Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PrinceNorris

Which networking hardware vendor do you prefer

Posted · Original PosterOP

Which "hardware-selling" company is your best bet when it comes to usability, security, performance, etc. It would be nice to see some arguments to back up your opinion and probably one model of some hardware that really got your interest in the particular vendor or you happen to use it.

Obviously you can choose multiple and write about each of them. Their pros and cons when it comes to software, support or the hardware itself.

For me it would be ASUS. Their routers may be expensive but they offer significant performance boost over others. I don't know how much can I trust the TrendMicro's AiProtection feature but I guess it's useful.

Have been using the DSL-AC68U and it works great. Reaches the peak of my connection speed, quickly reconnects to ISP when it drops, and has a very good wireless coverage. I may not like the "candy" interface of the ASUSWRT but it has all the features I need and they are usually easy to find. In the case of interface I would go with the old TP-LINK (you know the very old) based on simple rectangles.

I don't pay too much attention to the looks of the hardware but... ASUS looks good.

Making Internet a better place.

If we're talking WiFi, I like Google's stuff. I'm not savvy enough for it to limit me, and their interface is just convenient and full of features that a layman like me can access and utilize.

I had a dream where Linus picked me up. It was wonderful. 

#BringBackLuke

3 minutes ago, PrinceNorris said:

Which "hardware-selling" company is your best bet when it comes to usability, security, performance, etc.

None. I only care about the specs, and when it comes to routers, that I can run OpenWRT on them.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

i've had some (unique to my situation) issues with ASUS and ended up buying some small business linksys gear..  and have been convinced ever since

it's as simple as "it works, so i stuck with it".

The cheapest version of what I need that isn't actual trash. So usually Netgear.

Or the cheapest version of what I need used from ebay/craigslist. Which is usually either Linksys or a pretty old Cisco. In my area at least.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

2 minutes ago, PrinceNorris said:

Which "hardware-selling" company is your best bet when it comes to usability, security, performance, etc. It would be nice to see some arguments to back up your opinion and probably one model of some hardware that really got your interest in the particular vendor or you happen to use it.

Obviously you can choose multiple and write about each of them. Their pros and cons when it comes to software, support or the hardware itself.

For me it would be ASUS. Their routers may be expensive but they offer significant performance boost over others. I don't know how much can I trust the TrendMicro's AiProtection feature but I guess it's useful.

Have been using the DSL-AC68U and it works great. Reaches the peak of my connection speed, quickly reconnects to ISP when it drops, and has a very good wireless coverage. I may not like the "candy" interface of the ASUSWRT but it has all the features I need and they are usually easy to find. In the case of interface I would go with the old TP-LINK (you know the very old) based on simple rectangles.

I don't pay too much attention to the looks of the hardware but... ASUS looks good.

I currently prefer Netgear, as they tend to build solid (if not overpriced) routers, their hardware has held up well for me, though I'm also willing to consider Linksys. (though I do not recommend any of their hardware that was release between 2011 and 2016 as they had to switch suppliers, and redesign all of their routers, their quality has only recently recovered.)

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

AVM for wireless stuff because Mesh network and for the other stuff... Well for me 'other stuff' means unmanaged switches, which does not matter at all what you get IMO.

Usually I get D-Link because they are pretty cheap and work well; all of the like 5 I have are in working order so no issues there.

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"How can someone win if winning means that someone loses" - Scatman John

"We’re here to make you think about death and get sad and stuff.” - Scott Pilgrim

Gear:                           .                                                                                                                         .

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 || Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz (running at 2933Mhz) || GPU: Gigabyte Auros RX 580 4GB || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Cooling: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || PSU: Corsair RMx 750W

Peripherals:

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm || Mouse: Roccat Kiro || Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Mousepad: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL || Graphics tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen Small

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Minibois' Digital Art Thread

Reviews: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Wacom Intuos Pen Small || Roccat Kiro

Threads: Pokémon Thread || Dutch Talk || Super Smash Bros. Melee Thread

Setup: Current setup

I've only worked with Cisco, Dell (Servers).. I think the CLI commands are easy once you understand it. 

CPU: i5 4690 |CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Z97-A | RAM: 4x4GB Kingston Memory 1600mhz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 120GB Kingston V300 SSD | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 20" Dell  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer | Neewer® NW-700 Microphone | Behringer PS400 Micropower Phantom Power Supply

Networking gear:  Dell OptiPlex 390 Domain Controller | Dell PowerEdge R210 II Exchange 2016 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5505 VPN  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch

Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

don´t care. I just use the router from my provider. It works so whatever

They gave you the one branded by them or the original from manufacturer? There is a difference sometimes. ISPs like to introduce their own software and it's usually worse than stock one.

Making Internet a better place.

I prefere Ubiquiti. For Routers and L3 Switches the Edgemax series and for Wifi the Unifi series. For L2 Switches I'm fine with Tp-Link and Netgear.

A Router from the ISP is a no go. I don't like the idea not to have the full and exclusive control over the network. The Router for the main lines ISP is running in bridge mode. The backup lines on is an self bought Huawei.

For router, anything that'll get the job done, but don't particularly like ISP ones. At the moment I have a modem.router combo, which is a Netgear Nighthawk D7000, which has been pretty good, except for the wifi which started giving problems after a few years, so now have a mesh system for the wifi, which is a BT mesh. For switches, either netgear or tp-link for consumer ones... I have a mixture at the moment and they are rock solid. I only had one switch die on me, and was just over it's 2 year warranty, Amazon replaced it with new anyway... think that was a netgear 8 port... I actually upgraded to a better model IMO and paid the difference in the price :)

I have a 48 port switch, which I got to "upgrade" my network, but have yet to implement it full time... mostly because it is noisy where it is at the moment. I hung on to it though, so that when I finally get my house sorted out it can be used instead of the daisy chain of consumer switches that exists right now, lol.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you, I may not see your post otherwise.

Spoiler
  • PCs:-
  • AM4 1700 build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bJQ8kd
  • AMD Ryzen 1700 w/ Cooler Master ML240 Lite @3.9 1.35V - ASrock AB350M Pro 4  - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz RAM @2933Mhz  - Samsung 970 Evo 250GB - Crucial M500 M.2 SSD 240GB - Zotac GTX 1060 6GB AMP! edition - 4x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf Drives in O/striped - 2TB HDD - Fractal Design Node 804 -  EVGA Supernova P2 850W Platinum PSU - Pioneer BD writer in external USB 3.0 5.25 chassis - USB 3.1 Tyoe C to M.2 SATA caddy w/ 250GB Crucial MX600 M.2 drive for quick external storage needs.
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocaphone F1 128GB 6GB RAM
  • Lenovo k3 note
  • Windows tablet
  •  
  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  •  
  • Deadpool server -  i7 6700K - Cryorig C7 cooler - b250 mobo - Thermaltake Core V21-  EVGA Supernova G2 650W Gold PSU
  • AMD phenom II 1055t / 8GB RAM / DVD writer
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition x2
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini
  • Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

5 hours ago, Minibois said:

which does not matter at all what you get IMO.

TP-Link 8-port gigabit switches for the win.. they're basicly free. (or in fact, if you read the small text, actually free with my ISP.)