Power Outlets PISSES LINUS OFF. [Discussion]

SesMoge
5 hours ago, mp-c said:

I think they should all be combined into one and every plug have a switch. It's most common to find switches on power outlets in UK and Australia. This is a good idea

Switches and USB ports are independent of the outlet standard. If you want them on every outlet in your house, you can have them regardless of where you live. A good plug standard doesn't need a switch though - at best it's convenience.

Also UK plugs are the most annoying to use. They only go in one way, they're huge and hard to adapt to competing standards - all in exchange for some very situational benefits. Compare this with German and Italian plugs:

Spoiler

image.png.eff05ea40094b863b7d71b9eab611848.png

image.png.e1fd39accbd8da14313c17cf1c0e6672.png

And the shared outlet for them:

Spoiler

image.png.886f319a3ca88a7bf24289e07bbc8611.png

If there is any chance of having a common standard it comes from combined outlets.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

not every country has the same voltage and frequency. have fun plugginig in a 110V thing to a 240V outlet i guess

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

i always have this idea, of replacing all kinds of power plugs and replace them with iec c13/14 plugs, since all kinds of electronics already uses this standard for ac power.

and it would makes perfect sense when the age of space travel comes, where a neutral standard plug will be needed in habitats in space or other worlds.

while i do like the british plug, it's too bulky, to the point it's inconvinient to carry around.

3500.024_1.jpg

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

22 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Have you calculated the amount of "energy" is used running a lightbulb in todays standard, for lets say 100 years...versus replacing just 1 receptacle.  

I haven't done the math, this is your idea so I challenge you to do so, to support your claims - how much energy in watts is consumed in a lightbulb running 5 years in current standard (we will say, US perhaps?) and then the amount of energy required to "create" a single receptacle.  

Convince me with facts that this is the way to pave forward.

Well. Let’s say a new law requires all new houses built must require a new standard, and optional to include the old standard.

Let’s look at a factory producing power outlets, a steady amount every year.

The new standard requires new molds, maybe new tools, and some other new things.

For the factory, this does initially cost more energy to start up.

As time passes, the new standard will see rapid production growth, as all new houses require them.

The old standard would decline slowly, until after many decades, no one uses the old standard.

Now, let us be clear. A change to a new standard will require more energy than just maintaing the status quo.

How about the long run, globally?

Would Earth with many standards as today, require more or less energy, compared to an Earth where everyone used one global standard?

10 minutes ago, SesMoge said:

Well. Let’s say a new law requires all new houses built must require a new standard, and optional to include the old standard.

The new standard requires new molds, maybe new tools, and some other new things.

As time passes, the new standard will see rapid production growth, as all new houses require them.

The old standard would decline slowly, until after many decades, no one uses the old standard.

Now, let us be clear. A change to a new standard will require more energy than just maintaing the status quo.

Would Earth with many standards as today, require more or less energy, compared to an Earth where everyone used one global standard?

You do know (research) that Hemp manufacturing was heavily influenced by...The Newspaper industry, because their current wood pulp to paper machines were far to expensive (I.E. cripple them) to replace - therefore, the Hemp industry, which is by FAR SUPERIOR to wood pulp in terms of...well we can get into that entire other subject and no I don't mean marijuana - in terms of everything (yet we cut trees down instead...because Humans and money) was never allowed to flourish in the US - to the degradation of us all.

(the point of this paragraph is to help you understand that Laws aren't made to help "us" this standard would have to have a benefit...to only a few)

And it still hasn't changed.

So when people start saying "Lets make this a law" I want to kindly tell you to "stay in your lane" "mind your own business" and "quit trying to use the Courts to influence any portion of capitalism, because in the end it makes it far harder for anyone to start up a business when you heavily regulate the ability to do business (this used to be a Country of dreams because it wasn't retarded expensive to start up a business - I own 3 so I have reference) allowing those currently in power to stay alive in their market" but this is a far deeper conversation and not one we can fix on this forum, but have, sure.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

10 hours ago, Sauron said:

Switches and USB ports are independent of the outlet standard. If you want them on every outlet in your house, you can have them regardless of where you live. A good plug standard doesn't need a switch though - at best it's convenience.

