WinRAR Cracked - 14 year old Remote Code Execution flaw found

rcmaehl

Source:

Checkpoint

Ars Technica

Summary:

No, not a key crack, not like you to need one anyway, a RCE has been found within WINRAR that was unintentionally created over 14 years ago

Quotes/Excerpts:

WinRAR, a...program with 500 million users..., recently fixed a more than 14-year-old vulnerability that made it possible for attackers to execute malicious code when targets opened a booby-trapped file. The vulnerability was the result of...a third-party code library that hasn’t been updated since 2005. It possible for archive files to extract to a folder of the archive creator’s choosing rather than the folder chosen by the person using the program. Because the third-party library doesn’t make use of exploit mitigations such as address space layout randomization, there was little preventing exploits. The researchers wrote a proof-of-concept exploit that misrepresented the startup folder—“C:\C:C:..\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\some_file.exe” instead of “C:..\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\some_file.exe”—after discovering that a filter function in UNACEV2 library would convert it to the latter location. With that, they created an exploit that dropped code of their choice into the Windows startup, where it would be executed the next time Windows rebooted. In release notes published late last month, WinRAR officials said they patched the vulnerability

My thoughts:

As you start including other people's code, dlls, or executables in your program, it's generally a good idea to ensure you keep it up to date and consider replacing or removing it entirely after a period of time. I'm honestly not surprised quite a few programs lately have been found to have decades old security bugs due to other people's code or their implementation of it.

Obviously this could have all been avoided if you had just bought a license all those years ago! /s

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

11 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Source:

Checkpoint

Ars Technica

Summary:

No, not a key crack, not like you to need one anyway, a RCE has been found within WINRAR that was unintentionally created over 14 years ago

Quotes/Excerpts:

My thoughts:

As you start including other people's code, dlls, or executables in your program, it's generally a good idea to ensure you keep it up to date and consider replacing or removing it entirely after a period of time. I'm honestly not surprised quite a few programs lately have been found to have decades old security bugs due to other people's code or their implementation of it.

Obviously this could have all been avoided if you had just bought a license all those years ago! /s

14 yrs is 2 lifetimes on tech so bound to happen

What release version has the patch applied? The winrar website does not mention anything regarding this in any of the release notes and it appears 5.70 which has been out since the end of January is still the latest available.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

57 minutes ago, Hellion said:

What release version has the patch applied? The winrar website does not mention anything regarding this in any of the release notes and it appears 5.70 which has been out since the end of January is still the latest available.

5.70 beta 1

“Nadav Grossman from Check Point Software Technologies informed us about a security vulnerability in UNACEV2.DLL library.
Aforementioned vulnerability makes possible to create files in arbitrary folders inside or outside of destination folder 
when unpacking ACE archives. 

https://www.win-rar.com/whatsnew.html?&L=0

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

But you could be using 7zip instead.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

5 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

why do people use winrar over 7zip

Force of habit. I tend to install Winrar because it's the first one I used and first one I think of so it's my default. Just like Chrome is my default browser of choice despite Firefox or Opera being a thing.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

6 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

Nostalgia

GAMING PC CPU: AMD 3800X Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3600MHz/CL14  PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT MESHIFY 2 XL DARK TG Cooling: EK Velocity + D5 pump + 360mm rad + 280mm rad Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC35 II
WHAT MY GF INHERITED CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT H700 White

Whenever I see someone uploading something in a .rar, I can't help but think "why the fuck are you using this shit?" when there are just as good, if not better, completely free alternatives, like 7zip...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

7Zip saves lives.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

Whenever I see someone uploading something in a .rar, I can't help but think "why the fuck are you using this shit?" when there are just as good, if not better, completely free alternatives, like 7zip...

No kidding, or that usually now an individual can just use the built in tools in an OS.  I had no need of either WinRAR or 7Zip in years now.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

No kidding, or that usually now an individual can just use the built in tools in an OS.  I had no need of either WinRAR or 7Zip in years now.

