Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tobi_96

Excel if-function with text

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I searched in other forums (7 different forums) and websites (a lot of them, included office.com, etc) and a lot of other websites,

 

BUT

 

I still have the problem with this funcion:

=if(A1='D'; 3; 0)

It shows me everytime a error:

Excel says me to edit it to:

'=if...'

But this is dumb.

 

My solutions, which i tried:

''D''

  D (with space)

´D´

--> Not working, Excel still dumb.

 

 

Help?!???

Link to post
Share on other sites
=IF(B1="D";3;0)

Works for me.


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 2/20/2019 at 11:23 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

=IF(B1="D";3;0)

Works for me.

So you used " instead of '?

Yeah i tried that but my excel still stays dumb...

 

Could you actually help me or do you just write something down and say: 'iT wOrkS fOr mE'.... 

 

Sincerely,

 

A intelligent man

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Tobi_96 said:

So you used " instead of '?

Yeah i tried that but my excel still stays dumb...

 

Could you actually help me or do you just write something down and say: 'iT wOrkS fOr mE'.... 

 

Sincerely,

 

A intelligent man

why do you use semi-colon and not comma ? i haven't use recent office version is years but i found it strange it's now the parameter separating character. Personally on office 2010 semi colon are still invalid characters. My working version is

=IF(A1="D",3,0)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tobi_96 said:

So you used " instead of '?

Yeah i tried that but my excel still stays dumb...

 

Could you actually help me or do you just write something down and say: 'iT wOrkS fOr mE'.... 

 

Sincerely,

 

A intelligent man

 

I've gave you a function that I've tested to be working. I would need sample of your data to give further help.

 

2 hours ago, Franck said:

why do you use semi-colon and not comma ? i haven't use recent office version is years but i found it strange it's now the parameter separating character. Personally on office 2010 semi colon are still invalid characters. My working version is


=IF(A1="D",3,0)

 

That could be system defaults on characters. I use comma as decimal place. So the way Excel gives me example on how function is to be constructed is that.


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

 

That could be system defaults on characters. I use comma as decimal place. So the way Excel gives me example on how function is to be constructed is that.

so with comma it doesn't work ? that is strange because since it existed it always has been comma the separating character. Works for both french / english setup. English use dot and french comma for decimal places and both require comma separated parameters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Franck said:

so with comma it doesn't work ? that is strange because since it existed it always has been comma the separating character. Works for both french / english setup. English use dot and french comma for decimal places and both require comma separated parameters.

I'm sure it does work in language settings where dot is used as decimal separation rather than comma. Semicolon is default list separator for my system language defaults. All I'm saying that Excel will show correct characters to be used in their tooltip.


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to check you're using the character [ " ] right and not just the [ ' ] pressed twice?  " '' because they look similar   (joking)

 

But seriously the quotation marks denote text in excel so anything placed between them will be identified as text, a double quotation mark [ "" ] is what I used to denote a blank cell.  IF functions are not case sensitive but they will get upset if the there is a space either side of the characters.  I tend to use the =SEARCH("a",b,0) function first and then =IF(x>0,y,z) to overcome this, it can also overcome formatting errors, the IF function doesn't work well when you have numbers stored as text =IF(x="123",b,c) is totally different to =IF(x=123,b,c) because one is looking for a number, the other is looking for text.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×