Also UK plugs are the most annoying to use. They only go in one way, they're huge and hard to adapt to competing standards - all in exchange for some very situational benefits. Compare this with German and Italian plugs:

Absolutely this
and this

21 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Pls call it by its name:
Its the GERMAN Plugs.

Aka Schuko

There is a simple solution if you absolutely need it keyed:
Use the French Plug.

This one:

https://www.banggood.com/16A-EU-Outlet-ABS-Copper-French-Standard-Power-Single-Plug-Wall-Socket-p-1121105.html?cur_warehouse=CN

The UK Plugs are shit.

Try using them. And watch Bigclive...

They are big, clunky and if you step on them, its really bad as they lie on the ground with the metal to the sky so that it really hurts.

The Child "Proof" stuff is bogus as there are Child Proof Schuko Outlets as well.

for example:
https://www.e-material.de/epages/17883757.mobile/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17883757/Products/Bj20EUCKS-214

The "Europlugs" that you know and get are compatible with both Schuko and the French stuff...

Btw I do not understand why do some guys suggest the UK ones, they are mainly using for some reason ring electrical circuits, that need the plug to be polarized for the fuses to correctly work if I did not get it wrong. It's frustrating also you can't plug the sockets in either way
It's AC!

The most that seem reasonable to me are the european plugs, shucko, the france one, the european and the italian ones (literally the european one but with 3 poles)

Literally, the shucko has all the advantages the UK has, plus is better

I live in Italy and a compatible outlets between everything already exist as Sauron showed, won't take more than 30€ to replace all my house sockets with it (it's 20 years old)

image.png.c00659073eb1659c36f323317af13bb8.png

Edited by Guest

12 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

honestly lets get wireless power everywhere and we wont have to bother with any of this. linus did a basic presentation of it once.

if we invested more into researching that and somehow could make it possible that'd be awesome. 

or if youre really hardcore you could just cut the connectors off entirely and have 2 - 3 cables that you connect directly to an outlet box like you do with speakers on an amp. :D

Wireless power is insanely inefficient. Even when feasible, it is never a good idea to default to on a pure waste heat perspective.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

29 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

You do know (research) that Hemp manufacturing was heavily influenced by...The Newspaper industry, because their current wood pulp to paper machines were far to expensive (I.E. cripple them) to replace - therefore, the Hemp industry, which is by FAR SUPERIOR to wood pulp in terms of...well we can get into that entire other subject and no I don't mean marijuana - in terms of everything (yet we cut trees down instead...because Humans and money) was never allowed to flourish in the US - to the degradation of us all.

(the point of this paragraph is to help you understand that Laws aren't made to help "us" this standard would have to have a benefit...to only a few)

And it still hasn't changed.

So when people start saying "Lets make this a law" I want to kindly tell you to "stay in your lane" "mind your own business" and "quit trying to use the Courts to influence any portion of capitalism, because in the end it makes it far harder for anyone to start up a business when you heavily regulate the ability to do business (this used to be a Country of dreams because it wasn't retarded expensive to start up a business - I own 3 so I have reference) allowing those currently in power to stay alive in their market" but this is a far deeper conversation and not one we can fix on this forum, but have, sure.

Ok, let us stay away from laws. How about this. Let’s say everyone in the world somehow has agreed to adopt a new standard. All new houses are built with the new standard, and people can include the old standard if they want to.

(same text from this point)

23 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

There's at least some reason why outlets are different.

Example: North America uses the NEMA 5-15R Receptacle, which uses 120V (+/- 5V) at 15A. If you plugged a 220V item into it, it wouldn't work. If you plugged a 120V item into a 220V circuit, you'd probably blow the 120V item up.

Plus you've got to get every country to agree on the standard. You've also got to differentiate between different voltages and amps.

Examples (All North American plugs):

NEMA 5-15P (125V 15A max)

Reveal hidden contents

original.jpg

NEMA 5-20P (125V 20A max)

Hide contents

s-l300.jpg

Note how it's backwards compatible with a 5-15P plug, but a 5-20P plug cannot fit into a 5-15R receptacle.

NEMA 5-30P (125V 30A max)

Reveal hidden contents

yp-90l.jpg

And then you've got the higher voltage plugs, which are a different set entirely.

