Taiwanese horror game, Devotion, removed from Steam China due "insulting" Chinese President Xi and censored throughout China

BananaInSandals

Source: 

Apple Daily HK (in Chinese)

Spieltimes (in English, details about the insults)

Mirror Media (in Chinese, with details about devs possibly being sued by investors)

EDIT: INSIDE (Division's global sales is increasing rapidly after the incident)

Quote from Spiltimes:

The red seal in the centre of the poster reads “Xi Jinping” on the right, and “Winnie the Pooh” on the left. The four corners of the Fulu talisman reads “Your (mom moron)” in Taiwanese dialect.

In a newspaper segment found in another part of the game, one of the headlines say “Baozi(a Chinese dumpling, which is also used as a term to mock President Xi Jinping) has been sentenced to prison” and that he has been given “capital punishment.”

(I've only quoted two of them which I'm fairly confident it's actually directed to Xi Jinping. The third one is quite a stretched imo)

Quote from Apple Daily HK:

《還願》目前銷量約7.5萬套,在大陸地區暫賣出9,000套。近日,因遊戲中一張寫有「小熊維尼習近平」的符咒,惹起兩岸玩家罵戰,風波不斷發酵,Steam大陸區現已將《還願》遊戲下架。

"Devotion" has sold around 75 thousand copies with the mainland (People's Republic of China) consist of 9 thousands of them. Recently, due to an in-game poster with "Winnie the Pooh Xi Jinping" charm, caused war of words between mainland and Taiwanese players. The crisis has been worsening. Steam China has removed Devotion.

製作團隊赤燭遊戲立即在粉絲專頁發文道歉,表示製作遊戲時「會參照當時的網路用語作為暫時素材」,但這次因為版本同步問題沒有全部刪除,實屬意外,沒有任何攻擊或辱罵意圖

The developers, Red Candle Studios, has immediately apologized on their fan page. They said that, when developing games, they would "reference to the internet terminology/idioms and use them as temporary materials". But due to version synchronization problem, not all of them were removed. It is an accident without any intention to attack or insult.

赤燭遊戲微博被禁止評論,在中國網站B站(bilibili)更被全面河蟹,原先是該網站上面最熱門、討論度最高的遊戲,實況主播開台吸引破百萬人次觀看,但現在搜尋《還願》卻連任何訊息都再也找不到

Red Candle Studios' Weibo account now prohibits comments. Bilibili completely prohibits the talk of the game. It was originally the hottest and most discussed topic on the site with millions watching its stream. But now there are no messages when searching "Devotion".

中國代理《還願》的發行商indievent立刻發出中止合作公告... ...同時也宣佈終止與赤燭遊戲的合作關係。

Devotion's Chinese publisher, indivent, has immediately issue a termination of cooperation announcement... ...and also announcing that they will terminate any further cooperation relationship with Red Candle Studios.

Quote from Mirror Media:

最新消息是負責《還願》中國之外遊戲發行的唯晶科技也在微博貼出聲明,不但要終止與赤燭的合作,同時還會進行求償。

The latest news is that Devotion's publisher outside of China, Winking Entertainment, has posted on Weibo. They are not only ending the cooperation with Red Candle Studios, but also seeking compensation.

Personal thought:

Another day, another news about Taiwanese being screwed by PRC. Not gonna lie but those devs are definitely dumb not to remove this crap before publishing. Heck, just don't put this crop in in the first place if you aren't sure you can remove them all. But the PRC reaction, along with the publishers and investors, are way over imo. There's no need to completely censor the game. Just let the game die (or flourish lol) according to the public opinion. Oh. Who am I kidding? Of cause they won't let the public even think about it. 

Here's a picture of Emperor Xi Jinping Winnie the Pooh because why not?FB_IMG_1550566195479.jpg

EDIT: News from INSIDE

在中國遭封殺的同時另一方面,可看到在銷售上的反應卻是逆勢上漲中,從steamspy 觀察,《還願》從昨日7萬5千套突破全球銷售10萬套到20萬套,看起來被中國抵制似乎反而成為更強大的宣傳效果。

At the same time as being censored by China, on the other hand, the sales volume is increasing rapidly. From steamspy's observation, Devotion has increased over 100k sales to 200k copies sold in total from yesterday's 75k. It seems that Chinese boycott has become an even stronger promotional effect.

Lmao. I'm sure people sitting in the office of butthurt and censorship in Beijing must be shitting their pants. Emperor Xi Jinping Winnie the Pooh won't be happy about this. :P 

Is there anything China doesn't get offended by? Didn't they just review bot Dota 2 because a pro player said something like "good luck ching chongs" to a Chinese team?

