8700k 1080Ti build advice

Soag

Hi,

I'm planning to finally build myself a real solid machine. Main usage: AAA gaming and watching shows in high quality.

Been reading a lot of articles and viewing guides recently but consider myself an amateur and would like to ask you for help/advice.

PC Part Picker list HERE, pasted one below and a few additional notes at the end.

CPU:                       Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core
CPU Cooler:            be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM
Motherboard:           ASRock - Z370 Pro4 ATX LGA1151
Memory:                  G.Skill - Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200
Storage:                   Samsung - 970 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card:              MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB GAMING X TRIO
Case:                        None picked
Power Supply:          be quiet! - Dark Power Pro 11 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX
Operating System:   Microsoft - Windows 7 Professional Full 32/64-bit
Sound Card:             Creative Labs - Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 24-bit 96 kHz
Monitor:                    Acer - XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz

NEW BUILD: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Soag/saved/dJJp8d

Notes:

1. Pretty much anything (apart from CPU and GPU) can be changed,
  2. I don't plan to buy everything altogether but most likely will spend an equivalent of ~500$ for parts a month (except for a monitor which is a 1st buy),
  3. Performance over looks,
  4. I do know 32GB of RAM might be too much but some bottleneck calculator suggested that so for now I went with it (might buy just one stick and one another - if needed - after the build is fully complete),
  5. I've seen the case tier list but please suggest something if you can bearing in mind I'm not a fan of lights/glow etc (same applies to RAM),
  6. I don't store a lot of data hence the disk space but a fast one instead,
  7. Read/calculated 650W of supply will be enough. If not please advise.
  8. No idea about the sound card whatsoever - picked a brand known to me from way back.

And finally: thank you for reading thus far and for any critique you might bring to the table. Literally any ;).

4 minutes ago, Soag said:

some bottleneck calculator 

NEVER trust those

5 minutes ago, Soag said:

Read/calculated 650W of supply

550 would be enough too...

No idea about the sound card whatsoever - picked a brand known to me from way back

why do you need one?

if you can do this for me, I think i can help with building something out of this

and btw, you like that guide?

As for the monitor, you could maybe use the new AORUS 27" 144hz 1440p IPS display which costs 100 bucks less than the Acer one. Depending on the retailer you can get a free mousepad or games with it since it's new

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

4 minutes ago, Earnist_ said:

you dont want to skimp on the psu

That's a Platinum Dark Power Pro 11 lol

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

That's a Platinum Dark Power Pro 11 lol

no luke said 550 would be enough but that would be pushing it

1 minute ago, Earnist_ said:

not by much... but you're not fully wrong... you're just a bit wrong

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

not by much... but you're not fully wrong... you're just a bit wrong

why get a 550 and chance not getting a good oc on cpu and gpu when you can get a 650 or 750 which arent alot of money and call it a day

7 minutes ago, Earnist_ said:

why get a 550 and chance not getting a good oc on cpu and gpu when you can get a 650 or 750 which arent alot of money and call it a day

i mean, i don't disagree on what you're saying. but what you say is kinda bullshit...

but for quieter operation is nothing wrong with 650

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

i mean, i don't disagree on what you're saying. but what you say is kinda bullshit...

but for quieter operation is nothing wrong with 650

how is what im saying bull shit

24 minutes ago, Earnist_ said:

you dont want to skimp on the psu

He doesn't he does the opposite.

18 minutes ago, Earnist_ said:

Yes, as 550W is enough for some Intel System (some Sandy Bridge or so, forgot what it was).

And I've ran a pair of HD4870X2 with a 550W Dark Power P10...

14 minutes ago, Earnist_ said:

Because 750W is like 30€ more, 650W still 10€ more and he could use a Pizza for it.

ANd with the P10 series, the 550W unit at 100% load had a lower fan RPM than all other at 10%.

https://www.hartware.de/2012/11/27/be-quiet-dark-power-pro-10-650w/8/

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

@LukeSavenije

Read your tips loud and clear

As for the sound card - you suggest to use a motherboard integrated one (if there's one nowadays anyway)? If yes, will that be good enough? I might want to attach some solid speakers to it if I feel like filling the whole house with some music :D. But tbh that's not really needed, so yeah.

As for the guide - understand you mean the recommendations meagethread one - it's VERY helpful.

@Beer_Nontitju

You mean the Aorus AD27QD? No G-Sync and dunno how will it synchronize on FreeSync (at this point am tired of following compatibility lists...)

And in HERE they offer a "free" Predator Cestus 500 as well. Not that I need it anyways with my Bloody V7, LOL.

Ah, one thing I forgot to mention in the initial post.

No case fans were picked as it seems dumb to me if no case is chosen first. I may be wrong, though.

Read your tips loud and clear

As for the sound card - you suggest to use a motherboard integrated one (if there's one nowadays anyway)? If yes, will that be good enough? I might want to attach some solid speakers to it if I feel like filling the whole house with some music :D. But tbh that's not really needed, so yeah.

As for the guide - understand you mean the recommendations meagethread one - it's VERY helpful.

motherboard integrated is enough for most people with how far it has come these days, and if you're not happy, i would rather suggest a external dac/amp solution over a soundcard.

for the monitor: iirc it's gsync compatible, so it will run just fine

thanks btw

@ActuallyMediocreOC

Amount or frequency?

Wrote about it in the notes section and Luke already touched the subject but what would be your recommendation?

In case of, well, case - 5th point in notes describes the situation.

24 minutes ago, ActuallyMediocreOC said:

If you know what kinda colours you'll want and if you want a side window that'd help us help you point out some of the better cases though 

Case colour? Irrelevant. No lights/LEDs etc. at all if possible.

Side window: yes - as I could easily glipse over it without opening to see if any dust accumulated inside.

As for the size: ATX has more room inside, so provides better cooling potential and flexibility when it comes to hardware changes.

Preferably with some "legs" if bottom fan would be needed but producers most likely take that into account when designing those.

In general I'm planning to build it and make it as maintenance-free as possible.

May it rest there and do its job.

If market, requirements or any similar factors change I'd prefer to:

1. Overclock it a bit to meet those,
  2. Add something inside for the same purpose (eg. 2nd GPU into SLI),
  3. Switch some components for newer ones.

All in that order.

So if I can plan it ahead and make sure to be able to follow those guidelines in the future then ideally I'd buy stuff which can support the idea right now and don't bother with it later.

So you already own the cpu and gpu ?

Nah, I don't.

Those are just the components of choice.

As for CPU I prefer to stick with Intel and don't think I need to go down the i9 route. IMO i7 8700k will be plenty enough and 9700k - in several tests I checked - proved to be really similar if not even slightly worse at times.

In case of GPU similar thing seems to happen when comparing 1080Ti with regular 2080 (apart from ray tracing stuff, which I'm not really interested in) and is way cheaper than 2080Ti.

But if you know something I don't or would have strong arguments to go a different route please bring that to my attention.

Additionally, I'd like to already thank everyone who spent their time posting here trying to help me out.

19 hours ago, lee32uk said:

So you already own the cpu and gpu ?

I just investigated the GPU case a little bit and think I know what you might have meant.

Seems it's real hard to buy a freash 1080Ti - not only the particular model listed. Dang it. You guys know some tricks/have advice in that regard?

1 hour ago, Soag said:

I just investigated the GPU case a little bit and think I know what you might have meant.

Seems it's real hard to buy a freash 1080Ti - not only the particular model listed. Dang it. You guys know some tricks/have advice in that regard?

You would have to look for a 2nd hand 1080 ti if you wanted one, as they are discontinued now, so new ones are getting rare and are expensive if you can find one in stock.  

I did find relatively cheap MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X 11GB one (for their price) on an auction which comes from disassembling PC sold on parts. Story says a client wanted the full set but didn't pick it up so the whole thing goes out in parts sold cheaper. Comparing that to brand new, packed 2080's that would save me roughly between 150 and 250 USD. Which then leads me to believe going for 2080 might be a better long term investment...

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention in regards to the case is I want one in which optical drive installation is possible. Not only fans on the front. From the top of the tier list in here only Phanteks Enthoo Pro M seems to be meeting that requirement (and doesn't look flashy, which is nice).

42 minutes ago, Soag said:

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention in regards to the case is I want one in which optical drive installation is possible. Not only fans on the front. From the top of the tier list in here only Phanteks Enthoo Pro M seems to be meeting that requirement (and doesn't look flashy, which is nice).

If you go on pcpartpicker you can select 1 x 5.25 bay from the options and it will show you all cases that have at least one optical bay.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/overall-list/#G=1,12&sort=price&t=1,4,3,2

Obviously make sure you pick the case first as that will show you compatible parts when doing a build.

• 4 months later...

OK, I opted to wait with my purchases until Zen 2 is out. Now it is so it's about time to dig out this subject.

Updates: I do have an MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X (no, not the trio one). Apart from that everything else is on the shopping list.

When it comes down to Intel i7 processors the 9700k just grew on me and it being soldered and 8700k not seems to be a deciding factor.

I've long waited for Zen 2 to make a final decision and would most likely go with 3700x from that line but there are few 'buts' in here.

1) Since it's supposed to be gaming only rig (not counting browsing and watching media as its performance needs are low) the Intel one still pulls ahead even in 1440p and from my perspective that's the main factor

2) If I'd go with AMD one I'd most likely buy a solid cooler/AIO over the Wraith Prism anyway, as its performance doesn't seem to be enough if any OC is brought to the table, so that small addition when making a purchase is rendered irrelevant

3) If AMD is the choice here, then at this point x570 has to be as well. Due to its prices I wonder if Ryzen is still the choice here.

I think, all in all, it boils down to MOBO prices.

Bear in mind I do plan on OC'ing so on both fronts MOBO needs to be strong enough to handle the stress.

As I'm not knowledgable in that area please advise: which MOBO for both of those would suffice? I could look up local prices for those and make a decision to push through with the whole buying/building part.

On the 'growing' part I also decided to be willing to abandon the 5,25" bay cases and opt for a better airflow + external optical drive when needed.

Thanks for any thoughts and advices.