Even in a single country, there are at least a half dozen different plug standards used, due to different usages and requirements.

Excuse me, one voltage and one plug standard, (for homes, Industrial use obviously varies).

21 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Pls call it by its name:
Its the GERMAN Plugs.

Aka Schuko

There is a simple solution if you absolutely need it keyed:
Use the French Plug.

This one:

https://www.banggood.com/16A-EU-Outlet-ABS-Copper-French-Standard-Power-Single-Plug-Wall-Socket-p-1121105.html?cur_warehouse=CN

The UK Plugs are shit.

Try using them. And watch Bigclive...

They are big, clunky and if you step on them, its really bad as they lie on the ground with the metal to the sky so that it really hurts.

The Child "Proof" stuff is bogus as there are Child Proof Schuko Outlets as well.

for example:
https://www.e-material.de/epages/17883757.mobile/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17883757/Products/Bj20EUCKS-214

The "Europlugs" that you know and get are compatible with both Schuko and the French stuff...

11 hours ago, Sauron said:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.eff05ea40094b863b7d71b9eab611848.png

image.png.e1fd39accbd8da14313c17cf1c0e6672.png

And the shared outlet for them:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.886f319a3ca88a7bf24289e07bbc8611.png

If there is any chance of having a common standard it comes from combined outlets.

Really don't get the complaint at Uk plugs? Generally i get why other countries may use different voltages. But anytime i see a plug without a ground or a fuse, (or circuit breaker, ground fault detector, or similar purpose item), i want to strangle whatever idiot designed that standard. Then again Darwin.

Also you can drop furniture on UK plus whilst moving it and not even interrupt whatever was running on it usually, (it's been done by people i know a fair few times, but some older plugs are prone to having the housing shatter if you hit them too hard like that)..

@SesMoge

Globally the market will speak for itself, either people will buy/use (reasons being will always be money savings or time savings - the two rarest resources) this technology or not, and it will effect factories who choose to adopt early in either direction - I personally would buy anything that would have an ROI on my investment within 1 year (for sure) or 2 years.  3 years may not be cost effective because the extrapolation of technology may mean...the next big thing is on the horizon.  

So as for people adopting the new standard only regulations can force that - so we are back to laws.  I love Capitalism in the sense that the market is controlled by our wallets.  Its influenced by advertisement, word of mouth blah blah etc.  

So IF an adoption was pursued and there was a feasible reason to change, it would have to be from the benefits it brings the consumers - if only the rich can afford, this is a niche market.  If everyone can eventually afford (like most tech) and benefit from it - its the next FM radio.  Great for a while for sure!  This would greatly benefit early adopters and anyone who could reasonably buy into making this standard.  I love the Market so heck yeah!  If it fails it will be because it doesn't deliver the promised results from switching over.

Globally?  Does this save money or time?  If not most people wont care.  If it does - its the next biggest thing.  

As for Earths many standards versus a global - the only benefit to earth is if it is an adoption that requires the use of 100% recycled materials.  To us inhabitants - as long as it kills our planet at less of a rate than we are currently - Im good with it.

(I also have not yet read whether this is providing a benefit...is it?)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just let the people use the plugs they have already. It'll take billions to update every household and facility to another standard in NA.

My homeroom alone has apprx. 20 plug sets. How much will replacing that take?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Upgrading from 110v to 230v would bring other benefits...

potentially cheaper power transformers outside your house (the things on the street that convert 10+ kV to lower voltages),

less voltage drop / smaller variations (during heat waves when everyone turns AC on for example),

higher efficiencies in power supplies in anything that uses switching power supplies, 

faster charging for electric cars at home without having to hire electricians to convert 110v to higher voltage etc

and I'm sure there's other things.

Just now, mariushm said:

Upgrading from 110v to 230v would bring other benefits...

potentially cheaper power transformers outside your house (the things on the street that convert 10+ kV to lower voltages),

less voltage drop / smaller variations (during heat waves when everyone turns AC on for example),

higher efficiencies in power supplies in anything that uses switching power supplies, 

faster charging for electric cars at home without having to hire electricians to convert 110v to higher voltage etc

and I'm sure there's other things.