Do they not realize how stupid they look when they get offended at the drop of a dime to little shit. Imagine if Trump got offended every time he saw a meme game about him.

A Chinese dumpling is my new favourite insult to Winnie the Poh xD

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

TAIWAN NUMBA ONE

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Comparing Poo to Xi Jinping is wrong. Poo isn't responsible for murder.

Tigger never got dragged away for making a bad tweet. 

image.png.2177d5a97ecebe852e7c40c81cb54ef0.png

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

15 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Comparing Poo to Xi Jinping is wrong. Poo isn't responsible for murder.

Tigger never got dragged away for making a bad tweet. 

image.png.44d2bbc800c259c9b4ad063985a34e2c.png

You are just assuming that, you don't know what happens when the cameras are off, poor Eeyore gets beaten daily for the simplest of things like looking at Whinne in the incorrect way, or having an opinion. 

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

47 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

TAIWAN NUMBA ONE

TAIWAN NUMBA WAN (FTFY)

Also, The WAN Show starring Linus Sebastian from LinusTaiTips! :P 

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

That's what scares me about a Chinese coloration owning a large part of Epic Games Store, or any other store.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

6 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

a Chinese coloration owning a large part of Epic Games Store

The Epic Games Store doesn't look very Chinese to me. ?

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666

• i7-7700K
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

9 minutes ago, Techstorm970 said:

The Epic Games Store doesn't look very Chinese to me. ?

Man I have no idea why I wrote that instead of corporation, boss isn't even near. ?

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

12 hours ago, Haaselh0ff said:

Is there anything China doesn't get offended by? Didn't they just review bot Dota 2 because a pro player said something like "good luck ching chongs" to a Chinese team?

Do they not realize how stupid they look when they get offended at the drop of a dime to little shit. Imagine if Trump got offended every time he saw a meme game about him.

Well in the US it is completely legal to make fun of the president and is actually unheard of if nobody does. In China it's a whole different story with people going to jail because of "reasons" after criticizing the leader of China. 

12 hours ago, Thaldor said:

Oh, look at that, the classical case of getting Chinese go from 0 to 100 in one word: Taiwan.

Aa...aand bought. Just because frak People's republic of China. :D

Same.

Screw that "government".

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Not defending it, it's pretty fucking lame, but sometimes its important to remember that the Chinese government is in control of one third the worlds population and half of them are bordering on 3rd world impoverished.  Their culture is vastly different to much of the 1st world,  so much that one small destabilization and it could easily all end in chaos (for us as well).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Not defending it, it's pretty fucking lame, but sometimes its important to remember that the Chinese government is in control of one third the worlds population and half of them are bordering on 3rd world impoverished.  Their culture is vastly different to much of the 1st world,  so much that one small destabilization and it could easily all end in chaos (for us as well).

Really doesn't seem like half the population is poor at all considering Chinese tourists everywhere. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

When they say the game was eventually removed by steam china does that mean that it's perfect world doing all this administration rather than Valve?

Also is this stuff illegal in China? Or is it a case of them being afraid to offend?

16 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Really doesn't seem like half the population is poor at all considering Chinese tourists everywhere. 

I don't know but when you have a billion people it's perfectly plausible. There's a big gap between the urban and rural in china.

45 minutes ago, williamcll said:

That's the other half,  China is also one of the fastest producers of millionaires (who incidentally want to leave), but when you have so many living at the opposite end of the spectrum is when you have the greatest social unrest. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, williamcll said:

Homelessness is a pretty gigantic issue in china.  It gets buried in the press if it even makes it there much like everything else negative 

10 hours ago, Humbug said:

Also is this stuff illegal in China? Or is it a case of them being afraid to offend?

Legal or illegal are rather relative terms in China.

On 2/23/2019 at 10:31 AM, Haaselh0ff said:

Its not about them getting offended. It about keeping a carefully curated image of them to their citizens.

On 2/23/2019 at 7:05 AM, BananaInSandals said:

Taiwanese horror game, Devotion, removed from Steam China due "insulting" Chinese President Xi and censored throughout China

And...?

Taiwan and China have hated each other since they split apart.  #NotSurprising

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666

• i7-7700K
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD

Unrelated, but I love Taiwanese romance dramas.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I'm SOOO glade I live in USA and not some place where the Government could ruin me as easily. Not that USA government can't hurt people here but it's harder for them to do so.