A Mac as a work machine?

Just now, firelighter487 said:

i believe the iMac Pro goes up to 128GB. 

New Mac Mini also goes up to 64GB, but 64GB, DIY or through Apple, is an excessively expensive upgrade. $800 to DIY, $1,400 over the base model. In contrast, DIY for 32GB is like $250 and through Apple is $600.

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

when you consider that Windows 10 home is €145, and that stuff like MS Office also costs a lot of money,

Bear in mind, MS office isn't the only office suite on Windows. Libre Office is also a decent option.

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i don't think you can build a pc for $1100 that's a lot faster than a Mac Mini.

Not at the same size, but trading 2 cores for a 1070, my emulation PC was in the same neighborhood as the mini. The exctra cost is just to get that Mac Mini something between 1/6 and 1/8 the size.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

It wont... But if you need that much horsepower then you should have never even looked at Apple... All software that would even think of utilizing a setup like that doesnt exist on macOS.

Apple is aiming for content creators and productivity, not quad GPU compute beasts for... I'm not sure. CAD?

Also. That doesn't qualify Apple as weak sauce in specs. The top end MBP already has more power than most people would need. The iMac Pro is a content creating beast, especially in its formfactor. Even the lowest end MBP (2c/4t, 8GB RAM, iGPU) is plenty for the majority of people who don't expect to use it as a portable workstation...

Okay, how is apple with its puny hardware going to beat a 5k pc in content productivity. How is it with core i3,i5 going to to be fit for video editing?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

11 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

that depends on the Mac. the iMac Pro can have up to an 18 core xeon, 128gb of ram and a vega 64. is that still 'weak sauce'?

Yes for a 5,000 dollars pc, that is very weak sauce. 

The fact that is 2 in one instead of full size tower should already tell you it will be weak. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Just now, wasab said:

Okay, how is apple with its puny hardware going to beat a 5k pc in content productivity.

Final Cure Pro X + Intel Quicksync has faster encode times and/or better quality than Adobe Premiere on what's typically considered workstation level machines.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Final Cure Pro X + Intel Quicksync has faster encode times and/or better quality than Adobe Premiere on what's typically considered workstation level machines.

You are simply turning to the apple's softwares for its saving grace. MacOS isn't going to magically enable its underpower hardware to perform on par with a full fledged pc. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

8 minutes ago, wasab said:

You are simply turning to the apple's softwares for its saving grace. MacOS isn't going to magically enable its underpower hardware to perform on par with a full fledged pc. 

FCP's superior optimization to Adobe Premier will...

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Just now, SenpaiKaplan said:

FCP's superior optimization to Adobe Premier will...

How? Software's are just 1s and 0s you can download over the Internet. How is that going to make up ground for the difference in pure horse power of its physical hardware's?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 minutes ago, wasab said:

How? Software's are just 1s and 0s you can download over the Internet. How is that going to make up ground for the difference in pure horse power of its physical hardware's?

Well without software your 5k pc is just a paperweight 

9 minutes ago, julekule said:

Well without software your 5k pc is just a paperweight 

Bad software is temporary liability and can be fixed by bug fixes and updates. Bad hardware is a permanent liability 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

7 minutes ago, wasab said:

Bad software is temporary liability and can be fixed by bug fixes and updates. Bad hardware is a permanent liability 

What in your mind is bad hardware? anythgin less the quad 32 core xeons and 4 titans?

1 minute ago, julekule said:

What in your mind is bad hardware? anythgin less the quad 32 core xeons and 4 titans?

For example, I want a $1,000 level performance. An i5 Mac is bad performance. Period. 

I'm not talking about absolute performance here but relative performance as compare to a PC. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Spoiler

A9F1E9EF-172A-4F39-8247-481A258AD1BB.thumb.jpeg.843eba6bbbba64923aa10de61a1d51a8.jpeg

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Just now, wasab said:

For example, I want a $1,000 level performance. An i5 Mac is bad performance. Period. 

yeah of course. if you just want pure performance then way buy a mac mini.

36 minutes ago, wasab said:

Yes for a 5,000 dollars pc, that is very weak sauce. 

i thought that when LTT, one of the most anti-Apple channels when it comes to these things, tested it they found that the iMac was cheaper than buying all of the parts. 

45 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Bear in mind, MS office isn't the only office suite on Windows. Libre Office is also a decent option.

true, but i personally have had some issues with Libre when it comes to editing and saving documents as docx files. 

i read somewhere that could be Microsofts fault, but regardless i had issues with it. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

true, but i personally have had some issues with Libre when it comes to editing and saving documents as docx files. 

i read somewhere that could be Microsofts fault, but regardless i had issues with it. 

I tend to stick to MS office mostly because thats what i am used to using.

5 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i thought that when LTT, one of the most anti-Apple channels when it comes to these things, tested it they found that the iMac was cheaper than buying all of the parts. 

