Schools doing field trips to the...... Apple Store?!

GoodBytes

I thought this was about their education sessions, but this really does sound a bit ridiculous.

Then again, I‘d like to know what exactly they‘re officially doing in the scope of these field trips. I mean, this has to have been approved by someone, so I‘m assuming it would at the very least sound somewhat attractive on paper. 

While I can't speak to those specific "field trips", it was common back when I was working with Apple and their stores in the US to have such things when school classes would come in for "Day of Code" and similar, to learn how to do basic programming skills, or to get taught by the Creative for things like photo or video editing, or proper photography skills, often with video/photos brought in from the school and other projects, to be used to make a school project while there.  That's hardly nefarious, though it is natural for a child to then be interested in getting what they used to learn on/with if it was a good experience.

Those trips in the US were most commonly taken by the underprivileged school districts in the city areas I worked with, which would be much less likely to have much of their own equipment/software to allow every kid to work on a system at the same time, and was one of the only ways they had a good shot at learning any of those skills while in school.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

"Since your child knows that all the other students are going, it's hard to say no,"

Not really, all you gotta do is be a parent and take a simple decision, kids will be kids but you can't let them control you, modern societies are too permissive with kids that's why there are so many little spoiled fucks going around thinking they own everything, you can see this at stores, street, homes whose adults lack education above high school, etc

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Once people get into the apple ecosystem, its designed in a way to make is as difficult and hard as possible to leave it, you teach a kid that the best thing you can buy is an iphone and an Ipad, they will never think or look at anything else. At that age kids need to understand and appreciate the market as a whole, and the understanding of hardware/software that comes from figuring things out yourself is never there when everything given to you on a plate.

Its clear what the aim is, get kids into the apple ecosystem at a young age, and have customers for life that will never think to look for anything else.

5 hours ago, PopsicleHustler said:

This is ridiculous. Advertising overpriced crap to kids. Whats next? 

It isn't crap.  It is overpriced, though.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

Really, people seem to be blaming Apple, but who is really to blame here is the school / the teachers organizing these "field trips".

The school should have some principles and not allow their students to be subjected to advertising. If they want to learn about computers, take them on a field trip to the computer science dept of the nearest college/ university or something. Not this.

This is just. WEIRD

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

In my day we went to the abattoir and the local nature reserve to understand the importance of balancing nature with modern living needs.  It's no wonder the world is heading down an entitlement skewed path.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, NineEyeRon said:

Image result for box factory

That is actually better, as you actually learn how boxes are made. A field trip to a big company facility is fine (assuming they teach how product are made, the engineering aspects of it, teach how the R&D is made, prototyping, etc. like what you see from these "How it's made" videos, but more in-depth or more in-depth factory tours that some YouTubers gets to go). That is interesting.

Going at a STORE, where all you have are sales people, essentially. Where the students basically does a small workshop just to say it is educational, and pushed to buy their products (and who knows what crap is being said to the kids), is another problem. Having kids returning home and instead of talking about technology or anything on the many fields and facets of engineering, instead talk about why they don't have iPads or iMacs at home, and how they should get one... is a huge difference.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

In my day we went to the abattoir and the local nature reserve to understand the importance of balancing nature with modern living needs.  It's no wonder the world is heading down an entitlement skewed path.  

Balance? That reeks of personal responsibility, ergo FACISM REEEEEE.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, maartendc said:

Really, people seem to be blaming Apple, but who is really to blame here is the school / the teachers organizing these "field trips".

The school should have some principles and not allow their students to be subjected to advertising. If they want to learn about computers, take them on a field trip to the computer science dept of the nearest college/ university or something. Not this.

The parents are feed the same crap that the school got feed too from Apple in planning trip. It is easy to convince people that don't know much.

So you as a parent have the choice. Either you say No, and your 10 year old kid will either, at your choice, stay at home, meaning you'll need to get a baby sitter as both parents (usually) goes to work, or they are stuck alone in some classroom or library bored to death.

1 minute ago, Rune said:

I think a trip to stores like Rossmann's would be more...you know....educational.

Well, that is a repair shop. It falls under factories, hospitals, clinics, and so on, which is interesting.

If this happened in the US Id head straight to my states Capital building.  They would not think to use my State resources that I and my Countrymen provide.  I don't care if Apple pays for it.  This is exactly what is sounds like.  Advertising through our children.  

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Heard about this during my morning commute... Insane.

I hope the School boards get hit hard for this.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Field Trips to the Apple store, what is this a remedial class destined to end up Apple Geniuses! When I was a kid we went to the Zoo, the aquarium, a local theater.... I'm starting to think I was a child at the perfect time before everything went crazy.

I thought Apple didn't want themselves to be seen as scumbags...

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

This would never fly in western Canada. The province of Quebec sure is "special"...

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

My brother's school forced him to use only macbooks.

It sucks.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Wow, this thread has really formed a strong opinion on this topic, I guess I'll throw my response into the mix ...

Personally, I don't think this is newsworthy at all, the usual creating drama from something nothing type of thing. The article definitely downplays the educational aspect of the 'field trip' in favour of "Apple is exploiting the vulnerability and immaturity of children for their own economic benefit". Maybe they really are trying to indoctrinate our children, but maybe, just maybe, there is also some educational benefit to this:

In order to kill two birds with one stone, the teacher enrolled her students in workshops offered free in English by Apple in order to master the features of the tablet that are used in class, such as a word processor, Team, Notebook applications, etc.

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

why go to a boring church and learn about it's architecture, historical period, personalities involved in it's construction and art when you can go check the new iPad Pro and how cool artists use them

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I'd under if the children were taught about the history of Apples products. How they began and what made them who they are today, or maybe teach them how the products are made. Perhaps even show them the room where repairs are done.

But purely to brainwash the children into purchasing Apple products is messed up. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15