And I'm assuming the EU will pay for our new appliances, since most of my stuff is rated for 115V only?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

And I'm assuming the EU will pay for our new appliances, since most of my stuff is rated for 115V only?

No, most of your appliances already support high voltages (TVs, computers, wii, xbox, etc), your phone charger probably is universal voltage.

Your microwave oven may be 110v only, or your bread toaster, maybe your washing machine is 110v only (though you may have 220/230v models in US).

For these appliances, you could either replace them with 230v ones when they break down or you could use power transformers / converters that convert 230v to 110v. AC to AC transformers can be cheap.

Think back at what happened when you guys moved from analogue TV to digital OTA transmissions and the government subsidized those decoder boxes to retrofit old TVs - if they could give those boxes for free or for a few dollars they could sell you a converter for 5-10$.

I said in a few posts above, my thoughts are that you could make a law that any new houses will have cable in the wall  and outlets installed with 230v along the classic outlets with 110v, at the minimum in locations where it makes sense (kitchen, near bathroom, garage) and your house electrical panel will have both 230v and 110v.

Optionally, offer a subsidy or something (a few hundred dollars subsidy for example) if you pull power cables in every room and install 230v outlets besides the 110v ones in every room. Years from now,  at some point in the future, when every device uses 230v, you could simply remove the 110v outlets and replace them with 230v outlets in every room.

The UK Plug is superior to all others. And I shall ruddy well fight whomever challenges that!

Image result for old timey british boxer

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Oh, I like plugs. We should actually change them around the world to be the same kind... it would for one make travel Easier.

So true, just think about the possibility, if we switched all power plugs to an easy version.

- ZFD

1 hour ago, CarlBar said:

Really don't get the complaint at Uk plugs?

Because the outlets are overly complicated, bulky and probably also expensive.

And probably because you haven't interacted with other Plugs much?

The Schuko Plug is simpler just as safe and rated for more Amps...

Generally i get why other countries may use different voltages. But anytime i see a plug without a ground or a fuse, (or circuit breaker, ground fault detector, or similar purpose item), i want to strangle whatever idiot designed that standard. Then again Darwin.

Why would you have a Fuse in the Plug?!

Or rather how many Fuses do you have?!
Like 3?! One in the Breakerbox, one in the Plug, one in the Device?? Why? That's just bullshit.

Your Breaker should be a value that doesn't endanger the whole circuit. Meanning if your Plug allows up to 13A, you use a 13A Breaker.

Also you can drop furniture on UK plus whilst moving it and not even interrupt whatever was running on it usually, (it's been done by people i know a fair few times, but some older plugs are prone to having the housing shatter if you hit them too hard like that)..

And you can pull on a lead of an electric device if on the other End is a Schuko to remove the Plug from the Outlet, if you pull hard enough. That is also a SAFETY Feature.

Especially if you have some bad experiences with some electric devices and the pulling of the Plug out of the outlet saved you...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Because the outlets are overly complicated, bulky and probably also expensive.

And probably because you haven't interacted with other Plugs much?

The Schuko Plug is simpler just as safe and rated for more Amps...

Nope, nope, and nope. They're compact, simple and i wouldn't rate them as expense. Then again i can't remember the last time we had to replace one. And a quick search shows them to about the same price, (there's so0 much variance 'd have to spreadsheet to get an exact average for EU vs UK sockets).

9 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Why would you have a Fuse in the Plug?!

Or rather how many Fuses do you have?!
Like 3?! One in the Breakerbox, one in the Plug, one in the Device?? Why? That's just bullshit.

Your Breaker should be a value that doesn't endanger the whole circuit. Meanning if your Plug allows up to 13A, you use a 13A Breaker.

Most devices don't have internal fuses and the main fuse is usless for various fire situations. It will trip on a flat short. But anything less than that could overload te device internals without overloading the main fuse. The standard mains fuse in the UK is 32 amps.

13 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

And you can pull on a lead of an electric device if on the other End is a Schuko to remove the Plug from the Outlet, if you pull hard enough. That is also a SAFETY Feature.

Especially if you have some bad experiences with some electric devices and the pulling of the Plug out of the outlet saved you...

