YouTube changes it's Community Guidelines strike system

STEMgrh

YouTube just announced that they are changing their copyright strike system, but is it better than the old system? I thought that it would be appropriate to post this article, because Linus has, reasonably been so heated over the system.

Source:

YouTube creator blog post: https://youtube-creators.googleblog.com/2019/02/making-our-strikes-system-clear-and.html

Secondary source:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/02/19/youtube-new-strikes-system/

Edit: Sorry for my bad formatting. It is my first time posting a news article.

Idk if I would trust The Verge as a reliable source on this thought ?

Edit : Thanks for the change !

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I just read official Youtube creator post, Verge is not going to get my click on their website 

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1st strike is guaranteed 1 week upload ban now.

OOF

Also here's the video since it can be embedded in the forums:

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

The first strike will result in a one-week freeze on the ability to upload any new content to YouTube, including live streaming, and other channel activities. Strikes will expire after 90 days.

wow, thats harsh. most strikes happen on accident, its stupid to punish people for it.

seems like youtube still hasn't learned, anything past the warning strike seems more harsh then before....plus no mention on handling situations like the verge abusing the system, any better

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700x  (evga 240 AIO cooling)
PBO Settings:
Boost Override CPU: +200
CO: -17 all core
PPT: 140
TDC:  110
EDC: 150
Scalar: Auto

Mobo: Asrock x570 steel legend wifi ax

GPU: asrock challenger 7800xt 16 gb

Ram: 32 gb @3600 mhz

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000

Storage: 1tb Samsung 860 ssd, 1tb nvme, 2tb Hitachi HDD, 3tb HDD for media

Display: Samsung 27" CHG70 1440p QLED Monitor

The first strike will result in a one-week freeze on the ability to upload any new content to YouTube, including live streaming, and other channel activities.

Good LORD that's harsh. That's way worse than it was. Small Youtubers without an MCN are gonna get fucked by this.

honestly i think this is good.

remember, its for actual strikes, like legal DMCA takedown requests.  not related to the content ID system.

while yes, its more harsh, its also more black and white.  a much clearer line drawn, which is much more important than the severity

plus, now you get a warning. which will be enough for most people

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

As a small youtube channel, that used to be monetized before they made it so only larger channels can be, this really doesn't bother me.  I've only had a Content ID hit me once, and it was because part of a song was on a radio in public while I made all the content (filming out in public space), so that claim went away.  Hopefully it removes a bit more of the click bait crap.

The concern is that people will get herd mentality stupid and find ways to silence and remove any content they don't agree with.  But, abuse of the prior system was rampant to, so I don't think it'll get worse in that aspect, just different.

12 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

at this point any change to it is a welcomed one

13 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

honestly i think this is good.

remember, its for actual strikes, like legal DMCA takedown requests.  not related to the content ID system.

while yes, its more harsh, its also more black and white.  a much clearer line drawn, which is much more important than the severity

17 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

it was needed. hope it's better now, for me, for creators, for youtube, for everyone

One of you guys needs to explain how is this addressing the glaring issue of lack of human touch to the strikes. You know, talking about situations where a musician got copyright striked for his own song and whatnot. 

I may be missing something but not enough harshness was not the thing people were complaining about when discussing strikes.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

As mentioned, everyone who uploads content to YouTube will now receive a warning the first time their content crosses the line. Although the content will be removed, there will be no other penalty on the channel. There will be only one warning and unlike strikes, the warning will not reset after 90 days.

• The first strike will result in a one-week freeze on the ability to upload any new content to YouTube, including live streaming, and other channel activities. Strikes will expire after 90 days.
  • The second strike in any 90-day period will result in a two-week freeze on the ability to upload any new content to YouTube.
  • The third strike in any 90-day period will result in channel termination.

https://youtube-creators.googleblog.com/2019/02/making-our-strikes-system-clear-and.html

All this means is you no longer lose your ability to live stream the first time you receive a DMCA copyright notice/takedown notice (not to be confused with Copyright Claim which does not issue a strike). After that it's pretty much the same old system. This is purely just a change to the way punishment is handed out. It appears to me that YouTube is still acting with the approach that anyone who receives a DMCA takedown notice must be guilty of copyright infringement, and that now they're simply being more forgiving when people do break the rules by giving them a one-time warning before issuing community strikes and limiting their features.

