Find results in...
PandooZa

Installing windows 10 after CPU/Motherboard upgrade

1 minute ago, PandooZa said:

So what I can do, please correct me if i'm wrong:

1. Make a USB boot drive. 

2. Swap the CPU/Motherboard.

3. Boot the PC on the USB boot drive.

4. Hit clean install on C drive (Boot SSD).

5. And log in with my Microsoft account so my Windows 10 will be activated

Is that about it? 

Pretty much! You'll need to run a format on the boot SSD, but that's achievable through the install GUI.

Windows won't touch your other drives on installation.

Posted · Original PosterOP

I want to upgrade my CPU and Motherboard. At this moment I got w10 installed (with my personal account).

I want to do a clean install on my boot drive, but don't want to erase my all of my disks (I got one for my games, and one for my programs). Is there a way to manage this?

I think what might work: disconnect all drives except boot drive, and then clean install windows 10 via a USB?

Then make sure everything works fine, and plug in the other drives one by one?

If there is a different/other way, fill me in! I don't want to lose everything that is on the other drives

26 minutes ago, PandooZa said:

I want to upgrade my CPU and Motherboard. At this moment I got w10 installed (with my personal account).

I want to do a clean install on my boot drive, but don't want to erase my all of my disks (I got one for my games, and one for my programs). Is there a way to manage this?

I think what might work: disconnect all drives except boot drive, and then clean install windows 10 via a USB?

Then make sure everything works fine, and plug in the other drives one by one?

If there is a different/other way, fill me in! I don't want to lose everything that is on the other drives

No uncle billys Winblows is not that bad to erase stuff from other drives.  I wouldn't even be scared so to disconnect the other drives and just use primary.  Windows is concerned with your C driver,, also name of the disk... Its dealings is with one drive, your boot drive.  

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4505 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1911 @ 9CL & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

AOC 40" 4k Curved / Samsung 40" 4k TV 120 MR / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus m.2 Card

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G910 & G700s & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk By BandLab / NF-A14 Intake / NF-P12 Exhaust

If you have questions putting it in a USB stick and installing it let us know.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4505 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1911 @ 9CL & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

AOC 40" 4k Curved / Samsung 40" 4k TV 120 MR / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus m.2 Card

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G910 & G700s & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk By BandLab / NF-A14 Intake / NF-P12 Exhaust

2 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

No uncle billys Winblows is not that bad to erase stuff from other drives.  I wouldn't even be scared so to disconnect the other drives and just use primary.  Windows is concerned with your C driver,, also name of the disk... Its dealings is with one drive, your boot drive.  

Is that about it? 

Posted · Best Answer
1 minute ago, PandooZa said:

Is that about it? 

Pretty much! You'll need to run a format on the boot SSD, but that's achievable through the install GUI.

Just now, Dave Macaulay said:

Sweet! Cheers man! Seems easier then I tought it would be haha