Why would you pull on the wire, thats immense amounts of stupid. It's literally one of the first things your taught never to do in electrical safety because of the danger of the wire catching on somthing . Either turn the device off at the device or at the wall. If you ever need to remove the plug to power something down in an emergency somthing has gone seriously wrong and you've got much bigger problems than "can i pull the plug out of the wall" as that means you've suffered simultaneous failures in a device, it's fuse, the wall socket and the potentially the mains supply to the socket.

If that much has gone wrong your allready 50 different kinds of screwed because you or someone else was grossly negligent in the maintenance and usage of the electricity supply and/or equipment.

32 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

Nope, nope, and nope. They're compact, simple and i wouldn't rate them as expense. Then again i can't remember the last time we had to replace one. And a quick search shows them to about the same price, (there's so0 much variance 'd have to spreadsheet to get an exact average for EU vs UK sockets).

You don't have any Experience with Schuko, do you??

I have seen all three major Plugs: Schuko, british Plug and the American Plug.

Calling the British Plug "compact". RLY?! its larger by a big amount and depending on the Plug I'm comparing it to, its up to 50% larger, your british one. If you want to call a Plug Compact, than do that with the Italian and Swiss one. THAT is really compact!

Even more compact than the US thing...

And simple, with a Fuse Holder? That complicates the design immensely!

As for Price: The Busch-Jäger one that I've linked to is one of the better ones, its a "Premium" brand. And beloved by Electricians because its rather high quality. And for the Consumer its actually cheaper to use better products that can be installed quicker than to use the cheaper ones.

But since you wanted it, here one of the Cheaper outlets:

https://shop.baumarkt-goellnitz.de/index.php?cl=details&anid=1d24ef4c538097573143d6fbb6e8688f&gclid=CjwKCAiAkrTjBRAoEiwAXpf9CY_h9HQp2Ky_T1QmqOhdman_wah_pTsPBJ1fsQtg0Ua3FDAxnWgpXhoC1e8QAvD_BwE

Here a Plug:
https://shop.baumarkt-goellnitz.de/Bauen-Renovieren/Elektrobedarf/Elektroinstallation/Stecker-Kupplungen/Kopp-Kunststoff-Schutzkontakt-Stecker-IP-20.html?listtype=search&searchparam=Schuko Stecker

42 Cents...

And that stuff is designed to be modular.

You are only limited by the frames for the Outlet/switch - wich usualy is 5.

Most devices don't have internal fuses and the main fuse is usless for various fire situations. It will trip on a flat short. But anything less than that could overload te device internals without overloading the main fuse. The standard mains fuse in the UK is 32 amps.

And here we have the Problem:
Nobody (=privat users) uses 32A Fuses in Germany, except for flowheaters (wich then again use 4x6mm²) - and maby a additional Breaker Box somewhere else in the House (wich is why I have 6x32A Breakers). There might be one or two other things that could use that but in general we do not use more than 16A.

So the Breakers actually break when you overload stuff and you do not need a fuse in the Plug because your circuit is already protected by the Breaker.

And (almost) everything has some form of fusing, either thermal, resettable or whatever (like fused traces on a PCB).

Why would you pull on the wire, thats immense amounts of stupid.

Yeah, its more stupid if you don't do it and the person actually dies.

In a dangerous situation, its best to do something than not do something...

Never said that you should do it but you could with most power tools.

40 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

You don't have any Experience with Schuko, do you??

I have seen all three major Plugs: Schuko, british Plug and the American Plug.

Calling the British Plug "compact". RLY?! its larger by a big amount and depending on the Plug I'm comparing it to, its up to 50% larger, your british one. If you want to call a Plug Compact, than do that with the Italian and Swiss one. THAT is really compact!

Even more compact than the US thing...

And simple, with a Fuse Holder? That complicates the design immensely!

As for Price: The Busch-Jäger one that I've linked to is one of the better ones, its a "Premium" brand. And beloved by Electricians because its rather high quality. And for the Consumer its actually cheaper to use better products that can be installed quicker than to use the cheaper ones.

