Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
floofer

Trump's Artificial Intelligence Order to Progress "AI Race"

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

Trump's artificial intelligence executive order will ensure America doesn't lose the AI race to China

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/trumps-artificial-intelligence-executive-order-will-ensure-america-doesnt-lose-the-ai-race-to-china?fbclid=IwAR0uqnw4UO-6G6u4iqQUHNyyeKBZrWjr2BP6t-ifMi-zvxH-qQUoWVjkvyI

“In July 2017, [China] unveiled a plan to become the world leader in AI aiming to create an industry worth $150 billion to its economy by 2030, and two Chinese cities promised to invest $7 billion in the effort,” The New York Times recently reported.

The U.S., on the other hand, has largely relied on private corporations to advance research into AI. But this model has come into question recently as numerous Big Tech companies, such as Google, have refused to work on AI technologies that could have beneficial military applications.

Probably for good reason. Few days ago the OpenAI or whatnot was considered too dangerous. 

The president’s new executive order serves as a direct response to China’s initiative by instructing the federal government to prioritize research and development of America’s own artificial intelligence capabilities.

“Continued American leadership in artificial intelligence is of paramount importance to maintaining the economic and national security of the United States,” President Trump rightly noted while signing the order.

According to the White House, the new initiative will give AI researchers more resources for innovation, encourage evolving applications of AI, and protect “critical AI technology” from foreign entities.

In addition, the executive order will direct federal agencies to help U.S. workers develop AI-related skills and promote educational programs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).

Have to say this Fox site is pretty awful, but the main point is that Trump signed on this executive order (rightly so). I'm not so sure the US is actually that far behind compared to China, however there would be a strong reluctance to have their advanced AI control military equipment, not just from politicians, but the general public. If this stuff goes wrong it's not too far to 2025 when the Terminators take-over. Call me a tin-foil hat person if you like, I believe we already have the capability to use people to control the equipment - so why not provide employment and common sense?

Edited by floofer
Title was too large for mobile users.

next thing you know, i'm gonna have to go back in time again to protect sarah connor 🙄

Accessible healthcare > missile that can now guide itself towards civilians 

If I'm honest I spend more time playing with the hardware than I do playing on the hardware

-Rig Specs in Profile

Get ready bois, prepare your arse for the government AI surveillance is incoming, if you think China social credit is bad you havent seen nothing yet.

Also EU is headed the same place if it doesnt disband faster, i dont need to worry about my corrupt government cause they cant get a bloody website up and working, a highway or bridge built let alone AI "arms race" and surveillance.

AI can be dangerous, but seeing as how much YouTube's community guidelines and copyright infringement AI has f**ked up lately (for example), we need to make it better.

I like this move by Trump.  Letting other countries advance AI technologies without meaningfully doing it ourselves is a threat to national security.  AI will become truthfully intelligent before it becomes sentient, and so we need to be prepared for the former first.

I have a G7 and it's DELLicious!!!

| #HuaweiSucks | #MacsAreGoodComputersToo |

Meet Hex, my hexacore laptop!

i7-8750H  (6c/12t)
GTX 1060 Max-Q 6GB

16GB DDR4-2666

256GB Toshiba M.2 SATA (boot)

1TB 860 EVO SATA III (storage)

1080p IPS 60Hz display

also in use...

Logitech G603 wireless gaming mouse

Corsair HS70 wireless gaming headset

Other tech: Product(RED) Apple iPhone XR 256GB, Logitech G203 Prodigy, Cooler Master Devastator II (just the keyboard), Sennheiser HD4.40BT, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra

I, for one, welcome our new silicon overlords! 

CPU: i7-4790k MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Gene RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 w/ Noctua NF-A14s 

GPU: Asus Strix GTX-980 Case: Corsair 350D PSU: Corsair AX-760i Storage: 2 x 500GB Evo RAID 0 + 2 x 2TB WD Green's in RAID 1 

So why are we in a rush for AI again? Shit's scary when you really think about it. It's like we're eager to obsolete ourselves.

Current Rig

i7 2600k @ 4.7ghz 1.4v - EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 @ 1500mhz - 16GB Hyper x Fury 1866 - Asus p8z77-v lk (1$) - 250GB SSD - 2x1TB HDD storage - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

FX 8320 Rig

FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz - EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB - 16GB RAM - 250GB SSD - CM 212 EVO - Asus M5A97 R2.0 - EVGA 500w Bronze - CM Elite 430 Black

Server 1: FX 6100 @ 3.8ghz - 12GB DDR3

Server 2 - q6700 @ 3.2ghz - 8GB DDR3

PFSense router: Core 2 Duo @3.16ghz - 4GB DDR3 - 64GB SSD - 16 port tplink gigabit switch

Openmediavault: 4TB - 4GB DDR2 - q6600

The 5$ Laptop (Asus r510c) (+60$ worth of upgrades)

Core i5 i5-3337U 1.8ghz (2.5ghz) - 240gb SSD - 320gb WD Black - 8GB DDR3 - Intel HD Graphics 4000

HTPC - Wolf In Sheep's Clothing (Crappy HP OEM SFF case and PSU from 2009)

AMD A8 6800k @4.2ghz - GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 - 8GB DDR3 - 250GB SP SSD - Some Asus FM2+ motherboard

Bedroom HTPC - The 939 Monster

AMD Athlon 64 x2 @ 2.8ghz - HD 3850 256mb - 4GB DDR400 - 80GB WD Blue IDE - SOCKET 939 BITCHES

Hmm Skynet again eh.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

6 hours ago, justpoet said:

Funny enough, HealthCare is one of the places AI is being used and researched the most.

Can confirm, I used AI in health related research.

We all know what happens when AI goes out of Control -> Skynet, since 1984/85 (depending on where you're from)...

Seems like that future might actually come true, somewhat...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

-= Locked =-

This would have made for a decent discussion but so many ready to ruin that.

We all know the rules.

Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My Phones are a Nokia Lumia 925 with WM10 and a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with WM10 running the Fast Ring insider updates. Broke :(

Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46

CHRISTIAN MEMBER