High End VS Mid Range

Hi Guys

I am planing to build a new system to replace my 5 Year old one. My budget is $5000+ so a high end system is feasible.

My problem is that I don't necessarily need such a system. Let me explain:

My goals for the system are the following:

1. I want to play my favorite games.

For the last three years I pretty much exclusively played Guild Wars 2, Warframe and Runescape 3. I never even touched "high end games" like        Battlefield, Rise of the Tomb Raider or even GTA5.

2. Monitors.... ALL OF THEM!!!

I am crazy for multi monitor setups. At the moment I'm using six of them and planning to buy one more (don't judge me?). They are all just your standard 1920×1080p monitors so nothing special. (one is a 1920×1080p TV which I set as a 4k display for scaling).

3. Multitasking

i often have at least 2 of the mentioned games open, a dozen different chrome tabs, Discord; music, etc. My system should be able to handle this.

4. Streaming

I am planing to start life streaming(not sure by yet).

Now with all thees goals in mind I'm asking myself if it is worth to blow my hole budget on a Threadripper, some RTX 2080s, etc. or if I am better of building a mid range machine that is capable of all the above which I can upgrade over time.

Thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to some constructive feedback :D

for streaming, while opening 2 games, I'd reccommend at least 8 cores, and definetly 32gb of ram (i.e. 2 per  desktop, 10-12 per game)

also, you would either need a bunch of VGA splitters, or one of those crazy AMD eyefinity gpus, or 2 gpus.

Whats your budget?

2 minutes ago, Tuti13 said:

My budget is $5000+ so a high end system is feasible

I'll blow your whole budget on RGB, hold my beer

/S

Spend the rest on a cool vesa setup for hella monitors

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

for streaming, while opening 2 games, I'd reccommend at least 8 cores, and definetly 32gb of ram (i.e. 2 per  desktop, 10-12 per game)

also, you would either need a bunch of VGA splitters, or one of those crazy AMD eyefinity gpus, or 2 gpus.

Whats your budget?

My Budget is $5000+ but if a cheaper system does the job I'm fine with not spending all my money. ^^

And yes i need at least two GPUs and lots of RAM/cores.

My Budget is $5000+ but if a cheaper system does the job I'm fine with not spending all my money. ^^

And yes i need at least two GPUs and lots of RAM/cores.

I think something for 2500$ should be good, a pair of RTX 2080s, and a 2920X, and 32-48gb of ram.

I'll make a list, is there any aesthetics you like? i.e. black and red, rgb, silver/blue, black white, orange, etc.

And yes i need at least two GPUs

What for though? I don't see anything in your original post about multi GPU enhanced workloads.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

What for though? I don't see anything in your original post about multi GPU enhanced workloads.

Most video cards only have 4 or 5 outputs or am I missing something?

1 minute ago, Tuti13 said:

Most video cards only have 4 or 5 outputs or am I missing something?

well there was that aforementioned video splitter possibility, but if you did want to get dual graphics to solve that you could I guess.

Primary PC:

You could always get rid of your current monitors and simplify it to 4 monitors at 4k or 1440p rather than 1080p. More real estate on each monitor in terms of pixels and  you could upgrade to a larger screen. who needs 7, 24 inch displays when you can have 4, 35 inch displays?

If it was my own money, it would be a 2700X, RTX2080(just on case you got into some more demanding titles) for primary output, with the screens you actually game on directly connected, and something like a GTX1060 or even a GTX1050ti for the secondary, just for the added video outs. 32GB of ram should be enough, but make sure when you're looking at motherboards, you find something that will support all four slots with dual sided dimms, and at 3000mhz or higher. This will be more of a challenge than it would seem on the surface.

Given your budget though, you would arguably be better served by an Intel Core i9-9900K, I just personally couldn't pay 2/3rds more for it over the 2700X.

7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

well there was that aforementioned video splitter possibility, but if you did want to get dual graphics to solve that you could I guess.

Wouldn't one GPU on its own struggle a bit?

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

You could always get rid of your current monitors and simplify it to 4 monitors at 4k or 1440p rather than 1080p. More real estate on each monitor in terms of pixels and  you could upgrade to a larger screen. who needs 7, 24 inch displays when you can have 4, 35 inch displays?

This may actually be one of the best real world use cases for that LG 4k that takes four individual inputs!

Just now, Tuti13 said:

Not unless you were actively running games on every screen. But for the cost of quality splitting, a secondary low end GPU makes more sense in my opinion.

Depends how many runescape alts you have :P

Certainly not, for running desktop backgrounds and chrome tabs. Multiple lightweight games is even easy on a 1070, I used to run a VR game and overwatch on my PC at the same time.

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, NinJake said:

I would really like to keep the monitors I have at the moment. I've built a custom rig to mount them all which was a bunch of work that I don't want to go to waste ;)

So in total:

Lots of CPU cores and RAM

One Good GPU for the games

One GPU just for the connections

Am I getting this right?

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, NinJake said:

Depends how many runescape alts you have :P

On 2 accounts at max settings my vega 56 is around 60-70% usage (1 ultrawide and 1 16:9 1080P), runescape at max settings can start to use come resources ahah, much more demanding than osrs