Schools doing field trips to the...... Apple Store?!

GoodBytes

Banned in France since last year, after hidden cameras from the news station of the name France 2 spark controversy in the country about "educative" field trip to the Apple store was done by several schools, only to have kids return back home starting to promote Apple product to their parents. It didn't stop the company to continue this program, and convince schools in many countries to do such filed trip to their store.

TVA Nouvelles, a French news program for the region of Quebec in Canada, reports (Translated):

The Dolivet family felt they were "taken hostage" when their 10-year-old daughter Lou returned from school last fall with a letter announcing that her class at Marguerite-Bourgeoys Elementary School in Montreal would be taking part in an outing at the Apple store.

"Since your child knows that all the other students are going, it's hard to say no," says cartoonist, who publishes under the name ElDiablo. The same situation had occurred in the previous spring with her other daughter, Paola, 11 years old.

"I don't see the educational side of these outings at all, unless it's to teach them how to claim Apple products," he says.

As in fact, his daughter asked him to buy an iPhone after the activity at the store. As for the visit, she allowed the kids to learn how to use the IPad tablets to take pictures, says Boris Dolivet.

This is also not the only case in the region.

It was discovered so far that the school of: Ste-Thérèse, l’École intégrée des Forges, l’École Maïmonide, and l’école Saint-Martin, all did field trips to the Apple Store.

Also, this kind of activity questions if the company is breaking the law in the region of Quebec. Where in the province of Quebec it is illegal to do target advertisement to kids that is younger than 13 years old. (In Canada there is a similar law, but that applies to TV and Radio broadcasters).

Source: https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2019/02/20/des-sorties-educatives-dans-des-magasins-apple-1

Source translated: https://www.translatetheweb.com/?from=&to=en&a=https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2019/02/20/des-sorties-educatives-dans-des-magasins-apple-1

Apple is also is part of the "Year of Engineering" governmental program in the U.K, where field trips to the Apple store was done on over 100 schools.

Apple announced its support for the Year of Engineering in April and during November will run almost 100 field trips across all 38 Apple stores in the UK to give young people the unique chance to meet and work with the creatives behind its ground-breaking innovations.

Source: UK Official Government website

What do you think of schools doing field trip at a store? Should other big box stores promote such activity? Should schools have field trip to the their local Best Buy, instead of being actually educational?

This is ridiculous. Advertising overpriced crap to kids. Whats next? 

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Simultaneously one of the scummiest things possible but also one of the cleverest too.

Gets the kids hooked for life and also they then go home and tell friends and family how great Apple are. I wouldn't be surprised if they started giving out free Apple products to them next. Just like your friendly neighborhood smack dealer, the first hit is free.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Im amazed the teacher was able to get the trip approved at all. the apple store has zero educational benefit.  in my district, the school board would have thrown a fit for wasting funds.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I think it'd be cool for them to, say, have field trips to Apple production plants or what not and have an actually educational thing. But instead it sounds like they're just trying to stroke their ego at impressionable young people at an apple store.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

How the hell do you even get through with idea about a field trip to any store? I could understand if it was some kind of marketing school but elementary schools are far from it.

Back in my day, when we went on field trips, we actually went to places that were actually exciting whilst also being educational at the same time, such at the time we went to a forest reserve.

I don't see what's so educational about going to the Apple Store anyway, especially since you can easily go into the store at any time of the week and it's easy to find one anyhow.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

54 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Gets the kids hooked for life and also they then go home and tell friends and family how great Apple are. I wouldn't be surprised if they started giving out free Apple products to them next. Just like your friendly neighborhood smack dealer, the first hit is free.

This is how MS and PC systems got the leg up very early on. Mac...well, Steve Jobs, decided Macs were for the art crowd, and the PC stuff was for boring business stuff...

but people bought what they knew and system were *very* expensive back then, so Dad bought a system for Johnny, based on what he used at work..hence the dominance of PCs that exist to this day.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I dont see a difference in this or any other store

but I do agree kids need to be closer to adult age for any trip like this

yes they will have a job or be going to one of these stores no matter what in the future

shows them how to be part of the system being employee/etc

Apple: Google and Facebook have no respect for their customers' personal lives and target teenagers with their evil advertisement campaigns!