But since you wanted it, here one of the Cheaper outlets:

https://shop.baumarkt-goellnitz.de/index.php?cl=details&anid=1d24ef4c538097573143d6fbb6e8688f&gclid=CjwKCAiAkrTjBRAoEiwAXpf9CY_h9HQp2Ky_T1QmqOhdman_wah_pTsPBJ1fsQtg0Ua3FDAxnWgpXhoC1e8QAvD_BwE

Here a Plug:
https://shop.baumarkt-goellnitz.de/Bauen-Renovieren/Elektrobedarf/Elektroinstallation/Stecker-Kupplungen/Kopp-Kunststoff-Schutzkontakt-Stecker-IP-20.html?listtype=search&searchparam=Schuko Stecker

42 Cents...

And that stuff is designed to be modular.

You are only limited by the frames for the Outlet/switch - wich usualy is 5.

And here we have the Problem:
Nobody (=privat users) uses 32A Fuses in Germany, except for flowheaters (wich then again use 4x6mm²) - and maby a additional Breaker Box somewhere else in the House (wich is why I have 6x32A Breakers). There might be one or two other things that could use that but in general we do not use more than 16A.

So the Breakers actually break when you overload stuff and you do not need a fuse in the Plug because your circuit is already protected by the Breaker.

And (almost) everything has some form of fusing, either thermal, resettable or whatever (like fused traces on a PCB).

Yeah, its more stupid if you don't do it and the person actually dies.

In a dangerous situation, its best to do something than not do something...

Never said that you should do it but you could with most power tools.

I've seen those so called compact ones. Their deathtraps. First some at least, (though i'm aware this has largely changed), are ungrounded. You get a fault it's probably going to electrocute you. There's also zero overcurrent protection because they're unfused.You get a lesser fault and you have a very high risk of fire, main breakers won't catch that.

Also:

A double Uk socket, (common to have several of these in a house):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invero®-Double-Electric-Socket-Switched/dp/B00W9XKT3E/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1550723464&sr=8-8&keywords=uk%2Bwall%2Bsocket&th=1

1 of yours, same model too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kopp-949013004-SCHUKO-socket-16-A-250-V/dp/B00BEF127K/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550723424&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Kopp+Danube+Schuko+wall+socket

Guess which is cheaper on a per socket basis, (i'm assuming from your comments double socket outlets aren't common where you are).

Also we have 32A because we like to be able to plug in more than one thing at once, whilst a TV plus a couple of other things wouldn't be a problem,, it certainly wouldn't be hard to overload a 16A breaker, i probably have enough stuff running in my bedroom right now to blow the upstairs circuit on a 16 A beaker. If not i'm pretty close and i'm pretty sure the stuff in the other bedroom would add upto more than 16A.

Lastly, again if someone's being electrocuted by a power tool and A) the earthing hasn't prevented it, B) the plug fuse hasn't blown, (you've got a flat short), C) the main breaker hasn't gone, (see point B), D) the power switch at the end of the socket or extension, (the later is not standard on indoor extensions but it's becoming increasingly so), has failed, you've got a littinay of faults and issues so long that the inability to pull the plug out via the cable is the least of your issues. Your probably so crappy at safety awareness that you won't even realise they're being electrocuted.

For those who don't understand the importance of polarity on an AC plug, the Power only flows from one side, then becomes a drain on that same side, if you put a switch on the the neutral side there will still be full house voltage at the appliance, which is very dangerous if you don't have a proper RCD.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

For those who don't understand the importance of polarity on an AC plug, the Power only flows from one side, then becomes a drain on that same side, if you put a switch on the the neutral side there will still be full house voltage at the appliance, which is very dangerous if you don't have a proper RCD.   

...wich is why you should switch both and that is what for example those things do:

https://www.bueromarkt-ag.de/steckdosenleiste_brennenstuhl_premium_protect_3m,p-1391000604,l-google-prd,pd-b2c.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAkrTjBRAoEiwAXpf9CbwKO8RsYFkyY5X8uWW0BjQfQ3lisox_hU78BQ-DC4eiTlXSenusJBoCxxIQAvD_BwE

Or other units with a switch should do as well...

Just use a 2 pin switch!

Also the RCD might not really save you anyway.

