Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
funrelax

Over the Air Antennae in Big Cities

39 minutes ago, funrelax said:

Would tall buildings around your house affect the antenna reception drastically or would it be fine?

you will probably be fine, just buy a decent antenna from a place where you can return it if it does not work well for you.

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am moving into a big city soon and the cable TV options are all really expensive. I am considering buying an over the air antenna and only getting local channels because that is all I really want anyway. I am considering an indoor antenna that I could put on my window. An outdoor antenna isn't really an option because I will live in an apartment building. However, the city I am moving into, New York, has a TON of tall buildings all around the city and I was wondering if an antenna would even work or work well. Would tall buildings around your house affect the antenna reception drastically or would it be fine?

Posted · Best Answer
39 minutes ago, funrelax said:

Would tall buildings around your house affect the antenna reception drastically or would it be fine?

you will probably be fine, just buy a decent antenna from a place where you can return it if it does not work well for you.

On 2/20/2019 at 9:08 PM, Teddy07 said:

I can not speak for the USA but some homeowners in my country do not allow an antenna. You might keep that in mind. 

Under US Federal law, land lords cant stop people from using antennas. This is regulated by the FCC. 

You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants. 

Deleted by poster.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

3 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

You need to read these links. Under certain conditions, landlords and HOAs can restrict or regulate antennas.

Yeah for Outdoor use, but inside use generally are not regulated as you dont have to make changes to the property. Also what I read on the FCC website is clear. Land lords can make provision about not fucking up the property but they cant stop you from installing a reasonable sized antenna. As long as its an "exclusive" area that only the tenant uses then they cant really say shit. 

"

What kinds of restrictions are prohibited?

Restrictions that prevent or delay installation, maintenance or use of antennas covered by the rule are prohibited. For example, in most cases, requirements to get approval before installing an antenna are prohibited.

Restrictions necessary to prevent damage to leased property are permissible, as long as the restrictions are reasonable. For example, a lease restriction that forbids tenants from damaging the balcony floor when installing an antenna is likely to be permissible.  

An association, landlord or local government may impose certain restrictions when safety is a concern or where a historic site is involved. An example of a permissible safety restriction would be requiring that an antenna is securely fastened down so that it will not be blown loose. Safety restrictions must be narrowly written so that they are no more burdensome than necessary to address a legitimate safety purpose.

If there is a conflict about a restriction’s validity, the association, landlord or local government trying to enforce the restriction must prove it is valid. This means that no matter who questions the validity of the restriction, the person or entity trying to enforce the restriction must prove that the rule is legitimate. "

Thats pretty clear to me. As for as HOA's go, they fucking break the law every day of the week. They are the scourge of society and should fuck off. HOA's have been known to boot cars on "City" streets, if its a public street they have no jurisdiction. 

You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants. 

Deleted by poster.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

DIY antenna. and will never go back to bought versions. 

running a cloths hanger antenna myself. 

nearest picture i can find that is what i have https://www.pinterest.com/pin/455215474816838770/

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/build-diy-hdtv-antenna/

the only time i have had to mess with antenna. was when i really, really.... really wanted to watch something that was on a tv station clear outside my normal area and had it move it for that.  overall i rarely have to move the antenna.  rain, is biggest issue for distances to far from me. 

==================

google "tv station locator" and should help you find local stations.