BYOC ticket question

Deltawing457
Go to solution Solved by k.m.p,

bear in mind you do not have to bring a computer in order to come to the show- you can just buy a normal one or two day pass like most people will. Which is what I'm gonna try to do, I might come to ltx from the uk, but there is no way I'd be able to bring a computer and risk the shipping damage/cost.

This might be a stupid question, is it alright to buy a BYOC ticket if you have no intention of bringing said computer?
I'm a bit confused on whether or not LTX runs through the night or just the Dreamhack event and I don't want to have to grab a hotel because I'm poor.

Edit: There are many reasons im going with the BYOC ticket NOT just because I'm poor, I worded this question poorly.

On 2/22/2019 at 7:10 AM, Deltawing457 said:

This might be a stupid question, is it alright to buy a BYOC ticket if you have no intention of bringing said computer?
I'm a bit confused on whether or not LTX runs through the night or just the Dreamhack event and I don't want to have to grab a hotel because I'm poor.

If you can't bring your computer and won't need your ticket I'll buy it from you ;)

On 2/22/2019 at 10:10 AM, Deltawing457 said:

Can you clarify exactly what you intend on doing?

You can totally buy a BYOC computer and then not bring it. But you're not gonna have a computer there to use. So if you just want to throw away the money (or "donate" it to LTT), then sure, go ahead.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

You could, but seems kind of like a dick move for those who can bring their computers and can't get tickets.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 hours ago, dizmo said:

You could, but seems kind of like a dick move for those who can bring their computers and can't get tickets.

I'm sorry what? Me not wanting to bring my PC to dreamhack is somehow disrespectful?

7 minutes ago, Deltawing457 said:

I'm sorry what? Me not wanting to bring my PC to dreamhack is somehow disrespectful? GTFO with your crap

The reason its seen as disrispectful is because there is a limit to 500 seats at the byoc, its not about wasting the money but the fact that if you buy a ticket and not use the byoc, somebody else that would have wanted to bring a computer to the byoc and actually used it missed out.

If your going to buy a byoc, only do so if you actually intend to use it, otherwise its a waste of your money and denying somebody who could have actually bought a computer to the byoc a chance to do so

bear in mind you do not have to bring a computer in order to come to the show- you can just buy a normal one or two day pass like most people will. Which is what I'm gonna try to do, I might come to ltx from the uk, but there is no way I'd be able to bring a computer and risk the shipping damage/cost.

2 minutes ago, k.m.p said:

its not about wasting the money

otherwise its a waste of your money

Right.. I'm going to LTX because I WANT to go to LTX. I'm going to Dreamhack because I WANT to go to Dreamhack. Are you seeing where I'm going here? My question gets ignored for over a week and then I get a bunch of crap responses including two people calling me a dick/disrespectful for not wanting to bring my PC and two telling me to sell my ticket.

10/10

1 hour ago, Deltawing457 said:

Right.. I'm going to LTX because I WANT to go to LTX. I'm going to Dreamhack because I WANT to go to Dreamhack. Are you seeing where I'm going here? My question gets ignored for over a week and then I get a bunch of crap responses including two people calling me a dick/disrespectful for not wanting to bring my PC and two telling me to sell my ticket.

10/10

yeah, my mistake, I definitely could have worded that response better, to reword it, its not JUST about wasting the money, if you want to go to ltx, great, just going to say that the dreamhack byoc probably won't be that much fun if you don't bring a computer, since it quite literally is a 500 seat gaming area for people to bring their computers to, and I still stand by my statement that its unfair towards people who actually want to bring a computer to the dreamhack. Nobody is saying you are disrepectful for not bringing a computer to ltx, in fact with Linus saying on wan show that there is a maximun of about 8000 (I think) tickets and only 500 byoc tickets, majority of people will not be bringing a computer to the show.

sorry for your question being ignored before, and for my reply or anyone elses on this forum having offended you, it was not the intention.

1 hour ago, Deltawing457 said:

10/10

Please clarify your request.

You want to watch other people play at Dreamhack? If so, I'm pretty sure you don't need a special ticket for that. The 2-day pass should be sufficient.

However, the BYOC ticket gives you access to the 500-seat BYOC area (For people to setup LAN's, and/or actually compete). If you're not bringing a computer, you're not going to need the BYOC area.

So buying a ticket for the BYOC area without bringing a computer means that someone who actually wants to bring their computer won't be able to. Does that make sense?

So if you can provide a bit more information as to what exactly you want to do, we can provide a better answer as to whether you should buy a BYOC ticket.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 2/22/2019 at 9:10 AM, Deltawing457 said:

Edit: There are many reasons im going with the BYOC ticket NOT just because I'm poor, I worded this question poorly.

I needed to know if bringing a PC is "Required" or if i was going to be shown the door (stupid i know)  This question was answered 2 days before the first response on this thread and I haven't the slightest clue how to lock it.

I respect that you guys have a different opinion than my own but the bottom line is I own this ticket now and ill use said ticket without the slightest remorse that someone else wanted it and couldn't have it.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

52 minutes ago, Deltawing457 said:

I needed to know if bringing a PC is "Required" or if i was going to be shown the door (stupid i know)  This question was answered 2 days before the first response on this thread and I haven't the slightest clue how to lock it.

I respect that you guys have a different opinion than my own but the bottom line is I own this ticket now and ill use said ticket without the slightest remorse that someone else wanted it and couldn't have it.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

No staff aren't going to kick you out. As you said, you paid for the ticket, and it's yours to do with as you see fit.

I think what OP is trying to say is that he wants to spend the night at the convention instead of getting a hotel as well as watch the dreamhack event. There are Hostels within walking distance that are super affordable. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor Motherboard: N7-B55XT-W1: [US-3DTC1-N] N7 B550 Motherboard - AMD B550 Chipset with Wi-Fi and White Cover  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Gaming OC 3X Video Card Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower White with Tempered glass  Storage: WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 5,150 MB/s   PSU: CORSAIR RM Series (2021), White, RM850, 850 Watt, 80 Plus Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply Display(s): 1xMSI Optix MAG272CRX 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor 2x ASUS VZ239H-W 23" Full HD 1080p IPS HDMI VGA Eye Care Monitor Cooling: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition: 5G Optical Sensor 16,000 DPI Sound: Audio-Technia ATH-M20x Professional studio monitor Headphones, black.  Operating System: Linux Pop!_OS with KDE Plasma desktop environment Mic: Elgato Wave:3

linktr.ee/Elektra57

3 minutes ago, PrincessHeinz57 said:

I think what OP is trying to say is that he wants to spend the night at the convention instead of getting a hotel.

I'm not sure they're going to want people actually camping out and sleeping in the event hall. Though if you're gonna pull an all nighter, shouldn't be a problem.

Though, on reflection, the LTX site doesn't make any clarifications about sleeping in the event hall for the BYOC area. It's an area setup for a 500 PC LAN though, so I can't imagine it'll be comfortable to find a place to sleep there, but perhaps a corner and a sleeping bag will be sufficient.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm not sure they're going to want people actually camping out and sleeping in the event hall. Though if you're gonna pull an all nighter, shouldn't be a problem.

Though, on reflection, the LTX site doesn't make any clarifications about sleeping in the event hall for the BYOC area. It's an area setup for a 500 PC LAN though, so I can't imagine it'll be comfortable to find a place to sleep there, but perhaps a corner and a sleeping bag will be sufficient.

LOCK IN!!!! lol Those used to be fun when I was younger. Probably not so much now. I get cranky if I don't have at least 4 hours sleep.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor Motherboard: N7-B55XT-W1: [US-3DTC1-N] N7 B550 Motherboard - AMD B550 Chipset with Wi-Fi and White Cover  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Gaming OC 3X Video Card Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower White with Tempered glass  Storage: WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 5,150 MB/s   PSU: CORSAIR RM Series (2021), White, RM850, 850 Watt, 80 Plus Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply Display(s): 1xMSI Optix MAG272CRX 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor 2x ASUS VZ239H-W 23" Full HD 1080p IPS HDMI VGA Eye Care Monitor Cooling: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition: 5G Optical Sensor 16,000 DPI Sound: Audio-Technia ATH-M20x Professional studio monitor Headphones, black.  Operating System: Linux Pop!_OS with KDE Plasma desktop environment Mic: Elgato Wave:3

linktr.ee/Elektra57

I'll also weigh-in here and say that it's not going to be much fun to have a BYOC ticket without a computer..

This is not a "DreamHack event" like they put on in other cities. It's a "LAN Party powered by DreamHack".

With no PC you'll just be standing there watching others game at night.

As long as you know what you're getting yourself into, then it's up to you, though.

Linus

14 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Linus said that napping on your keyboard was okay-ish. I don't intend to be sleeping.

Just now, LinusTech said:

I'll also weigh-in here and say that it's not going to be much fun to have a BYOC ticket without a computer..

This is not a "DreamHack event" like they put on in other cities. It's a "LAN Party powered by DreamHack".

With no PC you'll just be standing there watching others game at night.

As long as you know what you're getting yourself into, then it's up to you, though.

Linus

I still intend to bring my laptop to game I just wanted to know if it was one of those situations where if I didnt for some reason would it be a problem. My logic was focused more on "what if I can't" rather than "I don't want to" I just suck at words.

23 minutes ago, Deltawing457 said:

Linus said that napping on your keyboard was okay-ish. I don't intend to be sleeping.

I still intend to bring my laptop to game I just wanted to know if it was one of those situations where if I didnt for some reason would it be a problem. My logic was focused more on "what if I can't" rather than "I don't want to" I just suck at words.

got it ;)

Defs bring your laptop, even if it's low spec. A LOT of people will probably be doing the same thing and playing like.. Worms Armageddon and stuff..

Ooo I've not played worms in a long time. It'd be fun to setup retroarch with netplay too and play the heck out of some retro games in multiplayer. 

15 hours ago, Deltawing457 said:

I haven't the slightest clue how to lock it.

Only moderators and admins have this ability, but I see no reason to do so.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 hours ago, camarokris said:

Ooo I've not played worms in a long time. It'd be fun to setup retroarch with netplay too and play the heck out of some retro games in multiplayer. 

I was going to split my time between forts and apex