dell optiplex 780 needs some care

im a dell optiplex 780 mt user, not the best choice in 2019 but you gotta work with what you got, iv been noticing now that after upgrading it from vista, to 7, and then to 10 its been pretty stable, problem is, when i try to open pages with alot of content or i try to watch a 720p or above video my processor maxes out and then it lags or freezes, my cpu is a intel pentium 4 wolfdale and my dual monitors are hooked up to default integrated graphics, with 10gb of ram. any tips to improve performance  or at least meet mid end modern pc standards? thanks

Your first step is not having a Pentium 4.

The Core 2 Duo E8600 should be 2x faster and if you can get a heatsink that works with it, you can get a Core 2 Quad Q9650 which is nearly 3x faster.

Plus you can pair it with a GT 1030 for some light gaming

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

2 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Your first step is not having a Pentium 4.

The Core 2 Duo E8600 should be 2x faster and if you can get a heatsink that works with it, you can get a Core 2 Quad Q9650 which is nearly 3x faster.

Plus you can pair it with a GT 1030 for some light gaming

Yep this is what i was going to say! 

PC Set up 

CPU: I9-9900k

Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro-Wifi

GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gamin Z 

Cooling: Cooler Master ML360R AIO

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16 GB 3000MHZ (8GB X 2) 

RAM: Corsair Vengence Pro Lighting Enhancement Kit (0GB X 2) 

Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 

PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750 W 80+ Gold Fully Modular 

Case: CoolerMaster MB511 RGB 

Build Log found here:

5 minutes ago, just that pc guy said:

im a dell optiplex 780 mt user, not the best choice in 2019 but you gotta work with what you got, iv been noticing now that after upgrading it from vista, to 7, and then to 10 its been pretty stable, problem is, when i try to open pages with alot of content or i try to watch a 720p or above video my processor maxes out and then it lags or freezes, my cpu is a intel pentium 4 wolfdale and my dual monitors are hooked up to default integrated graphics, with 10gb of ram. any tips to improve performance  or at least meet mid end modern pc standards? thanks

Step one is to not run a P4 in a computer designed for high-end Core 2s. Pick up a Q6600 for $10 or so on eBay, then use the tape mod trick to run it at 3.0GHz. Step two would be to add in a simple cheapie card like a 6450, 7470, 7570 or GT 210. Something really basic that gives your performance a boost and has zero gaming potential (to keep costs low). HD 7470s are perfect for the job and cost very little. Step three is that wacky RAM configuration. Optiplexes can be picky about their RAM. If steps one and two don't help, you might want to adjust the RAM so it's a matched set of 8GB or 16GB instead of running what I'm assuming is 4+4+2+0.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

As others have already said on here, the optiplex 780 still has a lot to offer. Honestly it makes me sad hearing there's a poor 780 being held back by a p4 out there. Upgrade it to a q6600! It'll be perfectly usable in 2019.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer