Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KeyzHostHD

Dedicated Video RAM

Don't worry about it. Generally you'd aim to keep within the on-card ram anyway for best performance. If you start using system ram it will have a performance impact, and on low ram systems it will also take it away from anything else using it and may further impact also.

on what? a gpu?

buying a new one is the easiest option

PSU Tier List//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs//Before troubleshoot//Mark Solved//Off Topic//Community standards

Don't forget to quote or mention me

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @4.5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3360 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung ECOGREEN   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB   Screen: Salora 40LED1500

Secondary PC: Cedar mill

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Soundcard: built in   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

Server: CookieVault

Spoiler

CPU: core2dual E8400   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 2+1+1+1 gb 1333 mhz ddr3   MOBO: HP Q series   HDD: 4x 1tb 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint Ecogreen   Soundcard: built in   Case: Compaq 6000 pro mt   Screen: Samsung SyncMaster710n

Laptop: Acer TravelMate 8573t

Spoiler

CPU: I3-2330M   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3   MOBO: Acer   SSD: 250 gb mx500 sata   Soundcard: built in   Case: Acer TravelMate 8573t   Screen: TN 768p

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

9 minutes ago, KeyzHostHD said:

Hi I Just Want Quick Help How Much Do You Think I Can Increase The Ram , And How ? , And What Are The Consequences

Captuwdaadawwddware.PNG.ff0041986d2eabf882449a2cd03a8ba9.PNG

Picture is not showing.

CPU:i7 9700k, Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC, Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, SSD mushkin chronos 120GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB, PSU:Corsair CS 650 M Gold, Display(s): LG 27UK600-W HDR10 4K, Samsung P2470HD, , Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T, Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire, Mouse:Razer Naga Mouse 2014Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma, Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker

You can't change the dedicated video memory, you'd have to buy a new card with more. You could change the amount of shared system memory, but it's pretty pointless. Once you run out of dedicated video memory and start using system memory, performance will be crippled anyway.

Posted · Original PosterOP
20 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Can you upload the picture again?

15 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Picture is not showing.

check i updated

12 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

You can't change the dedicated video memory, you'd have to buy a new card with more. You could change the amount of shared system memory, but it's pretty pointless. Once you run out of dedicated video memory and start using system memory, performance will be crippled anyway.

23 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

on what? a gpu?

buying a new one is the easiest option

but wouldnt setiing it to 50/50 increase performace ?

you shouldn't change it... i would suggest you either buy a new gpu if you're not pleased with your performence, or just do nothing. 1 gigs or 10 gigs to the gpu, it won't be better

PSU Tier List//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs//Before troubleshoot//Mark Solved//Off Topic//Community standards

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @4.5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3360 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung ECOGREEN   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB   Screen: Salora 40LED1500

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Soundcard: built in   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

Spoiler

CPU: core2dual E8400   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 2+1+1+1 gb 1333 mhz ddr3   MOBO: HP Q series   HDD: 4x 1tb 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint Ecogreen   Soundcard: built in   Case: Compaq 6000 pro mt   Screen: Samsung SyncMaster710n

Spoiler

CPU: I3-2330M   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3   MOBO: Acer   SSD: 250 gb mx500 sata   Soundcard: built in   Case: Acer TravelMate 8573t   Screen: TN 768p

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

You can't really increase a graphics card's VRAM, except by sharing normal RAM with it (like Windows has done here, now you have 5GB of VRAM which is definitely enough).

RYZEN 5 1500X | 8GB DDR4 | RX 570 4GB | OPTANE SSD 8 58GB | 240GB SSD | CORSAIR 88R

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

You can't really increase a graphics card's VRAM, except by sharing normal RAM with it (like Windows has done here, now you have 5GB of VRAM which is definitely enough).

what are the consquences ? and how ? do i need to go into bios ?

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

you shouldn't change it... i would suggest you either buy a new gpu if you're not pleased with your performence, or just do nothing. 1 gigs or 10 gigs to the gpu, it won't be better

i am saving up for a extreme build , but in the mean time i want to enjoy some games

The video card has a fixed amount of memory on it. That memory is super fast.

The video card (through the driver) can also "borrow" a part of the computer ram to increase the total amount of memory but this kind of memory is several times slower... it's like the difference between a classic hard drive and a SSD. Whenever a game needs something that's not in the card's memory, it can quickly copy it from the ram into the video card and take something from the video card and move it into ram to make room for something else.

Basically, it swaps data as needed.

In most games, there's no benefit to increasing the amount of regular RAM to give the video card more memory, because if you have graphical settings set so high to make the game use all the video card memory on the card, the amount of data transferred from ram to video card and back would slow down the video card so much that it won't matter.

Basically, you want to change the game's video settings to lower the actual amount of memory used by the video game, and keep it as close as possible to the video card memory on the video card.

You have to think of that extra memory as something there to prevent games from crashing when they use all the memory available on the video card itself, you don't want to treat that memory as extra memory for the video card.

If you need a cheap new GPU, you can buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-GDDR5-DVI-D-Graphics/dp/B07MCDNQX2/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1550681836&sr=1-4&keywords=rx+570

It is a 99$ RX 570 4GB. It has about the same performance as a GTX 1060 6GB.

With VAT/shipping charges/etc., in Europe it costs roughly 129€ with priority 2-4 day shipping.

It has a TDP of 180W, which is quite high for a graphics card. Check with your power supply to see if you can make room for the graphics card.

