GBs (2x4) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX200 240GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SSC GAMING  | Case: Fractal Focus G | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 Home | Keyboard: Gigabyte FORCE K83 with Cherry MX Reds | MouseRazer DeathAdder Elite Destiny 2 Edition Speakers: JBL LSR 305 Studio Monitors(At some point)

REMEMBER KIDS, SIDEWAYS FOR ATTENTION, LONG WAYS FOR RESULTS!

If you haven't held a SNES controller before, you don't know gaming.

well okay that's not entirely true but still go play a fucking SNES if you haven't.

Current Rig

FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz - EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB - 16GB Hyper x Fury - 250GB SSD - CM 212 EVO - Asus M5A97 R2.0 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2 - CM Elite 430 Black - WD Blue 1TB

The 5$ Laptop (Asus r510c) (+60$ worth of upgrades)

Core i5 i5-3337U 1.8ghz (2.5ghz) - 120gb SSD - 320gb WD Black - 8GB DDR3 - Intel HD Graphics 4000

Secondary Programming Machine

i7 870 @ 4.0ghz - GTX 670 2GB - 8GB DDR3 Hyperx Fury - 64GB SSD - 1TB WD Blue - Some 1156 Asus board

HTPC - Wolf In Sheep's Clothing (Crappy HP OEM SFF case and PSU from 2009)

AMD A8 6800k @4.2ghz - GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 - 8GB DDR3 - 250GB SP SSD - Some Asus FM2+ motherboard

Bedroom HTPC - The 939 Monster

AMD Athlon 64 x2 @ 2.8ghz - ATi Radeon x850XT - 4GB DDR400 - 80GB WD Blue IDE - SOCKET 939 BITCHES

Trusty Old Rig: Athlon 64 X2 3000+ @ 2.16ghz - Radeon 9600 Pro - 1GB DDR - GB K8NSC939 - 500w CM PSU

Nokia 3310 - The PC: (Dell Optiplex GX110) Piii Coppermine 1Ghz - 512mb SDRAM - ATi 9250 pro 256mb - 80GB IDE - Sound Blaster Live!

Twin Game Servers (Two): C2Q q6600 @ 3.0ghz - Asus P5B - 8GB DDR2 800

PFSense Router: Pentium D @ 3.2ghz - 2GB DDR2

OMV NAS: Pentium 4 @ 3.2ghz - 2TB WD Red - 2GB DDR2

(I could list like 10 other PCs off the top of my head, yeah I'm a big time PC hoarder.)

23 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

REMEMBER KIDS, SIDEWAYS FOR ATTENTION, LONG WAYS FOR RESULTS!

I always thought the exit bag the best choice if you don't want to leave a mess. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch