Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Berevity

Just got my first SSD... What now?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Just got my first ssd and im not really sure what to do. I want to migrate windows onto it of course but not all the software on the computer.

it is 120gb and my harddrive is 1tb.

I still need my hdd beacuse i do video editing and need to store large files. my plan is to have only windows firefox and a few games on the ssd.

How can i go about transfering only windows to the ssd and keeping everything else on the hdd?

im just going to install windows on it and use it as the boot device. is there any way to make sure that it detects the software on the hdd and is there a way to delete windoes off the harddrive after?

You really can't, you need to install Windows on the SSD, 120GB is enough for OS and programs

RYZEN 5 1500X | 8GB DDR4 | RX 570 4GB | OPTANE SSD 8 58GB | 240GB SSD | CORSAIR 88R

Unfortunately, windows can't be so easily removed from one drive and separated form everything that it's conjoined with. Most people recommend a fresh install, and that's a good move, but if you really want to keep your data where it's at, you can try to slim all of the files and programs down small enough to fit onto the SSD and clone it with a program like EaseUS. How much of your 1TB drive are you using?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

i've only got 120gb free. if i clean up my hdd ill probably still use over 500gb...

Fresh install on my ssc sounds like the best option because i dont wat my video files on it anyway.

Im just worried if it will recognise the programmes on my hdd or not. I will give it a go anyway not much to lose.

6 minutes ago, Berevity said:

bindydad i dont know how i will get 500gb worth of video off of my hdd...

In order for someone to know you've replied to them you need to quote them like this or tag them @Berevity.

If the videos are important to you, you should buy an external hard drive and start backing them up.

This is also why it's generally my recommended practice to purchase the SSD first, not add one in later.

120GB will disappear pretty quickly. You'll probably only get one or two games on there.

Welcome to the forum.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The simplest way to think is ‘no yournold programs will not be detected’ and everything you want you should re-install.

this is the best mindset to be in as then you can’t be disappointed, but if you know what you’re doing you can get things to work after.

my personal approach is to unplug hdd and then install fresh windows on the ssd with it being the only drive in the system. Once you’re up and running plug the bed back in and make sure it still boots from ssd and sees hdd as second drive. Then go and delete/tidy everything on the HDD