YouTube - Bad Comments Can Demonetize Your Video

Lurick
Just now, Haaselh0ff said:

Forcing Youtubers to moderate their own communities? Wouldn't that be like... a really stupid idea? Like imagine moderating a 9,000,000+ million subscriber community

This is my point exactly, there is literally now way that you can protect yourself from this other than disabling comments outright.

Content creators will need to monitor their comment sections for each video for weeks if they want to get the full ad revenue from it.

Everyone know people are just going to make horrible comments on people's videos they don't like just to get then demonitized. I don't see why any content creator would open themselves up to that sorta risk. There is no way people wont use this for malicious reasons. 

Not sure if there is something like this that already exists, but if they can detect bad comments that demonetise a video, cannot they just provide a content creator with an auto-moderation tool that deletes said comments?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

1 minute ago, Mehmy said:

That.. Is one of the most stupid things Youtube has done so far.. We really need a competitor to Youtube

To compete with YouTube would be hard. The biggest obstacle would be trying to monetize. Unless it is another big company with connections it would be hard to get good advertising deals. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

To compete with YouTube would be hard. The biggest obstacle would be trying to monetize. Unless it is another big company with connections it would be hard to get good advertising deals. 

Sadly true, but until we get a true competitor to Youtube, they'll continue doing stupid things like this

Creators will just have to disable comments if they want to make any money on their videos now. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, Nocte said:

Not sure if there is something like this that already exists, but if they can detect bad comments that demonetise a video, cannot they just provide a content creator with an auto-moderation tool that deletes said comments?

Yeah it's weird that the content creator gets punished rather than the commenter. You would think they would simply delete and punish people for such comments. I also don't get why companies would care what happens on the troll fest that is YouTube comments section. How would that affect advertising in any way is beyond me. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

4 minutes ago, Nocte said:

This. A million times this.     

Clearly if YouTube can detect bad comments to demonetize, they can put up a block or something or at least give the uploader the option to turn on this feature. They would just rather let advertisers have their way and eventually put all the channels advertisers don't like to be associated with, out of business. Which will turn YouTube into another "cable provider like company" governed by what advertisers want, not the community.   ..smh

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

Either this is some last ditch attemot at profitability by making most videos invalid for monetization OR the "bad" comments are going to follow a particular political stance.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Creators will just have to disable comments if they want to make any money on their videos now. 

...and there's the first step to cutting out the public from having any voice on what goes on with YouTube. Not to mention neutering the community aspect that most people enjoy about YouTube... very disappointing.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Either this is some last ditch attemot at profitability by making most videos invalid for monetization OR the "bad" comments are going to follow a particular political stance.

I don't get why serving less advertisements would increase profitability. 

Demonetizing videos benefits YouTube. The less money they have to pay out to a creator the better.

I think youtube takes like 30% of ad revenue on monetized vids. By removing monetization entirely YouTube now doesn't have to pay the creator 70% of the revenue, and only takes 30% as a loss.

They don't serve less advertisements, they just don't pay the creator for the video.

Truth be told, there are plenty of videos that are "invalid" for monetazation that many advertisers would not be disinterested in advertising on. But they either have political stances or a fall out of public favor with avocal minority (usually SJWs).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

At this point why they don't just remove the comment section, the chat, the dislike or even better close the whole fucking site cause some mentally ill find it ""offensive""

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Just now, Drak3 said:

They don't serve less advertisements, they just don't pay the creator for the video.

Truth be told, there are plenty of videos that are "invalid" for monetazation that many advertisers would not be disinterested in advertising on. But they either have political stances or a fall out of public favor with avocal minority (usually SJWs).

Wait so they still run advertisements on demonitized videos? That makes 0 sense. 

27 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

I'm not sure if this is only in regards to the pedophilia spiral that was discussed recently or if this is YouTube opening the doors for advertisers to decide what is "suitable" content for their ads to be played on. Hopefully it's the former because the latter I can see this being the start of the downfall of YouTube.

In my opinion this is really going to stifle community involvement on YouTube as I can see tons of creators outright disabling comments on their videos simply to keep them from being demonetized.

They really need to come up with a better way to deal with the people actually posting this stuff rather than obligating content creators to monitor their comment sections 24/7 as all this does is open the door for trolls and their ilk to destroy people's careers.

PS this is my first news topic so please be gentle ?

Also shoutout to @lewdicrous for originally posting this in one of their status updates.

Let the games begin!

Everyone start spamming inappropriate comments on all the videos of any youtubers that you don't like! 

On a serious note this decision was made with the consequences taken into consideration to make youtube less liable and more profitable at the expense of it's creators and viewers.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

...and there's the first step to cutting out the public from having any voice on what goes on with YouTube. Not to mention neutering the community aspect that most people enjoy about YouTube... very disappointing.

Exactly,the comments section can be fun and some channel owners rely on helpful comments for feedback on their content.

Wait so they still run advertisements on demonitized videos? That makes 0 sense. 

It becomes harder to claim company X supports Youtuber Y and his beliefs if he doesn't get money.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.