Not sure what to upgrade to!

Recker

Hey guys!

So i'm planning on upgrading my rig as i'm planning to get back into streaming and the games im playing currently my CPU just doesn't seem to have the power to do so :(. Games i'm playing currently are Apex Legends / BFV / Black ops 4 / Anthem (thanks to origin premier) just to name a few.

My rig currently is

i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz

z97x gaming 5 mobo

GTX 1080 EVGA SC

16gb DDR3 hyperX fury ram @ 1866mhz

EVGA Supernova 750W PSU

I'm not looking to upgrade the GPU now as i bought that 1080 a couple months ago previously had a 970.

I was looking at maybe going to a i7 8700k? but from what i've seen on userbenchmark and benchmarks on YouTube and such it doesn't look that much more powerful than my current CPU.

I'm not sure what to do!

Please help me decide on what to do!

1 minute ago, Recker said:

Hey guys!

So i'm planning on upgrading my rig as i'm planning to get back into streaming and the games im playing currently my CPU just doesn't seem to have the power to do so :(. Games i'm playing currently are Apex Legends / BFV / Black ops 4 / Anthem (thanks to origin premier) just to name a few.

My rig currently is

i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz

z97x gaming 5 mobo

GTX 1080 EVGA SC

16gb DDR3 hyperX fury ram @ 1866mhz

EVGA Supernova 750W PSU

I'm not looking to upgrade the GPU now as i bought that 1080 a couple months ago previously had a 970.

I was looking at maybe going to a i7 8700k? but from what i've seen on userbenchmark and benchmarks on YouTube and such it doesn't look that much more powerful than my current CPU.

I'm not sure what to do!

Please help me decide on what to do!

well if you really want to get an upgrade , what i would do if i were you is buy a x470 or b450 board and get a ryen 2600 or a cheaper ryzen chip and use it until ryzen 3000 comes out not to long from now, ryzen 3000 is looking like it will be very impressive and thats exactly what im doing rn with my situation 

I would probably wait for ryzen 3000 series first because current ryzen cpus are the best value for streaming setups and with better clocks they could very well close the distance in gaming performance. For streaming you want more than 4 cores for sure and 6 is the minimum I would go for streaming but the more the better especially if you are streaming games that are already very CPU intensive like BFV. 

6 minutes ago, Earnist_ said:

well if you really want to get an upgrade , what i would do if i were you is buy a x470 or b450 board and get a ryen 2600 or a cheaper ryzen chip and use it until ryzen 3000 comes out not to long from now, ryzen 3000 is looking like it will be very impressive and thats exactly what im doing rn with my situation 

No point in spending money on ryzen now if you are planning on getting ryzen 3000 series as it is not that far away at this point. They have a very capable system so changing to the 2600 isn't really worth it and waiting for the release and proper reviews is the better option. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

No point in spending money on ryzen now if you are planning on getting ryzen 3000 series as it is not that far away at this point. They have a very capable system so changing to the 2600 isn't really worth it and waiting for the release and proper reviews is the better option. 

then the best course of action is waiting for ryzen 3000 as it already was shown to be slightly more powerful than 9900k so it will be much faster than 8700k

I see two upgrade paths, with their own positives and negatives.

Intel

i7 9700k or i9 9900k 

+ these would give you more cores and or threads than you currently have or would get from the 8700k

+ best curent ipc leading to the best gaming experience

+ iGPU can be used to offload stream rendering

- most expensive consumer chips and motherboards

- no guarantee of future compatibility or ability to upgrade

- will require better cooling 

AMD

r7 2700 with potential for upgrade to 3000 series in the next 6 months 

+ similar core and thread count to new intel chips 

+ less expensive option 

+ upgrade path guaranteed on the am4 platform for at least one more year 

- reselling/replacing cpu in 6 months if you decide to upgrade

- currently lower ipc than intel and only one tech demo from AMD showing improved ipc

- will need to be more selective in ram choice (possibly more expensive than what could be used in an intel build)

honestly it comes down to a personal preference and willingness to base you current purchase on potential future upgrade vs wanting the best performance money can buy today.  

1 minute ago, Earnist_ said:

then the best course of action is waiting for ryzen 3000 as it already was shown to be slightly more powerful than 9900k so it will be much faster than 8700k

Its definitely looking pretty good but I will reserve judgment until after proper reviews are released. 

17 minutes ago, Recker said:

but from what i've seen on userbenchmark and benchmarks on YouTube and such it doesn't look that much more powerful than my current CPU.

Good, comprehensive benchmarks are not really so easily available in an apples to apples comparison of these two CPUs specifically. The 8700k has 6 cores so it would fare a ton better for streaming.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad