Go to solution Solved by r2724r16,
28 minutes ago, seoz said:

My process is as follows:

1. Take out Samsung 850 Evo
  2. Put in Crucial P1
  3. Insert Windows 10 USB key
  4. Install Windows 10 onto Crucial P1
  5. Insert Samsung 850 Evo after install is complete
  6. Format Samsung 850 Evo to get both the Crucial P1 + Samsung 850 Evo working in tandem
  7. Profit.

That's 100% correct.

29 minutes ago, seoz said:

Also, it's a storage upgrade only, so in theory if I sign into my Microsoft account, I should still have Windows 10 activation, right?

Linking your Windows key to your Microsoft account is a good idea. This guarantees that you can activate Windows 10.

Here's how to do it: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

Usually, Windows will remain activated if you change your storage but not your motherboard, but do as I said above just to be safe (so you don't need to buy another Windows activation key).

Hi, so I'm ever so close to getting a new 500GB Crucial P1 NVME M.2 SSD to replace my smol 250GB Samsung 850 Evo, but before I do decide to pull the trigger, I wanted to know the exact process I should be following before I go through with the purchase and the switch.

2. Put in Crucial P1
  6. Format Samsung 850 Evo to get both the Crucial P1 + Samsung 850 Evo working in tandem
  7. Profit.

Is this the correct process flow I should be conducting in order to get my new Crucial P1 NVME up and running? Also, it's a storage upgrade only, so in theory if I sign into my Microsoft account, I should still have Windows 10 activation, right?

I also have a PCIE Wi-Fi card, so I could in theory download the drivers for it on another USB and install the Wi-Fi drivers that way, right?

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Most manufacturers have a cloning software so, in theory, all you need to do is attach both drives and, clone the old one to the new drive.

Here's Crucial's software with instructions: https://www.backup-utility.com/articles/crucial-ssd-clone-software-0708i.html

t was written for HDD but, should work the same way with an M.2

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Have you considered cloning and then enlarging the system drive? I'm asking out of curiosity.

Doing it your way, you can always go back to your old disk, but I see no problems with it. The worse thing you should expect is wasting some time on a phone waiting for help with activation.

You can install any software that has offline installer accessible to you, and even if you have no Ethernet connection, you could use tethering on your phone if you encounter problems and need Internet connection.

2 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Most manufacturers have a cloning software so, in theory, all you need to do is attach both drives and, clone the old one to the new drive.

2 hours ago, Loote said:

Have you considered cloning and then enlarging the system drive? I'm asking out of curiosity.

I'd rather start fresh with a new drive, to be honest. I know there's some junk on my 850 evo that is hogging storage that I can't seem to find.

2 hours ago, Loote said:

Doing it your way, you can always go back to your old disk, but I see no problems with it. The worse thing you should expect is wasting some time on a phone waiting for help with activation.

It actually sounds cumbersome as hell calling up for activaton so I'm fully expecting just to buy another Windows 10 key off eBay or something.

2 hours ago, Loote said:

You can install any software that has offline installer accessible to you, and even if you have no Ethernet connection, you could use tethering on your phone if you encounter problems and need Internet connection.

Oh yeah, I am not sure why that never crossed my mind! Mobile tethering will be my friend if I ever hit a snag with internet connectivity once I switch to my new drive.

Just now, seoz said:

I'd rather start fresh with a new drive, to be honest. I know there's some junk on my 850 evo that is hogging storage that I can't seem to find.

There's an option to only copy Windows itself but, if you don't mind setting things up again then, doing it your way will do fine as well.

Your license is usually tied to your Motherboard and your Microsoft account if you have one so, it will reactivate itself after you are done installing.

Just make sure you click on the "I don't have a license key" and "I'll activate it later" options in the installer.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

28 minutes ago, seoz said:

2. Put in Crucial P1
  7. Profit.

That's 100% correct.

29 minutes ago, seoz said:

Also, it's a storage upgrade only, so in theory if I sign into my Microsoft account, I should still have Windows 10 activation, right?

Linking your Windows key to your Microsoft account is a good idea. This guarantees that you can activate Windows 10.

Here's how to do it: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

Usually, Windows will remain activated if you change your storage but not your motherboard, but do as I said above just to be safe (so you don't need to buy another Windows activation key).

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

3 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Your license is usually tied to your Motherboard and your Microsoft account if you have one so, it will reactivate itself after you are done installing.

Just make sure you click on the "I don't have a license key" and "I'll activate it later" options in the installer.

Got it, I'll note that down.

For problems with things taking up a lot of your storage space, check out SpaceSniffer or WizTree, the first is great visually, but scans my disk in a minute, the other one does so in 3 seconds and offers more features, but just doesn't look so good. Both of those allow you to quickly find the biggest space hoggers.