Also Apple: *this*

That's why I'm skeptical of any seemingly positive statement they make, they're just a bunch of opportunistic hypocrites.

9 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

This is how MS and PC systems got the leg up very early on. Mac...well, Steve Jobs, decided Macs were for the art crowd, and the PC stuff was for boring business stuff...

but people bought what they knew and system were *very* expensive back then, so Dad bought a system for Johnny, based on what he used at work..hence the dominance of PCs that exist to this day.

Oh yes, this is exactly Microsoft's way of doing things. It's just particularly funny that Apple and some fans would act as if they were a step above MS when, at the end of the day, they just resort to the same tactics.

23 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

So that kids aspire to become Apple store 'geniuses'. buy Apple products

That's all they care about, "geniuses" are just disposable retail workers - they have no need to inspire anyone to become one.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Thaldor said:

How the hell do you even get through with idea about a field trip to any store? I could understand if it was some kind of marketing school but elementary schools are far from it.

Can't speak for now but i know way back there was no way in any imaginable number of hells this would get approved.

What's more sad is the people agreeing to be apart of this, no realizing that Apple is garbage for schools.

Their warranty and repair policies make it completely unworkable for any decently sized school system. The school would find itself quickly out of budget and with a crap ton of broken devices, with Apple saying "you can only buy replacements, the repair would be just as expensive.".

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I mean, this  is just my personal opinion but, I think I would much rather have my kids go on a field trip to IBM or Oracle. Businesses that have a huge effect in the industry but aren't really in the public light. Granted that's not exactly accessible for a lot of schools. I'm a bit curious what the schools reasoning for going was, and what educational benefit they saw fit.

There is absolutely no way the school district I went to would allow this. They are pretty strick with the school budget. I think the best field trip I got when I was in elementary school was to the zoo and we had to fill out a worksheet of questions about the various animals there. Probably the best thought my entire k through 12 was a trip to an amusement park for my physics class. We had to do physics calculations to answer things like velocity and acceleration on various point on a ride. 

It's probably no different to any other field trip, Apple has had a huge education department - you can get nice discounts if you are a student. What we have to consider is both the schools and Apple gave the go-ahead for this field trip, and the parents probably had to sign a permission slip.

6 minutes ago, floofer said:

It's probably no different to any other field trip, Apple has had a huge education department - you can get nice discounts if you are a student.

So are many other companies. Dell, HP, Lenovo, Microsoft, Adobe, and much more. Education discounts are there. Apple is no different, and their offer is not more competitive than the others (at least in Canada and US).

45 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

There is absolutely no way the school district I went to would allow this. They are pretty strick with the school budget. I think the best field trip I got when I was in elementary school was to the zoo and we had to fill out a worksheet of questions about the various animals there. Probably the best thought my entire k through 12 was a trip to an amusement park for my physics class. We had to do physics calculations to answer things like velocity and acceleration on various point on a ride. 

What if the field trip is fully paid by Apple?

I mean, already Apple offer free computers to any school that is willing to sign an exclusivity deal with them. The School gets all the iMac's and iPad's they need, as long as there is no PCs in sign form the students eyes.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

So are many other companies. Dell, HP, Lenovo, Microsoft, Adobe, and much more. Education discounts are there. Apple is no different, and their offer is not more competitive than the others (at least in Canada and US).

Well then I guess Apple are the ones who advertise it more! 

30 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

What if the field trip is fully paid by Apple?

I mean, already Apple offer free computers to any school that is willing to sign an exclusivity deal with them. The School gets all the iMac's and iPad's they need, as long as there is no PCs in sign form the students eyes.

They would likely still decline. The school district I went to was rated number one in my state for a reason. They don't do things that don't have a clear academic value. 

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

It's not like Apple hasn't tried this before, though not quite so blatantly.  They used to offer heavy discounts in the 90's for school districts to run Apple computers.  I even remember doing a dissection on an Apple IIe (I've always had a weak stomach for blood and guts, and couldn't do it with the real thing).

2 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

It's not like Apple hasn't tried this before, though not quite so blatantly.  They used to offer heavy discounts in the 90's for school districts to run Apple computers.  I even remember doing a dissection on an Apple IIe (I've always had a weak stomach for blood and guts, and couldn't do it with the real thing).

Oh yes, this is nothing new...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.