You will need a DVI-D Dual Link cable (or converter if you don't have DVI-D Dual Link input on your monitor, you can buy a DVI-D Dual Link to HDMI converter for 7$ or 10€ extra).

There is only one output on the graphics card, so running multiple monitors will be harder than normal.

Please specify your country and power supply model, and I can give you an estimated price plus if your PSU needs to be upgraded or not.

RYZEN 5 1500X | 8GB DDR4 | RX 570 4GB | OPTANE SSD 8 58GB | 240GB SSD | CORSAIR 88R

Just now, KeyzHostHD said:

i am saving up for a extreme build , but in the mean time i want to enjoy some games

then just don't touch it

you won't see anything better with it, maybe even worse

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Consoles:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, KeyzHostHD said:

what are the consquences ? and how ? do i need to go into bios ?

You do not need to go into BIOS. However I wouldn't recommend adding shared RAM because it's pretty much useless and doesn't provide a performance increase compared to just buying a card with more VRAM.

Posted · Best Answer

Don't worry about it. Generally you'd aim to keep within the on-card ram anyway for best performance. If you start using system ram it will have a performance impact, and on low ram systems it will also take it away from anything else using it and may further impact also.

Main rig: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, G.Skill TridentZ 3000C14 2x8GB, Asus 1080 Ti Strix OC, Fractal Edison 550W PSU, Corsair 600C, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

Ryzen rig: Asrock B450 ITX, R5 2600, Noctua D9L, Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 2x4GB, Vega 56, Corsair CX450M, NZXT Manta, Crucial MX300 525GB, Acer RT280K

VR rig: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6600k stock, Silverstone TD03-E, Kingston Hyper-X 2666 2x8GB, Zotac 1070 FE, Corsair CX450M, Silverstone SG13, Samsung PM951 256GB, HTC Vive

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB SSD

Total CPU heating: i7-7800X, 2x i7-6700k, i7-6700HQ, i5-6600k, i5-5675C, i5-4570S, i3-8350k, i3-6100, i3-4360, 2x i3-4150T, E5-2683v3, 2x E5-2650, R7 1700, 1600

6 minutes ago, porina said:

6 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

You do not need to go into BIOS. However I wouldn't recommend adding shared RAM because it's pretty much useless and doesn't provide a performance increase compared to just buying a card with more VRAM.

7 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

then just don't touch it

you won't see anything better with it, maybe even worse

7 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

If you need a cheap new GPU, you can buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-GDDR5-DVI-D-Graphics/dp/B07MCDNQX2/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1550681836&sr=1-4&keywords=rx+570

It is a 99$ RX 570 4GB. It has about the same performance as a GTX 1060 6GB.

With VAT/shipping charges/etc., in Europe it costs roughly 129€ with priority 2-4 day shipping.

It has a TDP of 180W, which is quite high for a graphics card. Check with your power supply to see if you can make room for the graphics card.

You will need a DVI-D Dual Link cable (or converter if you don't have DVI-D Dual Link input on your monitor, you can buy a DVI-D Dual Link to HDMI converter for 7$ or 10€ extra).

There is only one output on the graphics card, so running multiple monitors will be harder than normal.

Please specify your country and power supply model, and I can give you an estimated price plus if your PSU needs to be upgraded or not.

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The video card has a fixed amount of memory on it. That memory is super fast.

The video card (through the driver) can also "borrow" a part of the computer ram to increase the total amount of memory but this kind of memory is several times slower... it's like the difference between a classic hard drive and a SSD. Whenever a game needs something that's not in the card's memory, it can quickly copy it from the ram into the video card and take something from the video card and move it into ram to make room for something else.

Basically, it swaps data as needed.

In most games, there's no benefit to increasing the amount of regular RAM to give the video card more memory, because if you have graphical settings set so high to make the game use all the video card memory on the card, the amount of data transferred from ram to video card and back would slow down the video card so much that it won't matter.

Basically, you want to change the game's video settings to lower the actual amount of memory used by the video game, and keep it as close as possible to the video card memory on the video card.

You have to think of that extra memory as something there to prevent games from crashing when they use all the memory available on the video card itself, you don't want to treat that memory as extra memory for the video card.

11 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

12 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

26 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

ok guys you've shown me i was a idiot for trying to do this so i've learnt my lesson , but is there any way to set a specific normal ram usage for different hardisk's
example : disk 1 - 1gb           disk 2 - 5gb

ok guys you've shown me i was a idiot for trying to do this so i've learnt my lesson , but is there any way to set a specific normal ram usage for different hardisk's

Why?

If you want games to use more RAM, not only will that configuration cause your OS to be extremely slow, not only will apps struggle a lot, but it's also pretty much impossible.

1 minute ago, KeyzHostHD said:

not really... it's a shared thing in the os

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Consoles:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Why?

If you want games to use more RAM, not only will that configuration cause your OS to be extremely slow, not only will apps struggle a lot, but it's also pretty much impossible.

i just want the disk where i have games, editing software , "Google" to have more reserved ram than other disks , so this is not usefull ?

4 minutes ago, KeyzHostHD said:

i just want the disk where i have games, editing software , "Google" to have more reserved ram than other disks , so this is not usefull ?

it will just be there for the whole system, it doesn't matter if you're on drive 1, 2 or 50

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Consoles:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

it will just be there for the whole system, it doesn't matter if you're on drive 1, 2 or 50

ahhh ok , then i guess this thread can be closed

ahhh ok , then i guess this thread can be closed

you don't have to lock it or everything, but there's a solve button, select the comment that helped you the most and it will be marked as solved

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Consoles:

Spoiler