Not that I used it recently, but the Windows built in support only seems to work on zip, whereas 7z works on pretty much any popular compression format over the years. Also 7zip's native format can give significantly better compression than zip.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 minutes ago, porina said:

Not that I used it recently, but the Windows built in support only seems to work on zip, whereas 7z works on pretty much any popular compression format over the years. Also 7zip's native format can give significantly better compression than zip.

I'm aware it only does zip.  Thankfully, .rar and 7z are two formats I rarely see in compression files I get now a days.  I tend to stick to .zip since the majority of big main OSes can natively unzip that.  Keeps me from having to install some unneccesary third party software on a relative's machine or end user's device.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I tend to only use winrar on those uncommon zip files that error out when using anything other than winrar.

Just an FYI for anyone that didn't know, but 7zip can create .rar files too, if you happen to prefer them for some reason. -

[edit] ^Ignore, I must have remembered wrongly yet again, lol

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Why people use anything else than 7zip? LZMA2 is the most advanced compression algorithm at the moment. It's second best right after ZPAQ, but with realistically usable speeds. ZPAQ saves few extra megabytes, but takes like 10x longer even on 12 thread "powerhouse". Imagine some poor soul using it on quad core... Not to mention 7z (LZMA2) is extractable by everyone and it's free for any kind of use legally. Giving it an edge over everything else.

RAR used to be the shit before LZMA though. But despite RAR5 update, it just doesn't have traction.

38 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

I'm aware it only does zip.  Thankfully, .rar and 7z are two formats I rarely see in compression files I get now a days.  I tend to stick to .zip since the majority of big main OSes can natively unzip that.  Keeps me from having to install some unneccesary third party software on a relative's machine or end user's device.

For sure, if compatibility is important (e.g. sending to other people I don't know well) then zip remains the safe choice.

Thinking about it more, I don't feel that the primary reason for a zip is necessarily compression any more. Often I see it as a way to group multiple files together for distribution. About the only time it provides a significant saving in file size is the transfer of extremely large text log files in my line of work, and they compress really well.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

14 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

Personally, I prefer the interface (that includes the context menu interface).  Plus, I bought a license so I may as well use it.

3 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Just an FYI for anyone that didn't know, but 7zip can create .rar files too, if you happen to prefer them for some reason.

True, though not RAR5 files, if I'm not mistaken.

7 hours ago, Ithanul said:

This should apply only on Linux desktop environments, I don't remember windows supporting 7-zip natively

4 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Personally, I prefer the interface (that includes the context menu interface).  Plus, I bought a license so I may as well use it.

True, though not RAR5 files, if I'm not mistaken.

Probably, don't know who would use those personally.. was just saying that in some cases people might not be aware of the ability to create certain filetypes, thinking only winrar could create .rar files maybe???

The ONLY time I use it is as I said when 7zip,peazip or other can't unpack the files and throws out an error.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I, for one, use WinRAR because I'm used to it, and it can access the contents of quite a handful of various kinds of compressed executables as well. Also, I haven't had any reason not to use WinRAR (and I still don't)

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

I tend to only use winrar on those uncommon zip files that error out when using anything other than winrar.

Just an FYI for anyone that didn't know, but 7zip can create .rar files too, if you happen to prefer them for some reason.

It doesn't handle encrypted rars well for me, or allow me to make them. That's the only reason I use winrar, in fact I find 7zip can often handle broken/partial files, even encrypted ones on the extraction side, much better. I'm not aware of it being able to create rars though, last time I checked it didn't because the license doesn't allow that? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

4 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

It doesn't handle encrypted rars well for me, or allow me to make them. That's the only reason I use winrar, in fact I find 7zip can often handle broken/partial files, even encrypted ones on the extraction side, much better. I'm not aware of it being able to create rars though, last time I checked it didn't because the license doesn't allow that? 

Wow, just wow... my mind must be playing tricks on me again.. I could've sworn that I used to be able to create .rar files on that program.. apologies folks, my shit memory strikes again!

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini