Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PrinceNorris

A message to the past

Posted · Original PosterOP

If you could go back in time, to any period in human history (as far as technology goes obviously), what would you tell to someone or/and what would you do that could save some tech project you loved, make it better, or advise someone to abandon it.

Something that could change the way someone or some company works today.

A groundbreaking move that would change the history for better or for worse. You can choose any period, anyone, anything.

Knowing so much these days about the past of technology, all the mistakes and product flaws. Imagine you could change that by doing only one thing.

I would advise, maybe even forced, the IEEE association and, in the process, every manufacturer of any networking device to use a more consumer friendly naming for different technologies used in this category. They thought about it now with all the "WIFI + number thing", but in the past, someone without any experience in computers had a hard time deciding what to choose simply because they didn't know what "802.xx + all additional letters" meant for them. I understand that they are a standard and all have to look very serious but just a little help for the consumer wouldn't hurt anyone and only help.

There are lots of things that I would change in the past but this is the one I chose since I've had some issues with customers complaining about those things.

I'm looking forward to hear your ideas.

Making Internet a better place.

Completely skip the hard drive era 

I might not know what I'm talking about but I'm gonna say it anyways

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig: Gigabyte Aero 15W v8-BK4 15"

CPU: Intel i7 8750-H 6-core

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4 2666 mHz

Storage: 512 m.2 nvme ssd

GPU: GTX 1060 6gb

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry Mx Silent

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB, Steelseries Rival 600 

Headset: Philips SHP 9500

Dac/Amp: Peachtree Shift Portable

Windows mobile and how it was handled... 

Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.

~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My Phones are a Nokia Lumia 925 with WM10 and a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with WM10 running the Fast Ring insider updates. Broke :(

Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I'd start off by going to younger versions of me and yelling "DON'T FUCKIN KILL THAT," and then go back to when my grandpa passed to make sure my mom's family couldn't pawn off his shit that actually had useful stuff in (yes, in) them.

Laptop: Latitude E4310 w/ i5 580M, 8GB RAM, 120GB 840 EVO, Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 wireless card, Windows 7 Pro x64

Main PC: sleeper Dell on profile boi

Zeus: 2x 1266MHz PIII, Supermicro P3TDDE, 1x 512MB PC133 ECC, Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, 30GB DiamondMax Plus 8 + 80GB IBM DeskStar, Windows XP Pro SP3

On 2/26/2019 at 2:37 AM, campy said:

when my girlfriend comes over and sees my dining room and kitchen counters covered in pc parts from pre 2006 she immediately takes off her clothes

nothing sexual, she just doesnt want the nerd dust on her clothes 

Bankrupt Apple 

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Finances - Invest into AMD at their all-time LOW.

Also... Start Mining Crypto 10 years ago... Or prior, before it was cool.

Hardware - Skip my AMD FX build.

Tech Life Regrets - More photos of loved ones.

Very selfish but meh.. Its 630am, running on fumes.

Peace be with you all and your choices.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Honestly the only thing I'd care sending myself back in the past would be the lottery numbers :P

That or to start BitCoin mining on release day.

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @4.8ghz  |~| Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3200mhz CL16 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti  |~| PSU: Corsair RM850X 80Plus Gold |~| Boot: WD Black M.2 2280 500GB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: EVGA Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk SSD Plus G26 480gb |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display Setup: Acer X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
4 hours ago, aezakmi said:

Bankrupt Apple 

4 hours ago, floofer said:

Invest in Apple for sure. 

lol

I might not know what I'm talking about but I'm gonna say it anyways

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig: Gigabyte Aero 15W v8-BK4 15"

CPU: Intel i7 8750-H 6-core

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4 2666 mHz

Storage: 512 m.2 nvme ssd

GPU: GTX 1060 6gb

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry Mx Silent

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB, Steelseries Rival 600 

Headset: Philips SHP 9500

Dac/Amp: Peachtree Shift Portable

This is a really good question. gotta think 

🤔

Current Build

Spoiler

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 2700x
  • Motherboard
    ASrock x470 Fatal1ty k4
  • RAM
    16GB
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black
  • Case
    Corsair 570x
  • Storage
    480gb SSD
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Smart M 650W 80+ Bronze
  • Display(s)
    27 inch Dell S2716DG
  • Cooling
    Wraith Prism
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 pro
  • Sound
    Beyerdynamic dt770
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

3 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

Go back and ensure everyone globally agrees on a standard mains plug that is safe and easy to use.

Now that. Is a good idea, but which is the best?

Current Build

Spoiler

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 2700x
  • Motherboard
    ASrock x470 Fatal1ty k4
  • RAM
    16GB
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black
  • Case
    Corsair 570x
  • Storage
    480gb SSD
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Smart M 650W 80+ Bronze
  • Display(s)
    27 inch Dell S2716DG
  • Cooling
    Wraith Prism
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 pro
  • Sound
    Beyerdynamic dt770
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

17 hours ago, aezakmi said:

Bankrupt Apple 

Damn, you really hate Apple, don't you?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: i7-950 OC'd to 3.96GHz @ 1.325V Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: XFX R7 370 4GB Storage: WD Blue 1tb and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S (MX Browns) Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headset:  Steelseries Arctis 5

lol why are you here, nobody is allowed to be here

I would invest into BitCoin before the big cryptocurrency boom, tell myself not to study economics and to get into programming instead, and I would buy AMD stocks during their bad FX era. :)

make sure Microsoft didn't get the monopoly in the PC space. 

DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! 

Have a look at my set up your linux gaming pc from start to finish topic if you want to get started with linux :) 

My laptop: MacBook Pro 13" Mid-2012: I5 3210M | HD4000 | 1TB SSD | 16GB RAM | macOS Mojave

tell people to buy Nvidia Shield, watch Pacific Rim 1 and ALITA Battle Angel in theaters.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Intel i7 4790K (4.0 GHz) | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1866 2x8GB | Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II OC | Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB | Corsair RM 850W | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM | Logitech® Wireless Combo MK330 | Cooler Master HAF XM | Dell S2240L 60Hz 21.5 IPS | 

PCPartPicker 

20 hours ago, PrinceNorris said:

buy as many shares of amazon as i could or start mining before bit coin exploded then take my new found riches and buy out a private island with everything i need to live out the rest of my life, or maybe go back in time and find a way to own lmg ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

20 hours ago, PrinceNorris said:

They thought about it now with all the "WIFI + number thing", but in the past, someone without any experience in computers had a hard time deciding what to choose simply because they didn't know what "802.xx + all additional letters" meant for them.

Because a quick Google search is sooooo difficult...

I'd show Oppenheimer pictures of Hiroshima and the video of his "I am become death" speech...

<Make me a sandwich.> <No! Make it yourself!> <Sudo make me a sandwich.> <FINE.> What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D  CoC F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

I'd go back about a week and give myself this 

image.png.912451fc9b92f1a4ea4b88dff3a0779e.png

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

21 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Finances - Invest into AMD at their all-time LOW.

Also... Start Mining Crypto 10 years ago... Or prior, before it was cool.

Hardware - Skip my AMD FX build.

Tech Life Regrets - More photos of loved ones.

Very selfish but meh.. Its 630am, running on fumes.

Peace be with you all and your choices.

To add to this- I'm shocked more people dont print pictures of the people in their lives.

|::::xxxxxx| 
|::::xxxxxx| 
|xxxxxxxxxx|

Keep making transparent power supplies with male to male non proprietary cables.

IMG_3328.JPG

Pro tip, before you reply to an question or topic, answer these three questions:

1) Do I actually have an answer for OP at all?

2) Am I giving an answer that is based in multiple reliable source tests and not personal opinion or heresay?

3) Is my answer on topic, clear and concise?

If you answered "no" to any of those, close the tab.

Do not give people information you personally think is correct. Source, research and then reply. If you plain and simple don't know what you're talking about, don't talk about it. It's harmful to support questions on forums to be providing people with wrong or misleading information. As well as going off topic from the original question.

i.e. "What B360 motherboard should I buy?"

>someone replies with a PC partpicker list with a ryzen system

Not what was asked.

Spend a lot more time educating people/lobbying for laws concerning fraud and false advertising on the internet regarding poor information and somehow try to avoid this shit state we're in where everyone thinks they know the truth because they read it on the fucking internet.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.