MSI Afterburner & Rivatuner Statistics Server not working

Hi everyone!

I will do my best with english since it's not my first language and will be thankful for your time and any replies I will be getting.

So I have been using MSI Afterburner and rivatuner statistics server (RTSS) for a while on my desktop computer with no issues at all.

I recently tried to use these programs on my Dell XPS 15 and the RTSS just won't show up.

Laptop details:

Laptop - Dell XPS 15 Model 9550

Windows 10 home - Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.316)

Processor: intel i5-6300HQ 2.3GHz

Display adapters: Intel HD graphics 530 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

MSI Afterburner works fine and I can see the graphs for the specs I'm interested in (GPU and CPU load and temperature) and the graphs are working without issues. It's also worth mentioning that I did select the option to show OSD for each spec I want to appear in the OSD and the I did map a hotkey to toggle the OSD. Basically these settings work great for me on my desktop but when I tried on the laptop... in a game the OSD just never shows up even with the toggle hotkey.

i gave it a try in multiple Steam games and in Overwatch and the OSD never works. I also took the time to change some settings in RTSS following old threads suggestions and it did not work either. (all these suggested changes were not needed for the same games on my desktop. on the desktop it all worked without any issues off the bat.

I have taken the time to lookup this problems and I have not found any answers that worked for me.

Anyone has had this problem before? Any suggestions?

Thanks you for your time

I forgot to mention, I'm open to an alternative programme/app if its easier. all i want is real-time display of CPU/GPU load and temp. FPS is a bonus

2 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

I use my amd/nvida included software in their drivers.

| dont think it display what OP wants 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

10 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

I use my amd/nvida included software in their drivers.

6 minutes ago, Constantin said:

| dont think it display what OP wants 

thank you for your replies,

I have indeed used the GeForce Experience Software but, to my knowledge, it can only display the FPS.

19 minutes ago, Sandwich1991 said:

thank you for your replies,

I have indeed used the GeForce Experience Software but, to my knowledge, it can only display the FPS.

:shurg:

on my laptop, I use afterburner, but on my AMD desktop, the overlay has temps and stuff too.

double post

Edited by Sandwich1991
forgot to link the reply

9 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

:shurg:

on my laptop, I use afterburner, but on my AMD desktop, the overlay has temps and stuff too.

if I understand my problem correctly, I'm not having issues with MSI AB, its more that the OSD, which is controlled/generated by RTSS, wont show up.

Rivatuner Statistics Server might be the issue in my case. Does that make any sense?

Weird but same deal....Nothing showing up..WTF..

TODAY I had to go into RTSS and RE-ENABLE the SHOW Onscreen Display Option...

Was not enabled, yet always has been, I never change this shit...

Untitled.png

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Weird but same deal....Nothing showing up..WTF..

TODAY I had to go into RTSS and RE-ENABLE the SHOW Onscreen Display Option...

Was not enabled, yet always has been, I never change this shit...

Untitled.png

from what i can see, your On-Screen Display toggle hotkey in MSI Afterburner is ''Num -'' and hitting this key will therefore turn on or off the ''Show On-Screen Display'' in RTSS. to be sure you can simply open both programs and hit the toggle hotkey and you will see it go back and forth.

In my case its not helping to toggle it on/off, but i hope my comment helped you.

13 minutes ago, Sandwich1991 said:

from what i can see, your On-Screen Display toggle hotkey in MSI Afterburner is ''Num -'' and hitting this key will therefore turn on or off the ''Show On-Screen Display'' in RTSS. to be sure you can simply open both programs and hit the toggle hotkey and you will see it go back and forth.

In my case its not helping to toggle it on/off, but i hope my comment helped you.

lol I didn't even realize and thats likely why mine changed... (I will change that now, didn't even notice)

Many thanks. I hope you find the solution to your issue in quick fashion.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

For anyone with similar issues, I started using Logitech Arx Control as a way to get the CPU/GPU temp and loads while gaming. I'm still interested in finding a solution for RTSS.