Is it worth the wait?

birdwarrior

I looking at getting the 9900k in my next build, that Im looking to complete around April... is it worth the wait to see how the next gen in ryzen does for that price range or does the up coming red product for that range of $500USD look like it will be better than the 9900k for gaming and streaming?

Absolutely wait. The parts you pick out now will be irrelevant by April in terms of price to performance.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

3 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Absolutely wait. The parts you pick out now will be irrelevant by April in terms of price to performance.

So the New AMD Ryzen processors will out beat the 9900k? @suchamoneypit

7 minutes ago, birdwarrior said:

If it's more than 8 cores it will beat it at most multi core tasks. It's still unknown whether or not AMD will be able to match its single thread performance, although their testing at CES proved likely. I'm very optimistic about the new 8 core Ryzen at least matching the 9900k in most tasks and gaming (might even beat it). We very well may be getting up to 16 cores, 12 is practically guaranteed. That means the 9900k wouldn't stand a chance in multitasking or multi threaded work loads.

I would definitely wait, I believe good things are coming. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Just now, ChewToy! said:

If it's more than 8 cores it will beat it at most multi core tasks. It's still unknown whether or not AMD will be able to match its single thread performance, although their testing at CES proved likely. I'm very optimistic about the new 8 core Ryzen at least matching the 9900k in most tasks and gaming. We very well may be getting up to 16 cores, 12 is practically guaranteed. That means the 9900k wouldn't stand a chance in multitasking or multi threaded work loads.

I would definitely wait, I believe good things are coming. 

or okay, then I might as well just wait if that's the case... because this is what I was thinking about getting... They are thinking it will come out in July right? 

5 hours ago, birdwarrior said:

It will very likely beat the 9900k by quite a bit, especially if its gonna have 12 or 16 cores. Leaks showed 16 cores and 32 threads at $500 and the recent demo showed equal single-thread performance, meaning if thats true it would absolutely destroy a 9900k. But thats just rumors, not confirmed! But not even accounting for Ryzen 3, prices of hardware changes all the time as they get older and new stuff comes out. By the time you go to build it, the pricing will change and this could influence your decision heavily. A good deal now might not be in April.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

2 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

It will very likely beat the 9900k by quite a bit, especially if its gonna have 12 or 16 cores. Leaks showed 16 cores and 32 threads at $500 and the recent demo showed equal single-thread performance, meaning if thats true it would absolutely destroy a 9900k. But thats just rumors, not confirmed! But not even accounting for Ryzen 3, prices of hardware changes all the time as they get older and new stuff comes out. By the time you go to build it, the pricing will change and this could influence your decision heavily. A good deal now might not be in April.

gotcha, do we know when 3000 series will be out?

gotcha, do we know when 3000 series will be out?

Likely at Computex which starts May 28th I believe. We'll probably get more details the closer it gets. There is no confirmed date.

Just now, suchamoneypit said:

Likely at Computex which starts May 28th I believe. We'll probably get more details the closer it gets. There is no confirmed date.

oh okay thank you, I didn't know if there was a rumored date yet.

oh okay thank you, I didn't know if there was a rumored date yet.

Computex 2019 is the rumored date :)

Just now, suchamoneypit said:

Computex 2019 is the rumored date :)

thanks mate