Linux Kernel For Virtualization?

Hello LTT, I need some help. I want to be able to setup a few servers which I have to split up their processing power into VMs through a website client, so I can rent out my processing power to some people who want to not draing their wallet into the google cloud. I can elaborate further if anybody has any questions. Thank You.

i like trains 🙂

2 hours ago, ImplosiveNUTech said:

Hello LTT, I need some help. I want to be able to setup a few servers which I have to split up their processing power into VMs through a website client, so I can rent out my processing power to some people who want to not draing their wallet into the google cloud. I can elaborate further if anybody has any questions. Thank You.

What do you need help with?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

15 minutes ago, Sauron said:

A linux kernel for easy virtualization deployment.

i like trains 🙂

19 minutes ago, ImplosiveNUTech said:

A linux kernel for easy virtualization deployment.

There is only one Linux kernel. If you mean a distribution, CentOS is a good start.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

39 minutes ago, Sauron said:

There is only one Linux kernel. If you mean a distribution, CentOS is a good start.

Yes i mean distro

Ill look into centos

i like trains 🙂

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

I think he wants something like unraid for free, or esxi

CentOS and Fedora, I think, have some of RHEL's virt tools (virt-manager etc).  OpenSuSE might have some of SLES's tools too, but I'm not sure.  Although, almost all distros have the kvm modules and qemu packages available (libvirt too).

"Anger, which, far sweeter than trickling drops of honey, rises in the bosom of a man like smoke."

Most linux distros are capable of running a VM of some sort.

For what you are doing, you're going to need to do a lot of network side config on top of the VMs. CentOS, Ubuntu Server, Debian (assuming they are using a new enough kernel now) should all do what you want. If you use CentOS, make sure to look into ELRepo, CentOS is kinda useless without it.

There's also a free version of ESXi, albeit without any multi server management (called vsphere in vmware marketing) available without shelling out. If you're running multiple servers, openstack might also be something to try out.

I suspect for what you want to do, you'll be doing a LOT of config on the network side (outside of the server as well as inside) to split everyone up correctly. You'll know a lot about vlans and firewall setups by the time you are done :)