Desktop vs. Laptop!

Loch

Hello all! I am very tied up in what do get at the moment. Let me make this clear, I have a functioning laptop and desktop, but they both need to be upgraded. My laptop is a 10lb gaming laptop with an 860m, i7 4700hq, and 16 gb ram of. This laptop is getting too heavy and too inconvenient to carry around. As for my desktop, it has an i5-4690k, AMD R9-390x, and 16 gb of ram. Here are my possible outcomes for the next gen upgrade:

Laptop: RTX 2080, i7 8750h, 16 gb ddr4 ram, and any amount of PCIE ssd. ( I have the MSI GS75 Stealth-202 in mind.)

Desktop: RTX 2080ti, i7 9700k, 32gb ddr4 ram, 3 1tb PCIE ssd's.

Now, they come out to around $2500 USD. I understand my desktop will be miles better, but which would you choose? I'm open for both upgrades, but I need to know what makes more sense. I'm on my desktop while i'm at home all day and when I go to classes, I'm on my laptop all day. Thanks!

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

5 minutes ago, Loch said:

Hello all! I am very tied up in what do get at the moment. Let me make this clear, I have a functioning laptop and desktop, but they both need to be upgraded. My laptop is a 10lb gaming laptop with an 860m, i7 4700hq, and 16 gb ram of. This laptop is getting too heavy and too inconvenient to carry around. As for my desktop, it has an i5-4690k, AMD R9-390x, and 16 gb of ram. Here are my possible outcomes for the next gen upgrade:

Laptop: RTX 2080, i7 8750h, 16 gb ddr4 ram, and any amount of PCIE ssd. ( I have the MSI GS75 Stealth-202 in mind.)

Desktop: RTX 2080ti, i7 9700k, 32gb ddr4 ram, 3 1tb PCIE ssd's.

Now, they come out to around $2500 USD. I understand my desktop will be miles better, but which would you choose? I'm open for both upgrades, but I need to know what makes more sense. I'm on my desktop while i'm at home all day and when I go to classes, I'm on my laptop all day. Thanks!

It is all really preference, though I would suggest possibly a lower end laptop ~2000, and upgrading the GPU in your current desktop.

Ryzen 7 1700X - Cryorig C7 - Gigabyte Gaming B450 Wifi - 16GB GSKILL Aegis DDR4-3000mghz - WD Black NVMe 250GB M.2 / WD Black 2.5 1TB HD - Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8GB - FD Node 202

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window."

— Steve Wozniak

PCPartPicker - Steam - GitHub

Couple of questions:

1. What are you uses for each platform?

2. If gaming, do you plan on gaming on the go? Or using your laptop stationary at home to play?

3. Do you use your laptop for work/productivity, or just for school/web/videos while away Or do you want to play games while you are away?

My recommendation is to get a monster desktop and spend $400 extra on an inexpensive lighter laptop to use for work/school. If you want to play games on the go, appropriate another $200 funds to get a $600 entry-level gaming laptop. They don't put up with abuse very well and in my experience putting a lot of money into laptops usually ends up costing you a lot of money from physical damage.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Dang, this is a difficult choice....

My opinion is upgrade the desktop slightly less than you currently have planned and pick up a lower power lightweight laptop to go with it. Maybe something like an i5 and possibly a 1050 if you want to do some light gaming on it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Oops, hit reply instead of edit.

Edited by Plutosaurus
Delete pls double post

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Just now, Plutosaurus said:

Couple of questions:

1. What are you uses for each platform?

2. If gaming, do you plan on gaming on the go? Or using your laptop stationary at home to play?

3. Do you use your laptop for work/productivity, or just for school/web/videos while away?

My recommendation is to get a monster desktop and spend $400 extra on an inexpensive lighter laptop to use for work/school.

So, here's the issue. I game mostly on my desktop due to me being at home more often. I only game on my laptop when I go to my friends house or lan parties. I do use my laptop for school, mainly running games ever so often. I just want the best possible out come.

Just now, Loch said:

So, here's the issue. I game mostly on my desktop due to me being at home more often. I only game on my laptop when I go to my friends house or lan parties. I do use my laptop for school, mainly running games ever so often. I just want the best possible out come.

The gs75 would be a horrible laptop for school. The noise factor alone is enough to get you kicked out of class or told to shut your laptop down during small lecture around here.

2 minutes ago, Loch said:

Drop down to a 2080 GPU for desktop

spend difference on an entry-level gaming laptop.

win win!

Just now, markr54632 said:

The gs75 would be a horrible laptop for school. The noise factor alone is enough to get you kicked out of class or told to shut your laptop down during small lecture around here.

Noise? I have a ROG G750 and I have the fans cranked at school. People don't mind it, it's just too big and bulky to carry around.

1 minute ago, Plutosaurus said:

Drop down to a 2080 GPU for desktop

spend difference on an entry-level gaming laptop.

win win!

That isn't a bad idea. I'll think about that. Maybe even a RTX 2070 might do.

Just now, Loch said:

That isn't a bad idea. I'll think about that. Maybe even a RTX 2070 might do.

See, the "why not both?" strategy always works!

1 minute ago, Plutosaurus said:

See, the "why not both?" strategy always works!

True!

1 minute ago, Loch said:

Noise? I have a ROG G750 and I have the fans cranked at school. People don't mind it, it's just too big and bulky to carry around.

That would really cause problems in the classes I've been in. 

That would really cause problems in the classes I've been in. 

The thing is, I won't be gaming in class. The most I'll be doing is running Firefox, Word, Powerpoint, and Excel. I don't thin that will cause the fans to go berserk.

Just now, Loch said:

The thing is, I won't be gaming in class. The most I'll be doing is running Firefox, Word, Powerpoint, and Excel. I don't thin that will cause the fans to go berserk.

You've obviously never used a gs series laptop. A background task is enough to cause those fans to wind up. They also have a nasty high pitch whine. 

You've obviously never used a gs series laptop. A background task is enough to cause those fans to wind up. They also have a nasty high pitch whine. 

I see, I'll put that into consideration. I might go Asus, their Zephyrus and strix laptops are pretty neat.

1 hour ago, Loch said:

I see, I'll put that into consideration. I might go Asus, their Zephyrus and strix laptops are pretty neat.

could always just focus more of your funds on your desktop, and get a nice ultralight for school/work. and don't play games at school just play forum warrior