How do I pull data from 1/2 of raid 1?

Bajantechnician
Go to solution Solved by seagate_surfer,

That's okay, I understand. It surprised me too the first time I used it and then I realized what it could do but the fact that everything is disorganized tires me. If you have enough time you could save some bucks by recovering everything in a folder and then go review file by file and go organizing them manually in separate folders???? Or you could use a tool that organizes everything for you. 

Hi guys,

So... my raid 1 finally died. I've had 2 drives, of which one of them died. How do I pull data off the living drive with the folders/file structure still intact? It's currently a dynamic disk, so I'm not sure how to read from it without wiping data. The raid was created using the windows "mirror" feature for disks, so no raid cards or anything, just straight sata from the drive to the motherboard.

Thanks guys!

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

As far as I'm aware you can just read from it as normal, is that not the case?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

20 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

Ive tried it, but it requires i pay for it or something? Maybe im not looking at the right place lol 

19 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

As far as I'm aware you can just read from it as normal, is that not the case?

Nu uh, its not even mounting. It shows up in disk manager as a dynamic disk and the only way i can mount it is if i do a full wipe of it.

1 minute ago, Bajantechnician said:

Ive tried it, but it requires i pay for it or something? Maybe im not looking at the right place lol 

Nu uh, its not even mounting. It shows up in disk manager as a dynamic disk and the only way i can mount it is if i do a full wipe of it.

You will probably be asked to pay a certain amount of money, the free tools may or may not do what you are looking for.

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

1 minute ago, seagate_surfer said:

You will probably be asked to pay a certain amount of money, the free tools may or may not do what you are looking for.

I see. Ive used recuva on the dead drive and was able to find all 20k of my files, but its basically saved into one large folder with no structure.  >.<

Yes, I know! Although it is impressive (and free), that specific thing is something I do not like about him, Recuva and I continue to be friends thou.?

Just now, seagate_surfer said:

Yes, I know! Although it is impressive (and free), that specific thing is something I do not like about him, Recuva and I continue to be friends thou.?

Yeah, I was so surprised that it found everything too! Maybe ill just redownload EaseUS and try it again. I just didn't want to spend $35 on something I'm never going to use again. I bought a Synology NAS that holds 21TB at the moment in raid 6. Next time in the future, I can just throw a new drive in instead of having to read from it again through windows

That's okay, I understand. It surprised me too the first time I used it and then I realized what it could do but the fact that everything is disorganized tires me. If you have enough time you could save some bucks by recovering everything in a folder and then go review file by file and go organizing them manually in separate folders???? Or you could use a tool that organizes everything for you. 

11 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

Yeah, i was going to do that manually. My desktop isnt finished yet, so I'm viewing 42mb raws over wifi which suckssssss. It look me 10 minutes to organize 40 pictures lmao. Does the tool organize by creation date or modified date? I often edit pictures from different sessions on the same day.

I assume that Recuva dates the file with the date it was retrieved, so filtering by date may not be an option to re-organize, but I could be wrong! I'm trying to remember because it's been a while since I last used it.

5 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

I assume that Recuva dates the file with the date it was retrieved, so filtering by date may not be an option to re-organize, but I could be wrong! I'm trying to remember because it's been a while since I last used it.

Theres a filter by date, but it bundles dates by modified, which means that different sessions are combined together >.<

25 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

Yes, I remember seeing something like that, I just could not explain exactly what it was.

Was too busy over the weekend to work on the drive, hope you had a good weekend too :P Ill update ya when i try working on the drive again. Thanks again for all the help :)

On 3/1/2019 at 11:33 AM, seagate_surfer said:

You are welcome! happy weekend again! hahaha

As to you! Hahha

With RAID 1 drives generally you can just disconnect the bad drive and mount the good one normally. Sometimes windows is stupid and you have to go into disk management and assign a letter to the drive. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

14 hours ago, Lord Xeb said:

With RAID 1 drives generally you can just disconnect the bad drive and mount the good one normally. Sometimes windows is stupid and you have to go into disk management and assign a letter to the drive. 

Seems that when i want to mount it i have to reformat it, which removes data

I would stay away from everything that has to do with reformatting at this time... First recover everything and once you are sure you already have what you want, reformat if you wish.

On 3/3/2019 at 7:54 PM, Bajantechnician said:

Seems that when i want to mount it i have to reformat it, which removes data

Looks like the file system is damaged. You could try using a piece of software called GetDataBack NTFS. Works really well. https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Alternatively, have a look at R-Studio. Both work well but they are paid software. 

Both of these tools can be used to attempt to recover the file structure and allow you get your data back. I have used both many times in the past, and they work like a treat as long as the drive in question isn't failing. 

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

On 3/4/2019 at 7:40 AM, seagate_surfer said:

I would stay away from everything that has to do with reformatting at this time... First recover everything and once you are sure you already have what you want, reformat if you wish.

Currently, I have everything off the dead drive, which is mirrored on the 2nd drive. It's just the file structure id really like since there's about 20k things ?

10 hours ago, Lord Xeb said:

Looks like the file system is damaged. You could try using a piece of software called GetDataBack NTFS. Works really well. https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Alternatively, have a look at R-Studio. Both work well but they are paid software. 

Both of these tools can be used to attempt to recover the file structure and allow you get your data back. I have used both many times in the past, and they work like a treat as long as the drive in question isn't failing. 

Yeah, it seems that when I plug in the drive it just doesn't read it. It shows up in disk manager but not in file explorer. In disk manager it shows as a "dynamic disk" and it won't mount. When I attempt to mount it, it shows a warning that mounting requires it be a basic disk and that it'll format the drive.

Is than any option to import a foreign raid array?

20 hours ago, Lord Xeb said:

Is than any option to import a foreign raid array?

Ive got a synology nas set up that i can save data to if thats what you mean :P

No that is not what I mean. With Windows you can import foreign raid arrays.