Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LogicalDrm

Landing page for LinusTechTips.com

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

In wake of recent Content ID claim issue, I watched another youtubers opinion video, and it had good points. So, @LinusTech @Slick @nicklmg, maybe its time to face the facts. You need much better front page for this community than what YT or just forums can provide.

 

So imo landing page should be what you get when you go to https://linustechtips.com/main or https://linustechtips.com. It should have all important links to threads, social media, company's site, channels, Floatplane etc. I don't have artistic skills for UI design so here's what I think:

 

Banner, kinda like forums, with forum style nav-bar (maybe).

 

Announcements / Important info

Anything current. Scam email note, Content ID thingy with details on how to handle it, LTX, events coverage (because it causes no videos) etc.

 

Channels

Description and latest videos for all main channels.

 

Social media

Links/feeds to LMG's main social media accounts.

 

Community

Link for forum, link to community standards, and most importantly, links to sponsor thread, and both suggestion threads. This might even give us less posts that should be on those threads.

 

Floatplane

Brief introduction to what FP is, how to join and why you pay per creator. With support email link. And disclaimer that service is in beta.

 

Anything other important, but i think this would cover most things. I really do agree, that this mess could have handled better. And that Linus really should up his game on professional side of things.


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites

you forgot @colonel_mortis and @Whiskers


PSU Tier List (simplified)//PSU tier list (advanced)//Motherboard VRM list//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs//Seasonic Focus issues//Community standards

Don't forget to quote or mention me

 

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3500 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB (modified)  PSU: CX550m

 

Secondary PC: Cedar mill

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

 

Server: CookieVault

Spoiler

CPU: C2D E8400  RAM: 2x2+2x1 gb DDR3   HDD: 4x Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI 1TB   PSU: Acbel 320w 80+ gold

 

Laptop: HP Elitebook 8460p

Spoiler

CPU: I5-2540m  GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+4GB 1333 mhz DDR3   SSD: mx500 250gb  Screen: TN 768p

 

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

you forgot @colonel_mortis and @Whiskers

Mortis reads everything posted here, and Whiskers isn't the important one when we talk about website/forum design.


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

Mortis reads everything posted here, and Whiskers isn't the important one when we talk about website/forum design.

i know... but i don't know why you would do linus then, as he rarely watches his notifications


PSU Tier List (simplified)//PSU tier list (advanced)//Motherboard VRM list//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs//Seasonic Focus issues//Community standards

Don't forget to quote or mention me

 

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3500 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB (modified)  PSU: CX550m

 

Secondary PC: Cedar mill

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

 

Server: CookieVault

Spoiler

CPU: C2D E8400  RAM: 2x2+2x1 gb DDR3   HDD: 4x Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI 1TB   PSU: Acbel 320w 80+ gold

 

Laptop: HP Elitebook 8460p

Spoiler

CPU: I5-2540m  GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+4GB 1333 mhz DDR3   SSD: mx500 250gb  Screen: TN 768p

 

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
31 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i know... but i don't know why you would do linus then, as he rarely watches his notifications

He's the one who is to blame for this mess. Being CEO and all. Nick is the one who should see this. He is what little LMG has for community relations person. And Luke should be the one overseeing forums.


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

He's the one who is to blame for this mess. Being CEO and all. Nick is the one who should see this. He is what little LMG has for community relations person. And Luke should be the one overseeing forums.

Luke watches over floatplane, not the forum

 

Linus is fair enough, but we probably would only see if via someone else and Nick is fair enough too

 

but the one that MUST see this is mortis, because he has most of the contact with invision


PSU Tier List (simplified)//PSU tier list (advanced)//Motherboard VRM list//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs//Seasonic Focus issues//Community standards

Don't forget to quote or mention me

 

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3500 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB (modified)  PSU: CX550m

 

Secondary PC: Cedar mill

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

 

Server: CookieVault

Spoiler

CPU: C2D E8400  RAM: 2x2+2x1 gb DDR3   HDD: 4x Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI 1TB   PSU: Acbel 320w 80+ gold

 

Laptop: HP Elitebook 8460p

Spoiler

CPU: I5-2540m  GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+4GB 1333 mhz DDR3   SSD: mx500 250gb  Screen: TN 768p

 

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Community

 

Link for forum, link to community standards, and most importantly, links to sponsor thread, and both suggestion threads. This might even give us less posts that should be on those threads.

Well, this is the only issue I have with this idea. If the page doesn't point straight to the forum then this change would potentially reduce forum traffic and could lower our userbase and monthly visits, which could then lower revenue from displayed ads for instance I suppose? I'm not particularly sure about the outcome, but I feel like when people type linustechtips.com they should still be pointed straight to the forum.

Maybe a notification pop-up window, that you could permanently disable after viewing once, that contained what you wrote:

Quote

important links to threads, social media, company's site, channels, Floatplane etc

would be a better and less-invasive idea?


CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X TRIO 11GB GDDR5X Motherboard: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VI EXTREME
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair TX650M Gray Unit
Displays: AORUS AD27QD, DELL UltraSharp U2711 Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, ADATA SP550 240GB M.2, Kingston UV400 240GB, WD Red 2TB & 1TB
Laptop: Acer Nitro 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X 4GB RAM: 16GB Storage: 240GB M.2 SSD, 1TB HDD Display: 15.6" IPS

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Well, this is the only issue I have with this idea. If the page doesn't point straight to the forum then this change would potentially reduce forum traffic and could lower our userbase and monthly visits, which could then lower revenue from displayed ads for instance I suppose? I'm not particularly sure about the outcome, but I feel like when people type linustechtips.com they should still be pointed straight to the forum.

Maybe a notification pop-up window, that you could permanently disable after viewing once, that contained what you wrote:

would be a better and less-invasive idea?

Regular users would have forum as bookmark or most visited link saved on browser still. But considering this is supposed to be LTTs main site, this has very little of direct things to LTT. Especially when new user comes to site, maybe angry tech-tuber. Overall having forum main page as landing page is just awful. I don't know many sites where forum would be the main page for site. Its something you need to go to. And having landing page wouldn't hurt Google etc. or it shouldn't.


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Regular users would have forum as bookmark or most visited link saved on browser still. But considering this is supposed to be LTTs main site, this has very little of direct things to LTT. Especially when new user comes to site, maybe angry tech-tuber. Overall having forum main page as landing page is just awful. I don't know many sites where forum would be the main page for site. Its something you need to go to. And having landing page wouldn't hurt Google etc. or it shouldn't.

Yeah, I'm aware of that but it's been like that for years and changing that is not necessarily the best idea, or at least more things should be considered before making such changes. Also, doesn't this site at least partially do what you're suggesting?
https://www.linusmediagroup.com/


CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X TRIO 11GB GDDR5X Motherboard: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VI EXTREME
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair TX650M Gray Unit
Displays: AORUS AD27QD, DELL UltraSharp U2711 Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, ADATA SP550 240GB M.2, Kingston UV400 240GB, WD Red 2TB & 1TB
Laptop: Acer Nitro 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X 4GB RAM: 16GB Storage: 240GB M.2 SSD, 1TB HDD Display: 15.6" IPS

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Yeah, I'm aware of that but it's been like that for years and changing that is not necessarily the best idea, or at least more things should be considered before making such changes. Also, doesn't this site at least partially do what you'd like to be done?
https://www.linusmediagroup.com/

It kinda is. But the problem is that for someone who isn't invested into what LMG/LTT is, finding that page isn't easy. Its not linked to videos, nor About page on YT (which has email, granted). As much wider aspect, having forums equal linustechtips.com and then them having no real relation to LMG is kinda odd.

 

Watch the first 15-20 minutes of the linked thing and you get what I'm after. Eli does it bit more aggressively than you might like, and while he says he's not trying to be better, he acts like he would be in same situation.


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

It kinda is. But the problem is that for someone who isn't invested into what LMG/LTT is, finding that page isn't easy. Its not linked to videos, nor About page on YT (which has email, granted). As much wider aspect, having forums equal linustechtips.com and then them having no real relation to LMG is kinda odd.

 

Watch the first 15-20 minutes of the linked thing and you get what I'm after. Eli does it bit more aggressively than you might like, and while he says he's not trying to be better, he acts like he would be in same situation.

Oooh I didn't see the hyperlink in your post, it's a bit small :P I'll definitely watch it but I'm at work now.

Though again, wouldn't a pop-up message (something similar to those cookie policy pop-ups on most pages nowadays when you visit them for the first time) that points to that LMG page and to other places that may be useful, be a less invasive way of achieving the same goal? You could make the message "remember" the fact that you don't want to view it again so it's not going to become an annoyance for most users.


CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X TRIO 11GB GDDR5X Motherboard: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VI EXTREME
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair TX650M Gray Unit
Displays: AORUS AD27QD, DELL UltraSharp U2711 Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, ADATA SP550 240GB M.2, Kingston UV400 240GB, WD Red 2TB & 1TB
Laptop: Acer Nitro 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X 4GB RAM: 16GB Storage: 240GB M.2 SSD, 1TB HDD Display: 15.6" IPS

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Oooh I didn't see the hyperlink in your post, it's a bit small :P I'll definitely watch it but I'm at work now.

Though again, wouldn't a pop-up message (something similar to those cookie policy pop-ups on most pages nowadays when you visit them for the first time) that points to that LMG page and to other places that may be useful, be a less invasive way of achieving the same goal? You could make the message "remember" the fact that you don't want to view it again so it's not going to be an annoyance for most users.

I didn't want to make video the point of this.

 

Pop up would achieve same. I just wanted to prompt this issue and not point fingers like it seems to be way to go these days.


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×