Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jeff C

High CPU Temps on Watercooling?

Recommended Posts

Just now, ad1das said:

... are you serious right now... i have never setup a system like you are suggesting, and i never have heat issues.  There is no such thing as too much exhaust....  and heat rising isnt a myth.  It doesnt apply as much in an application where it is watercooled since nothing is really getting hot enough to make the internal temps high, but the way he has it setup is the correct way.

Please stop now, you're making a fool of yourself, I have the top rad as intake and front as exhaust. I have better temps than our man here. Heat rises when there is no airflow, since we have a small volume of air and fans pushing air around, it's actually impossible for air to rise regardless of watercooling or not. There is too much thing as too much exhaust because thats what we are seeing right now, it will be pulling air from the cracks in the case etc to try and keep up with the lack of air being pushed in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

Please stop now, you're making a fool of yourself, I have the top rad as intake and front as exhaust. I have better temps than our man here. Heat rises when there is no airflow, since we have a small volume of air and fans pushing air around, it's actually impossible for air to rise regardless of watercooling or not. There is too much thing as too much exhaust because thats what we are seeing right now, it will be pulling air from the cracks in the case etc to try and keep up with the lack of air being pushed in.

If thats the case, then why would I have had lower temps before, When i was running in the Phanteks case I had the top 360 pushing air out, the rear exhausting as default and just a basic 140 rad up front pulling air in.  in the prime95 stress test on that set up my cpu hit 60c after 1.5 hours.  I don't mean to de-credit or disrespect your suggestion, i just dont see how before when I had even less intake i was still getting better cooling.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its up to you take my advice and all the experimentation i've done over the last 5-6 years or even better listen to linus or just do what you want. I'll leave this vid here but after that i'm out.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Figured it out.  My PWM controller for the front fans was jacked, fixed, it up and now im getting 50 CPU underload, and 34 GPU

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Jeff C said:

Figured it out.  My PWM controller for the front fans was jacked, fixed, it up and now im getting 50 CPU underload, and 34 GPU

Tried flipping the fans yet to get better cooling? You might be surprised.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 hours ago, Benjeh said:

Tried flipping the fans yet to get better cooling? You might be surprised.

no, that will be a weekend thing, im going to replace the TIM as well and play around with everything then.  right now im sitting comfy at 40C on GPU and 52C CPU

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jeff C said:

no, that will be a weekend thing, im going to replace the TIM as well and play around with everything then.  right now im sitting comfy at 40C on GPU and 52C CPU

now you're talking! much better.

 

My temps right now, but my room is boiling!
 

Spoiler

image.png.99af5b573df3355e9d171c92e56f00d5.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 hours ago, Benjeh said:

now you're talking! much better.

 

My temps right now, but my room is boiling!
 

  Hide contents

image.png.99af5b573df3355e9d171c92e56f00d5.png

 

NICE!.   If i have the ambition I have a 360 PE Rad in the closet, I might replace the 240 front with that, and get some extra intake

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Benjeh said:

yes, look at your config, you have 4 fans sucking air out, only 2 pulling it in, negative air pressure, you're starving the rads.

It depends on the case and rpm:s. Define r6 has an open bottom with dust filter so there is an easy way for air to enter. Just check the h500 reviews if you think negative pressure is somehow a disaster. I does a bit better than r6 while being a bit louder and a bit of fiddling with fan speeds should pretty much equal it out. https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3309-nzxt-h500-case-review-thermals-noise-vs-s340

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thinwalrus said:

It depends on the case and rpm:s. Define r6 has an open bottom with dust filter so there is an easy way for air to enter. Just check the h500 reviews if you think negative pressure is somehow a disaster. I does a bit better than r6 while being a bit louder and a bit of fiddling with fan speeds should pretty much equal it out. https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3309-nzxt-h500-case-review-thermals-noise-vs-s340

I have a define S, positive pressure nets me better temps. and in my 500R before that, and in the other 6 rigs ive built. Work smarter not harder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

I have a define S, positive pressure nets me better temps. and in my 500R before that, and in the other 6 rigs ive built. Work smarter not harder.

Anecdotes from an opinionated person vs methodical tests. Hard to know what to believe in :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thinwalrus said:

Anecdotes from an opinionated person vs methodical tests. Hard to know what to believe in :D

Ah so my real world experiments account for nothing because of one youtube video? I best make a video then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn’t that simple. Million variables. Not a real test, especially with the lack of a control. 

 

Just personal results. Like what every one has. 


Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 16GB, EVGA 1080 SC, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer xG270HU 2560x1440@144hz

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

@Benjeh i flipped the fans on top as intake, it lowered the average temps by maybe 3-5 degrees. I feel like its my fault for not specifying more clearly my question.  My cpu temps dont sit at 60 consistently, they jump 24-40-30-60-28-50, usually when Im loading an application or waking from sleep or oddly enough going to sleep.  While I know cpu temps should increase when a new instruction set is delivered i dont think it should be spastic.  My next tests will be Tim application, and fan controller, maybe the fan hub that came with the case is just basic.