Unfortunately this doesn't actually address one of the biggest issues of the system, and that is intentional abuse or misuse of the system. None of these changes will deter someone from intentionally filing a false claim. These changes offer absolutely no changes to the dispute resolution system to allow creators to protect themselves against false or malicious attacks via the copyright strike system, or even just if the creator wants to argue against a copyright notice because they felt that they met the criteria for Fair Use and are thus permitted to use the content in question. There's also no deterrent to prevent people from intentionally making false claims. As an example, these changes do absolutely nothing to prevent what happened between The Verge and Bitwit/ReviewTechUSA.

Spoiler

Edited by Spotty
structuring, added stuff... x2

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

19 minutes ago, poochyena said:

wow, thats harsh. most strikes happen on accident, its stupid to punish people for it.

I mean that's not necessarily true.  In fact, it's probable that most strikes are in fact legitimate.  The problem is that when they are not legitimate, like in the case with Kyle, there is not much recourse.  Fortunately, he has a big enough channel and the community rallied hard enough (or that the strike was withdrawn by the verge, though I still have doubt about that) that it was reversed quickly. There are smaller channels that these strikes happen to, for either no reason or for illegitimate reasons (like extortion) that this can absolutely cripple.  While it would be very difficult to manually go through all the copyright stricken material, you would think YT would have the man power to at least respond to reasonable protest in a timely manner with an explanation that makes sense. 

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Unfortunately this doesn't actually address one of the biggest issues of the system, and that is intentional abuse or misuse of the system. There's no mention of changes to the way disputed notices are reviewed, and no mention of punishing those who repeatedly file false takedown notices. None of these changes will deter someone from intentionally filing a false claim. As an example this does absolutely nothing to prevent what happened between The Verge and Bitwit/ReviewTechUSA, and offers absolutely no changes to the dispute resolution system to allow creators to protect themselves against false or malicious attacks via the copyright strike system.

Not to mention that I bet it would be a PITA to get that never-expiring warning to be removed and saved for a real situation if it turns out that you got it because someone abused the system.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

But the old system worked so well...

\s

7 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

One of you guys needs to explain how is this addressing the glaring issue of lack of human touch to the strikes. You know, talking about situations where a musician got copyright striked for his own song and whatnot. 

I may be missing something but not enough harshness was not the thing people were complaining about when discussing strikes.

human touch is good but it's complex & takes a lot of hours to review , content ID is efficient tho bad it gets the job done for literal thousands of videos being uploaded every second & the original creator don't have to wait till his content is unfairly monetized to the max and abused by a "stealing" 3rd party that is unfairly using his work,  then having it go through a lengthy review after it's been abused,  it replaces the headache , but this is a very broad range issue , either ways 100% human intervention system review would most likely end up being too affiliated & influential when it comes to outcome, it's depended on politics mixed in with personal opinions majority of the time, this is not just a single case, it expands into various territories of review,  it can influence outcome in an unfair manner, people will be caught up in content policing excessively rather than being fair,  it'd be a good thing with content ID doing all the heavy lifting for now & later analyzed manually when it is challenged, we've already seen it , we need it to be more efficient.

Details separate people.

10 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Unfortunately this doesn't actually address one of the biggest issues of the system, and that is intentional abuse or misuse of the system. 

Nor the issue with timing: as far as I understood from the discussion these days, the 90-day window refers to the strikes, not the dates of the videos. Which means that sweeping through a channel's history may burn the warning and all three strikes at once if a (self-proclaimed) copyright holder suddenly takes issue with a type of content you produce regularly.

I think Linus was definitely right. This really does seem like a reaction to the stuff going on in the EU. Their talk about consistency across the platform and such.

21 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

You're not wrong. it doesnt address the lack of a human touch.

However, it gives a warning now, so the first strike doesnt even give you a strike instead of shutting you out of your channel.  which should be more than enough in most cases.   

its not a perfect system. and its near impossible to get a perfect system, they dont have the manpower. too many requests to be handled by real people.   but its a step in the right direction, which is a good start

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.