Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ekibiogami

Random BSOD

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

My new computer's fans were driving me nuts (Uncontrolled RGB vomit). So I replaced them, easy enough. Now I'm in a Random BSOD loop.

 

3 key points I can think of when I was working on the system.

1 That day (Cant remeber when) there was a Windows update and i had it install. While installing the fans I rebooted the PC, might have messed that up.

2 While installing the fans, I performed a test boot. While booting my Case controls would not allow me to power the pc off. (Press and hold power button)

After that I noticed that aside from the 24? pin power adapter the 8 pin power for the Mother board was not plugged in.

3 while installing the fans I needed to remove the 2080 TI. Case was vertical when I removed it and the card is heavy, I might have damaged the PCI slot??

 

Steps Ive taken so far,

1 Google said that lots of random messages for BSOD was likely a bad driver. I have formatted the OS drive and reinstalled windows. No Luck, BSOD are the same after format.

2 Pulled my video card to try and make sure i didn't hurt it with all the rebooting and stuff. Plugged my monitor into the Motherboards HDMI spot. It would not send a signal to my PC.

3 Reinstalled the video card, and tried removing half the ram. it would not boot, flipped the chips and the same result. Bios still shows all sticks in working order after reinstalling all chips.

4 ran the memory tester. after 3 days of running it crashed again, my brother did say it was still reporting no errors found.

Yes i tried plugging back in the original fans just to be safe, no change.

 

Specs

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7GHz (4.3 GHz Max Boost)
Motherboard: X470 GAMING Motherboard with SLI Capability
Video Card: NVidia RTX 2080 TI 11GB Graphic Card (Brand varies)
Memory: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 3200mhz
Power Supply: 750 Watt 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply
SSD: SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe SSD
Secondary HDD: 2TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
Liquid Cool: 360mm AIO Liquid Cool
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Case: Thermaltake P3 Black with Open Frame Panoramic Viewing Design.

Added a 1 TB Samsung Evo m.2 drive as well.

 

 

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated. Im out of state, but hopefully ill be back in town in a few days.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like motherboard to me.  Have you tried clearing CMOS or updating BIOS?  It is strange that you couldn't get to POST with half of the RAM and it also strange that your onboard video didn't work.


AMD 2600x | 16gb Trident Z RGB | Asus ROG Strix B450F | Samsung 860 Evo 1tb | Phanteks P400 | Asus GTX 1060 DUAL

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
15 hours ago, FrostyRob said:

Sounds like motherboard to me.  Have you tried clearing CMOS or updating BIOS?  It is strange that you couldn't get to POST with half of the RAM and it also strange that your onboard video didn't work.

No not yet, ill try it when i get back. Thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a job for the AMD Cleanup utility. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

I had a similar problem, right after trying to OC a GTX 1070 (strix) on a Ryzen 5 1400 system with a B250 pc mate (msi) board.

The trick is getting into your system to run the utility. I have to be quick on the startup to get into safe mode (SSDs lol) but I could "run as administrator"

After that the system would be clean of "gremlins" and you can go about installing the RTX drivers and enjoy. Just don't OC the GPU, or allow the system to try to OC the GPU.

Just a note, this happend when I tried to OC the CPU by itself as well. (It seems AMD will tolerate Nvidia, but not to the point of OC. - lol - I miean c'mon they actaully have a utility for this.., it's sooo funny really) If this turns out to be your issue as well. Good luck.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Warelf said:

Sounds like a job for the AMD Cleanup utility. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

I had a similar problem, right after trying to OC a GTX 1070 (strix) on a Ryzen 5 1400 system with a B250 pc mate (msi) board.

The trick is getting into your system to run the utility. I have to be quick on the startup to get into safe mode (SSDs lol) but I could "run as administrator"

After that the system would be clean of "gremlins" and you can go about installing the RTX drivers and enjoy. Just don't OC the GPU, or allow the system to try to OC the GPU.

Just a note, this happend when I tried to OC the CPU by itself as well. (It seems AMD will tolerate Nvidia, but not to the point of OC. - lol - I miean c'mon they actaully have a utility for this.., it's sooo funny really) If this turns out to be your issue as well. Good luck.

 

 

While I see where you're going with this he did not mention at all that overclocking was going on.  He simply mentioned installing new fans and having to remove the GPU.  As long as the computer was off when any changes were made this should not require the use of the AMD cleanup utility.  I would be more inclined to think that it is either a boot disk problem, or motherboard problem.  Considering he mentioned it has a fresh install of windows I highly doubt this is a windows problem.  I am still inclined to suspect the motherboard due to the onboard video not working and it not getting to POST with less ram installed.  


AMD 2600x | 16gb Trident Z RGB | Asus ROG Strix B450F | Samsung 860 Evo 1tb | Phanteks P400 | Asus GTX 1060 DUAL

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
16 hours ago, FrostyRob said:

While I see where you're going with this he did not mention at all that overclocking was going on.  He simply mentioned installing new fans and having to remove the GPU.  As long as the computer was off when any changes were made this should not require the use of the AMD cleanup utility.  I would be more inclined to think that it is either a boot disk problem, or motherboard problem.  Considering he mentioned it has a fresh install of windows I highly doubt this is a windows problem.  I am still inclined to suspect the motherboard due to the onboard video not working and it not getting to POST with less ram installed.  

No overclocking yet. Was planning on it, but I wanted to get the system set up the way I wanted it. Ill try taking the boot drive out and installing it on the secondary HD when I can, thx for the idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I never got to the actual OC part, just installed the AMD utility (somtimes bundles with drivers) because I never manually OC 1st up on a new build.

All I'm trying to say that  - if it works and then it doesn't, then most of the times it's a simple (but not so simple) driver conflict. Drivers conflicts can cause

error messages and behaviour of hardware malfunction, and AMD (think of catalyst control center) has a knack for embedding themselves deep in the system.

But I hear ya.. RMA / replace the board, but no damage should come from not being plugged in, the bios will flag that immediately. That being said your PSU might also have 1 loose pin/wire frim the 8. Depending on the quality and age of your PSU. Just keep in mind that you can damage an onboard display connector and still have a working motherboard. PLUS dimms and pci slots are some of the less fragile parts of the board so to speak. Try the utility, it might save you some cash and time, when you tried all else of course. Good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Finally back home. Removed the HD that windows was on. Nope.

Went to the store and picked up a new Motherboard. Nope.

The last 4 BSOD errors I saw all were different, but they all said to run the windows memory test, might be the ram. will try pulling and checking those one at a time.

Just worried its the RTX 2080 TI... Q.Q

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×