Anyway I'll update with more testing but I am chipping away at it slowly

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jeff C said:

@Benjeh i flipped the fans on top as intake, it lowered the average temps by maybe 3-5 degrees. I feel like its my fault for not specifying more clearly my question.  My cpu temps dont sit at 60 consistently, they jump 24-40-30-60-28-50, usually when Im loading an application or waking from sleep or oddly enough going to sleep.  While I know cpu temps should increase when a new instruction set is delivered i dont think it should be spastic.  My next tests will be Tim application, and fan controller, maybe the fan hub that came with the case is just basic.

Anyway I'll update with more testing but I am chipping away at it slowly

Your temps are lowing on average because the rads not getting starved now, 3-5c is a good show of what i was saying. Temp jump what you're describing is normal, I get peaks of 70c but I don't know why as when I stress test etc It won't got that high at all. I think its down to a read error. the only way my rads get hot is if my fans aren't spinnning fast enough for the given load, but its very varied so even if i set my fans up in speedfan they're always not quite right ever so slightly.

It will be fine when I fit my 1080mm rad, there's literally no way in hell the coolant will get warm to the touch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I was also thinking read error.  I'm not really concerned about the safety of the system so much as I hate how the fans go from quiet to jet engine so much.  But those are things I plan on switching down the road

On 2/19/2019 at 1:10 PM, Benjeh said:

The fractal case is perfectly fine for watercooling, it has mounts for it, they converted some of the internals to produce the Define S which is a full on supported watercooling case. My temps are from the define S with front panel fitted with 10mm space between the front ran mounted externally behind the front bezel, you can see in the image if you look close enough the rad through the bezel.

Here is my set up

Link to post
Share on other sites

An Aquero can do all that. Or wait till you get a better board. 


Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 16GB, EVGA 1080 SC, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer xG270HU 2560x1440@144hz

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jeff C said:

I was also thinking read error.  I'm not really concerned about the safety of the system so much as I hate how the fans go from quiet to jet engine so much.  But those are things I plan on switching down the road

Here is my set up

The image isn't showing up for me my dude, If you want to stop your fans going insane then download speed fan and it will give you a lot of control over your fans. You can buy an Aquero like @Mick Naughty Suggested too but they're very pricey and I can't justify that cost right now, it is however a future purchase down the line. The only issue with speedfan is it takes ages to in order to set everything up how you like it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 4:57 PM, Jeff C said:

I think my GPU temps are fine for my card tbh, lower than it use to its, only the cpu thats the concern..maybe the fans, what your opinion on the vardars, i been eyeing the vardar 120?  Im using the EK TIM on the GPU, and Cooler Master TIM on the CPU, thinking of maybe replacing that with either EK or A.S

I would be fairly amazed if using liquid metal TIM didn't bring down CPU temps quite a lot. I can't understand why one would go to one extreme (putting water inside a PC!) and not go to the other (metal on the heat spreader).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t think water is a pc is that extreme. Especially given how common place aio’s are. 


Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 16GB, EVGA 1080 SC, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer xG270HU 2560x1440@144hz

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My 9900K hits 45c during gaming when not overclocked, and when overclocked to 5.3 it goes up to 60C more or less.

 

How much voltage have you crammed into the CPU?

 

EDIT: 1.3V okay, so I think maybe the pump or fans are running too slow? / rads are slim and you need to compensate with fan speed.


Main PC:

CPU: Octa Core - i9 9900K 5.3 Ghz 1.37V (All cores) (Cinebench R15: Single 231, Multi: 2294) SALE PENDING

CPU: 18 Core - i9 10980XE 3.0Ghz Base - (All cores) (Cinebench: Unknown) NOT RELEASED YET

Motherboard: Z390 Gigabyte AORUS MASTER. SALE PENDING

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark. NOT YET IN USE

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB x 4 DIMMS, C14 3200Mhz.

Patriot Viper 8GB x 4 DIMMS, C19 4500Mhz Samsung B-DIE.

GPU: Water cooled RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition SLI (+170 Core) (+930 memory) (2145 boost clock on both) with EKWB Vector blocks on each.

Case: ThermalTake X9.

Storage: 2x Samsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe (3500MB/S Read, 3300MB/S Write), 2x Samsung EVO 860 500GB SSD, 1x Samsung EVO 860 4TB SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda.

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables.

Display: 3x Ultrawide Acer Predator X34P 34" Inch G-Sync 120Hz displays IPS with Nvidia surround running at 10320 x 1440 120Hz.

Cooling: Custom Loop EKWB CoolStream 480mm XE 3x radiators and 1x EKWB CoolStream 240mm XE radiator with 2x D5 Revo RGB PUMP, 14x Noctua Industrial 3000RPM fans on rads and 2x in the case, 200mm ThermalTake 800RPM fan (front).

VR: Pimax 4K with NOLO VR.

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX RGB.

Sound: T6300 Creative 5.1 speakers.

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum.

Piano: Yamaha P155.

Phone: Razer Phone 2.

Smart watch: Moto 360 2nd Gen.

Camera: Logitech C922.

3D Printer: Creality Ender 3 Pro.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×