6 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

...wich is why you should switch both and that is what for example those things do:

https://www.bueromarkt-ag.de/steckdosenleiste_brennenstuhl_premium_protect_3m,p-1391000604,l-google-prd,pd-b2c.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAkrTjBRAoEiwAXpf9CbwKO8RsYFkyY5X8uWW0BjQfQ3lisox_hU78BQ-DC4eiTlXSenusJBoCxxIQAvD_BwE

Or other units with a switch should do as well...

Just use a 2 pin switch!

Also the RCD might not really save you anyway.

If an RCD doesn't save you it's becasue it wasn't wired properly or the appliance is faulty.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

I've seen those so called compact ones. Their deathtraps. First some at least, (though i'm aware this has largely changed), are ungrounded. You get a fault it's probably going to electrocute you. There's also zero overcurrent protection because they're unfused.You get a lesser fault and you have a very high risk of fire, main breakers won't catch that.

??? What are you talking about??

As for ungrounded stuff:
It is only allowed for "double insulated" devices, where no metal is exposed - or you assume that the ground comes from somewhere else (TV for example).

As for unfused:
My Water Heater is fused, the frier is fused in some way or another.

So I don't get where your "desire for fire" comes from. Its not a Problem with the way its done.

Why are you trying to tell me that its more expensive?!

Here Price from Amazon.de:
https://www.amazon.de/Kopp-Schutzkontakt-Steckdose-Wandmontage-creme-weiß-113601071/dp/B006ROZU8U/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1550725455&sr=1-1&keywords=Kopp+Steckdose

1,95€ -> 1,7 Pound

And that the prices are higher in regions where you usually don't use/need the stuff should be obvious...

For example the cheapest Busch-Jäger Outlet is like 5 Pounds or so on UK Amazon and 3€ (2,45€ from not Amazon) in the German version. Because its a common product in Germany while its not in UK, obviously.

Guess which is cheaper on a per socket basis, (i'm assuming from your comments double socket outlets aren't common where you are).

The German, because its cheaper where it is commonly used.

Also we have 32A because we like to be able to plug in more than one thing at once, whilst a TV plus a couple of other things wouldn't be a problem,, it certainly wouldn't be hard to overload a 16A breaker, i probably have enough stuff running in my bedroom right now to blow the upstairs circuit on a 16 A beaker. If not i'm pretty close and i'm pretty sure the stuff in the other bedroom would add upto more than 16A.

We do the same, the difference is we use 16A Breakers for 1,5mm² (or according to people its 13A for new installations and from what I've heard according to the new regulation, light and plugs should be seperate). 

We just use more breakers. 

I think your problem is that you have no understanding of how the German Installation works and assumes that because the Brits do it, so do the Germans and think that they are the same. They are not.

For example a German Breaker Box is beautiful and clean. 

Something like that:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elektrischer_Verteiler

In a German Installation, its common to use a whole Dozen breakers in a normal 3 room Flat.

A Washing Machine has its own cable to the breaker your stove has 3 Breakers and so on.

And from what people told me, with new regulation you have 1 breaker for light for each room and 1 for the outlets.

And of course the RCD for the Bath/Shower room.

Lastly, again if someone's being electrocuted by a power tool

Nobody is talking about electrocution, except you.

There are other situations where a tool might be misused or abused or something else went wrong that might require pulling the plug ASAP.

and A) the earthing hasn't prevented it, B) the plug fuse hasn't blown, (you've got a flat short), C) the main breaker hasn't gone,

Modern Power Tools are double insulated, so there is no need for ground because no metal thing is exposed or has contact with the power.

And that's not what might happen. There are other things...

Your probably so crappy at safety awareness that you won't even realise they're being electrocuted.

Why the Insuls? Because I have shown you a situation where the british plug is not optimal??

What you don't seem to realize is that I'm talking about something that happened to me when I was younger, had the wrong clothings and a Problem with a power drill.

Thankfully the Plug went out of the outlet, without that, my right hand might be in a worse shape than it is right now...

So could you pls stop claiming the superiority of the British Plug without really looking into the other side?!

That you have to have a fuse in the plugwhen your circuit is fused with 32A and the Plug for 13A should be obvious.

But that is the Problem on YOUR end and not on my end. 

We use one lead for one "high power" device like a dish washer.

We don't do this ring shit you do.