Game server

TheEncrypter

Hey! I've been thinking about hosting my own game server (minecraft up to 40players) and I don't know what hardware is good so could anybody help choose good hardware? Budget maybe under 800euros,

No I will still host it even if it isn't very good idea idc. 

3 minutes ago, TheEncrypter said:

Hey! I've been thinking about hosting my own game server (minecraft up to 40players) and I don't know what hardware is good so could anybody help choose good hardware? Budget maybe under 800euros,

Something that's 4 or 6 cores. minecraft i found uses your CPU to generate worlds and for that many players, it's a must.

Maybe a I5-8400 or something like that.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

1 minute ago, TheEncrypter said:

Yeah I know that but I do not know how to choose good hardware.

I'll send you a parts list in about 2-2 1/2 hours (unless someone else does)

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

10 minutes ago, TheEncrypter said:

Java or bedrock? Because I managed to get 30 people onto an ancient core 2 quad 8400 with bedrock.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, TheEncrypter said:

Java

Alright then you do need a bit more computational power for Java, you could probably get away with an old 3570 workstation or something then.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Is there something more expensive?

Always!

2 minutes ago, TheEncrypter said:

Since thats only 100dollars so could you find better servers?

I could, but at the moment, as many large corporations are purging their stocks of these computers as they upgrade all their offices, the value quickly plummets as we move toward newer and faster computers.

It doesnt matter to me, You can suggest good parts too I can build it it doesnt matter

Just now, TheEncrypter said:

It doesnt matter to me, You can suggest good parts too I can build it it doesnt matter

Ok, give me a few to assemble a high end Minecraft server.

ok but remember under 800euros

Windows or Linux? (as it is a server Linux will consume less performance and offer more options while being free, allowing for more expensive parts)

Also do you have a GPU that you could temporarily use to set the computer up?

no I dont you can add it too but not any expensive since i dont need good?

2 minutes ago, TheEncrypter said:

no I dont you can add it too but not any expensive since i dont need good?

Ok, yeah I was planning on adding a GT710. Also, do you need a Wi-Fi adapter?

Okay so that looks good and I think I need wifi card could you add one please?

I would avoid a Wi-Fi cards remember, if your hosting the server your going to have to port forward as people connect to your network. Your going to want to have a hard wired connection, preferably to match whatever the maximum speeds of your router are. The other big concern is do you have enough band width to share amount all those players. Hardware is only part of the server hosting, the other part is having the internet to actual connect to all those players. Personal servers with small groups of friends are great but with larger more unknown groups of players it helps to use a proper hosting website. To be honest your also don't need the newest parts either. Most older Xeon servers, corporations are no longer using will work great for light gaming servers.

Are you sure it’s perhaps not better to rent a dedicated server? What internet connection do you have?