Cheaper in what? Their 5k screen? Maybe but does your monitor make your computer perform better? Does Mac mini or Mac pro even include a screen? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, julekule said:

I tend to stick to MS office mostly because thats what i am used to using.

i've cursed MS office. 

a week or 2 ago i tried to quit word, and it asked me to save so i did. then the document came up again, and when i wanted to close it it asked to save again. repeat that about 10 times, after that i was angry so i just force quit word. turns out it didn't save my document. after hitting save 10+ times. ugh. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

tested it they found that the iMac was cheaper than buying all of the parts. 

The current Mac Pro, when it first came out, actually had some of the cheapest configurations for workstations. Spec for spec, you couldn't built a cheaper system and tick the same boxes, you either sacrificed something or you spent more.

Now, it's easy to build better, cheaper with new parts, especially if you go the AMD Epyc/Threadripper route, but newish machines rocking the same generation hardware is still going to be the same ballpark.

I kind of hope that it's a similar case with the next Mac Pro,

I would also appreciate it if they just had a 'Mac' desktop that was just a tall mini with a GPU or two, better cooling, and a few more USB ports.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

44 minutes ago, wasab said:

Does Mac mini or Mac pro even include a screen? 

we're not talking about the mac mini or mac pro. 

44 minutes ago, wasab said:

Cheaper in what? Their 5k screen? Maybe but does your monitor make your computer perform better?

so your argument is that you are going to buy a pc for $5000 without a keyboard, mouse or display because it will perform better than an iMac? but oyu can't use it like that lmao. 

42 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I would also appreciate it if they just had a 'Mac' desktop that was just a tall mini with a GPU or two

they made Mac Mini's with dGPU's in them a while back. i guess they stopped doing that because most people don't buy a Mac Mini to play games. 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, wasab said:

Cheaper in what? Their 5k screen? Maybe but does your monitor make your computer perform better? Does Mac mini or Mac pro even include a screen? 

Building a tower identical to the spec of an iMac Pro (including the monitor. Since the iMac obviously comes with one)

The iMac was almost the same price to an identical tower. And LTT even gave them the PC a benefit by choosing a cheap case, while the iMacs form factor certainly isn't.

And no, the Mac Mini does not include a screen. What does that matter?

The Mac Pro is an old device, the refresh is coming soon. As for now, its not worth talking about as nobody is buying it. Anybody who wants a workstation mac is buying the iMac pro.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

they made Mac Mini's with dGPU's in them a while back. i guess they stopped doing that because most people don't buy a Mac Mini to play games. 

For most people integrated intel graphics is more then they need

Yeah, but this wouldn't really be a 'mini,' more of a half step between the mini and pro.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I agree with many of your points, but my solution is Linux, despite the slightly higher time requirement to set everything up. Having used it for over 3 years every day, I have never had a driver issue that prevented me from working and overall my installation has only ever required minimal maintenance (with one exception that was almost entirely my fault).

Then again, if I had to use a company provided laptop and wasn't allowed to use Linux for integration reasons I would probably ask for a Mac, too (after all, I wouldn't be the one paying for it - that's at least 50% of my issues with Apple gone). That wouldn't be the case if I were hired by LMG though since I'm sure there would be no problems with me using Linux. It also wouldn't be a mac mini, those things are underpowered, overheating trash and I'd regret the lack of any upgradeability whatsoever in a matter of months.

I think there's also an argument to be made about an employee who can do the best of what the has and only ask for something as specific as a mac if they have some numbers to back their point - if working on windows or linux severely decreased their productivity for reasons other than his personal preference it wouldn't be hard to convince Linus (or Luke, or whoever is directly in charge of their work) that a mac may be worth the investment. First show what you can do, then suggest that with different equipment you could do even more.

On 2/23/2019 at 6:24 PM, GoodBytes said:

Vim / Vi is accessible through Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL - A technology that allows your to run Linux OS and programs under Windows 10 natively), where you can install and run Linux version of Apache, NGINX, and anything else you want. Available official distros are, so far: Ubuntu, Kali Linux, Debian, Alpine, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, openSUSE Leap. Unofficial one: Fedora Remix

While this is technically true, I found it to be a clunky nightmare. Vim is available natively for windows, so that's not really an issue - but other things he mentioned and the general usage paradigm of the system are not easily reproducible with WSL, which doesn't actually behave as if it were a full linux system in many circumstances and has limited interaction with windows.

Yes, you can run nginx and similar services - but that's about it; it acts more like a compatibility layer than a real linux system. Also, as far as I know, you can't run anything graphical without a separate Xorg service running, which is another can of worms onto itself. In my experience, Windows is at its best when you barely have to interact with it and your IDE takes care of what you might want to do with separate tools if you were on Linux or MacOS.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

It's mostly because they can barely (as in they can't) cool the CPU as it is, and many mac minis would fail due to constantly overheating gpus. Since they couldn't put in anything significantly more powerful than an iGPU anyway, they just figured it wasn't worth it.

6 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

The Mac Pro is an old device, the refresh is coming soon. As for now, its not worth talking about as nobody is buying it. Anybody who wants a workstation mac is buying the iMac pro.

I personally know video editors who transitioned to using a hackintosh because the mac pro is a joke at this point, and it has been for over 3 years.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Late last year I bought a manufacturer refurbished 2012 MBP and so far it’s been great for productivity, both casual and light professional.